Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus U.S. dealer meeting notes - WSJ

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 08:52 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb Lexus U.S. dealer meeting notes - WSJ

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Toyota to Offer Lexus Rebates to Spur Brand's U.S. Sales
By MIKE RAMSEY

LAS VEGAS—Toyota Motor Corp. plans to offer rebates of up to $3,000 as well as subsidized financing on certain models in its Lexus brand as part of a drive to help the luxury brand goose sales and pass rival Mercedes-Benz by the end of the year, according to two people briefed by the company at a dealer meeting here.

Lexus has been the top-selling luxury make in the U.S. market for more than a decade but has fallen behind Mercedes this year. In the first nine months of 2010, Lexus has sold 162,438 vehicles, just behind Mercedes's total of 165,362.

At a gathering of Lexus dealers from across the country–the first such meeting in two years—company executives said Toyota is prepared to boost incentives in the next few weeks to spur sales, these people said. The incentives will low-interest financing and subsidized leases in addition to rebates, they said.

The meeting included an address by Toyota Chief Executive Akio Toyoda and was designed to fire up dealers after a rough year. Toyota and Lexus suffered sales slumps after quality and safety problems flared up earlier this year that were related to complaints some of their vehicles had a tendency to accelerate suddenly on their own.

Toyota eventually recalled more than eight million vehicles to fix problems with floor mats and gas pedals, and was ordered by U.S. regulators to pay a fine of $16.4 million, the maximum possible, for failing to report safety defects promptly enough.

Lexus's sales have increased just 8.7% so far this year, while the overall market has grown 10.3% and Mercedes's sales have jumped 21.3%.

Lexus is still ringing up strong sales of its RX sport-utility vehicle, but increasing numbers of consumers have come to see the look of some other Lexus models as uninspiring.

In Las Vegas, people briefed by Toyota said, dealers were told Lexus is planning a new advertising spots showing an RX 350 on top of a copy machine spitting out pictures of Mercedes and BMW models–implying competitors are trying to follow Lexus in the luxury SUV segment

Dealers were also shown a version of the 2013 Lexus GS sedan, which will be redesigned for that model year, these people said.

Toyota's leadership also is intent on appealing to younger buyers and is making a push in that direction. The average Lexus owner is 59 years old. Mercedes-Benz customers are 54 and BMW owners are 52 on average, according to Strategic Vision.

Lexus' efforts to gain more younger buyers can be seen in the new CT 200h, a five-door compact hybrid that will go on sale early next year in the U.S. Lexus also begins delivering its $375,000 carbon-fiber-wrapped LFA in January. The super sports car is a personal project of Mr. Toyoda, who is trying to put more juice in the auto maker's designs and powertrains.
IIRC last year's dealer meeting was cancelled/combined with Toyota's due to the financial crisis. Wonder which models will have the rebates? Much needed to compete with the incentives offered at rival brands, at this time, particularly with an aging lineup. As far as the ads go, they usually don't reference rivals directly, often that's done by underdogs, but if they take the 'we were first' approach e.g. hybrids might be different.

And...2013 model year GS, perhaps still a 2011 showing...?
Old 10-05-10, 08:56 PM
LexFather

Great find! It validates what I said in the sales thread that the 4th quarter will be a great time to buy a Lexus. BMW, Benz, Lexus are going to duke it out.

Will try to get GS info

Old 10-05-10, 08:58 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

lol what happened to the "we never cared about taking the crown" attitude from before. I knew that was a lie

interested in the rebates too...wonder if I would qualify on my order since we already discussed "terms"
Old 10-05-10, 09:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RXSF
lol what happened to the "we never cared about taking the crown" attitude from before. I knew that was a lie

interested in the rebates too...wonder if I would qualify on my order since we already discussed "terms"
This is not a new business tactic and I think BMW/BEnz on Lexus butt is a good thing. Many have said Lexus has slipped and gotten complacent in some areas.

I think 2010 was a SERIOUS wake up call to the company.

Once your car is not delivered and you did not sign the final arrangement you can qualify for any new rates/deals.

Old 10-05-10, 09:15 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do those totals for Mercedes include Sprinter vans?

Also...wish there was a little more information here. The dealer meeting from two years ago was a big deal when a certain someone came back and spilled the beans on the GX 460, LS Sport, and a few others.

This is lacking in product details, but an interesting read none-the-less.
Old 10-05-10, 09:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good business decision to drive sales.
Old 10-05-10, 09:37 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this will be good info for those going into the stealership to haggle.

i bet we'll still see the 4gs late 2011, going on sale spring 2012.

anyone here personally know any dealers? maybe they can tell us if the 4gs looks sexy or not.

all those auto mags got it wrong, talking about a 2012 model gs.
Old 10-05-10, 09:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

umm interesting, i wonder where the rebates will go to....
Old 10-05-10, 09:58 PM
RXSF

I would take an educated guess that they will go to the HS, IS, and ES, and although lexus rarely does anything special for the GS, it is highly probably that it will be included as well.

i hope they would do something like free maintenance with every new car purchase
Old 10-05-10, 10:12 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I would take an educated guess that they will go to the HS, IS, and ES, and although lexus rarely does anything special for the GS, it is highly probably that it will be included as well.

i hope they would do something like free maintenance with every new car purchase
3k for all sedans, it's been verified...
Old 10-05-10, 10:14 PM
RXSF

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
3k for all sedans, it's been verified...
oh *****. but that is a lot if I was in the market for a sedan
Old 10-05-10, 10:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

holy cow, serious? 3k rebate for all sedans? that's crazy!!!
Old 10-05-10, 10:52 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm going to e-mail the LFA brand manager and request this be applied to my purchase.
Old 10-05-10, 11:54 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Damn I'm so excited for the new GS, I thought 2GS to 3GS was a great success and the 4GS will be even better!
Old 10-06-10, 12:01 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The IS already has a great lease here in Cali. How much was Lexus already discounting it compared to the new $3000 off?

It's important to note, these new specials are likely for old models on their way out. For those taking advantage of this, they will end up with a car that will be outdated in a year or less. For some that may not matter, but being a car nut, that is defintely not something I'd personally want to do.

Quick Reply: Lexus U.S. dealer meeting notes - WSJ