Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Montreal potholes are horrible!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-11, 09:42 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Montreal potholes are horrible!

A driver who rolled over a monster pothole in east-end Montreal early Saturday morning was knocked unconscious when his car's airbag deployed, according to a media report.

The accident occurred around 3:30 a.m. on Saturday on Ste. Catherine St. E. in the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve borough. The car rolled to a stop after the impact, and the driver was still unconscious when paramedics arrived.

He was taken by ambulance to a hospital. His current condition is unknown.
Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...#ixzz1GSINoN3T

I hit two massive ones yesterday, the second one actually bent my rim and gave me a flat tire My first flat tire yesterday, I am so proud

Anyone deal with potholes?
Old 03-12-11, 09:53 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Ya i deal with potholes, but theyr are usually are follwed with an "o ****" not an airbag to the face
Old 03-12-11, 10:33 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Talking

Must be a slow news day for that "reporter."

And

Big Mack
Old 03-13-11, 02:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Simple....it's the climate there in Montreal. Welcome to the Frost Belt. You will find roads with potholes and torn-up pavement all throughout the Great Lakes, Northeastern U.S., and SE Canada regions. From late October to early May, the region is pummelled by snowstorm after snowstorm, temperatures way below freezing (sometimes sub-zero), tons of road-salt, and the pavement is subjected to constant freeze-thaw cycles which break up the asphalt and concrete.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-13-11 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-14-11, 09:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even in temperate areas of CA, when a series of storms hits over several days, potholes surface in areas not known for the problem. Agreed, in general often a weather-related problem.
Old 03-14-11, 11:25 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

We have some pretty bad potholes here in Oklahoma. I remember seeing a lady on the news hitting a pothole that tore off her front bumper. It's hard to drive out here without running into massive holes in the road...
Old 03-14-11, 03:40 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tell me about it. Thank goodness in NYC I haven't been greeted with an airbag to the face, but we do have some doozies. I've been scared to take out my S550 since the AMG rims are soft as hell. Bent one last year on a small one... Driving my FJ everywhere lately.
Old 03-14-11, 05:39 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

havent seen many potholes around here, so im lucky.
Old 03-15-11, 03:53 PM
JessePS

"I was driving in the West Island Saturday. I took Hwy. 40 at St. Charles heading east when I hit the mother of all potholes. Hubcaps covered the grass along the frence from this hole's past victims. The hole was so deep it bottomed out the car (a rather large 1996 Dodge Stratus), broke all the suspension components of the passenger side and sent one ball joint through the mag wheel -- something my mechanic had never seen. I decided to scrap the car. Not going to spend $800 repairing a 15-year-old car."
Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...#ixzz1GiBDMLai
Old 03-15-11, 04:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Not to be confused with a sinkhole....
Old 03-15-11, 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Not to be confused with a sinkhole....
Correct. Sinkholes, at least as geologists define them, are usually caused by ground-water eating into limestone (Karst) conditions underground. That is also partly what causes underground caves and caverns. Potholes on road surfaces are usually caused by water seeping into cracks, freezing, expanding when it freezes, and causing chunks of pavement to break off. Road salt and de-icing chemicals, of course, speed up this process, because they keep the water liquid at lower temperatures, allowing it to freeze-and-thaw more times. For some reason (I don't know why), all else equal, black asphalt seems to develop potholes quicker than light-colored concrete...my guess is perhaps the low winter sun heats it up the dark surface quicker than lighter-colored concrete, accelerating the freeze-thaw process and water seepage in the cracks.
Old 03-15-11, 09:26 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
. For some reason (I don't know why), all else equal, black asphalt seems to develop potholes quicker than light-colored concrete...my guess is perhaps the low winter sun heats it up the dark surface quicker than lighter-colored concrete, accelerating the freeze-thaw process and water seepage in the cracks.
I think it's because concrete (properly done) is stronger, more durable, longer wearing, lower maintenance and more expensive to install than asphalt.
Old 03-16-11, 05:24 PM
scoobymike
Driver School Candidate

is there a way to consult your city council? I've had a few buddies file complaints and lawsuits against the city for the damages from the potholes