Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cincinnati impounding cars with oversize wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 10:14 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe majority of these cars have inadequate braking.
Old 04-06-11, 10:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I believe majority of these cars have inadequate braking.
Wouldn't be surprising. Big monster-wheels and tires like that have a lot of rotational-energy in the weight, and that throws an extra load on the brakes.

[/QUOTE]
Old 04-06-11, 10:25 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

geez let people just live,,i like seein 30inch spinners,,,hahaha
Old 04-06-11, 11:25 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by baadhabit
my question is what is considered "oversized wheels"? dunks of course fit that but could that also include anything after market thats not OEM sized like the majority of this forum, myself included.

i dont know what kind of site jalopnik is but i dont get the last part about "ll will between police and black residents". why are they throwing race into this.

Because donk is primarily a 'black style' (good or bad) and because Cincinnati is still healing from some racial issues that occurred not too long ago.

The point of the article is that the police are enforcing this impounding action on donk style in a healing neighborhood with no explanation why they are being targeted and maybe some thought should be given as to explaining why big rims are now an enforceable action.

Last edited by oohpapi44; 04-06-11 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-06-11, 11:30 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Obama needs to send the army to Cinncinati to overthrow the dictator over there.
Old 04-06-11, 11:34 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is next? Handing out tickets for having your car painted a certain colour or driving a foreign car?!
Old 04-06-11, 12:11 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chikoo
Obama needs to send the army to Cinncinati to overthrow the dictator over there.
lol, this did make me chuckle.
Old 04-06-11, 12:52 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Any evidence to back up either theory that 'donk' styled cars are more prone to either of what you claim above?

Not saying you're wrong because that style can't work here with the amount of potholes we have so I don't know, just wondering if there is any proof of this to be true or just speculation.
what evidence, the cops should not be doing what they are doing but they are, but as to what your asking, I have seen nice donks and I like them, most guys put a lot of time and money into these vehicles, most of these donks are sitting on truck frames, but of course you always have the few who will ghetto rig the **** out of the car and make it unsafe, just look at them, you can clearly tell a nice sweet donk from a disaster, it's like looking at lifted pickups, when you see a lift kit on a pickup you think wow, when you see a homedepot lifted truck with wood blocks you think WTF, really
Old 04-06-11, 12:56 PM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because donk is primarily a 'black style' (good or bad) and because Cincinnati is still healing from some racial issues that occurred not too long ago.

The point of the article is that the police are enforcing this impounding action on donk style in a healing neighborhood with no explanation why they are being targeted and maybe some thought should be given as to explaining why big rims are now an enforceable action.
the article doesnt use the word donk anywhere only "oversized wheels". to me "oversized wheels" = modded cars = all races

just a dumb article
Old 04-06-11, 01:06 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
what evidence, the cops should not be doing what they are doing but they are, but as to what your asking, I have seen nice donks and I like them, most guys put a lot of time and money into these vehicles, most of these donks are sitting on truck frames, but of course you always have the few who will ghetto rig the **** out of the car and make it unsafe, just look at them, you can clearly tell a nice sweet donk from a disaster, it's like looking at lifted pickups, when you see a lift kit on a pickup you think wow, when you see a homedepot lifted truck with wood blocks you think WTF, really
I've only seen them in person in Miami and ATL and one car meet here. Wood blocks? That's nuts.

Originally Posted by baadhabit
the article doesnt use the word donk anywhere only "oversized wheels". to me "oversized wheels" = modded cars = all races

just a dumb article
That would mean a reporter actually going out and doing an in depth interview to know what the style is called. Sadly it doesn't happen much anymore. Donk style is very prevalent in Cincy since it's going to be domestic cars that make up its' population. You're right about oversized though because it isn't defined.

The article isn't dumb though imo and is asking a genuine question. If you're going to go and anger a community by impounding their cars, an explanation may be warranted before doing so.

FUNKMASTER FLEX AUTO SHOW 2009
Old 04-06-11, 02:40 PM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what a donk is. I'm in the dirty south. We have donks here too
Old 04-06-11, 03:33 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

so have they given a concrete reason why they are impounding?
Old 04-06-11, 05:55 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

That is the point that you're missing. No one is arguing the legality or common sense aspect. Donk are a risk to other cars and lowered cars are a risk to themselves both because of height. But only one group is targeted in this case, with no explanation given and the group that is targeted happens to be made of of individuals with a shaky history with law enforcement.

If the law is going to be enforced, enforce it equally and impound lowered cars for the same reasoning listed in this thread.

My question was if there was any evidence that 'donk' poses any more of an immediate threat or risk than another style of car and I don't think there is any that I've seen.
That's a tough one. The way I see it, my enemy's enemy is my friend. And my enemy consists of stupid and illegally modified cars. To **** with 'em for all I care.

And on the condition of equality, it's a tough call to make. If you look at law enforcement from any perspective, it's not equal, nor will it ever be. The majority of the population in prison consists of ethnic minorities (of many types). Ever looked at crack-cocaine laws and enforcement? You can't possibly conclude that because it is unfair, we should just stop arresting people for crimes period. If they need to step up their game and treat all violators equally, so be it. But to propose (not insinuating that you are) that these donk cars should be left alone is ridiculous. I'm sure the reason they've stepped up enforcement is due to a local politician's complaint, somebody getting hurt or killed in an accident, or some other public over-reaction. . .
Old 04-08-11, 12:29 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/local_n...ne,-police-say

Official police explanation with video.
Old 04-08-11, 01:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

just another way to suck more money out of the citizens . They will make any excuse they can and in the end you have no choice other than to take it. I hate DONK style but I feel like this is going way to far

Quick Reply: Cincinnati impounding cars with oversize wheels