Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

the gasoline thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-17, 11:03 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've heard this before too. I'm pretty cynical when it comes to this stuff and I assume the cost difference in gas comes down to more money spent on marketing than anything else. So with that frame of thought I just usually go for the Costco gas. I haven't really noticed any issues using it.
Old 10-11-17, 11:07 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I found this link and it seems to support what the Exxon owner told me....I'll still do Costco on price but have to wonder about top tier...

http://blogs.platts.com/2010/08/23/unbranded_vs_br/
Old 10-11-17, 12:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I have a friend who's father was in the gasoline hauling business for many years. He said the same thing, tankers roll up to the same fuel and load up, and then additives are added depending on which brand's formulation. The amount of additive is about the size of a propane tank for a grill, mixed into an entire tanker of gasoline (in other words, not very much).

I used to be a huge gas brand snob, and I never paid any attention to the cost of fuel, but ever since the downturn in the economy and that period when gas was like $5 a gallon (also around the time I had that conversation with my friend's dad), I have really stopped caring about brand and am much more conscious about cost. I buy whatever is cheaper. I don't use visibly old and ugly stations for fear their tanks are rusty and their equipment rusty, but a nice modern off brand station like a Liberty or a 7-11 or Sheetz or Wawa, Royal Farms something like that, I will pump fuel from there all day long. Just the other day, I drove one block past a Shell at $3.59 for premium and paid $2.91 for Premium at a Liberty station. I pumped nearly 20 gallons, that fillup at Liberty vs shell saved me $14. Thats real money. Yes I have gas points at shell, but I would have had to have saved $.70 off to just match the price at Liberty.

Hell, for $14 savings per tank you could put a bottle of Techron in with every fillup and STILL save $10 per tank.
Old 10-11-17, 12:42 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I almost exclusively use Costco gas and have for years. Every once in a while I'll fill up at Chevron or Shell if I'm pressed for time, but since I'm at Costco pretty much every week for diapers and the like, I just fill up there. I've been very happy with Costco gas quality.
Old 10-11-17, 12:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

At least part of the problem in today's engines goes beyond the quality (or non-quality) of the gas and its additives. With DI (Direct-Injection) engines, the air/fuel spray tends to by-pass the intake valves and stems, where little of the quality detergent-additives, even with a top-tier package like Chevron's Techroline, actually helps clean off the carbon deposits. If you dump a can of pure Techron or even BG-44K into the gas tank (the standard treatment on non-DI engines), it will simply go through the regular fuel-passages and injectors just like the gas does, by-passing the dirty valves.
Old 10-11-17, 12:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

I'd assume this is the official list

http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/
Old 10-11-17, 01:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I just don't know in light of the reality of how gasoline is distributed how you can be certain what is or is not TopTier gas even with that list...
Old 10-11-17, 01:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I regularly see tankers from two area wholesalers/distributors delivering gas to all of the local Stations. Shell, BP, Mobil, Speedway etc. The large gasoline marketers all advertise and market their additives as well as well as their franchised convenience stores, Is there much of a difference between V Power, Envigorate, Synergy, etc. additives? I don't know but for me not enough of a difference to foster any loyalty. I usually go by price, location and convenience.
Old 10-11-17, 04:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Well, as I understand it, it's not where or how gas is distributed that makes it Top Tier, but how it is refined, and (especially) what kind of additive-packages are in it. The Top-Tier brands, in general, have better additives in them, especially detergents....as discussed earlier, Chevron's Techron (Techroline) and Shell's V-Power have an especially good reputation. Years ago, Mobil used to have the best detergent additive, but since they were sold to Exxon, that's not necessarily the case any more, though it remains Top Tier.

True, different brands (and grades) of fuel are often delivered by the same tanker-ships, trains, and trucks (and sometimes by aircraft), but that really means little. If you are shipping good (or lousy) stuff, it doesn't matter how you actually deliver it to the local gas-stations. You could deliver it by horse and wagon....and it would still be the same stuff going into the pumps (well, no, not really, but you get the picture).
Old 10-11-17, 04:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

BTW, in the past, I think I've posted on this before, but I'll repeat it here. While we're on the subject of tanker-trucks, if you see one at a station that is actually pumping the gas underground into the storage tanks, it's a good idea to wait at least five minutes after the truck has finished pumping, and the driver has pulled the big hoses back up, before you actually fill your own tank. That's because, with old tanks underground (not necessarily with new ones) dirt and crud on the bottom of them get stirred up and mixed in with the gas during that high-pressure pumping underground. After a few minutes, those contaminants settle back down to the bottom, and then you're OK. True, filters in the pumps and in the pumping system are supposed to keep that stuff from actually being pumped into your tank, but they aren't always effective.

Here are some other tips for pumping....what I just mentioned is #2 on the list:

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-11-17 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-11-17, 05:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

i see 'top tier' as just a marketing program...

what's next 'top water' for bottled water?

there's 4 gas stations within 100 yards of one another on my way into town. the busiest is a racetrak, there's a shell, a bp and what was another bp but is now marathon. the marathon, which was pretty much made brand new (pumps, etc.) when it took over from bp, is generally the cheapest by a few cents, so i typically go there. i really don't think the gas there is going to be bad for my car.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Hell, for $14 savings per tank you could put a bottle of Techron in with every fillup and STILL save $10 per tank.
exactly.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, as I understand it, it's not where or how gas is distributed that makes it Top Tier, but how it is refined, and (especially) what kind of additive-packages are in it.
it has NOTHING to do with how it is refined... there's only a few refiners in the entire u.s. and since alleged additives vary by brand and are allegedly proprietary, it's hard to see how top tier could be applied consistently across brands unless it's just a marketing program for brands that want to stand apart and appear superior (no, really?). we've just read here that costco does nothing to their gas yet they're still 'top tier' (ooh look it has a shiny sticker! )
​​
so unless one goes all the time to an ancient hole in wall gas station, it likely makes no difference whatsoever where you go.
Old 10-11-17, 05:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

There are like a 125 plus refineries in the US.
Old 10-11-17, 06:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i see 'top tier' as just a marketing program...

what's next 'top water' for bottled water?
Bottled water doesn't have additives. There's little or no practical way to rate it.

there's 4 gas stations within 100 yards of one another on my way into town. the busiest is a racetrak, there's a shell, a bp and what was another bp but is now marathon. the marathon, which was pretty much made brand new (pumps, etc.) when it took over from bp, is generally the cheapest by a few cents, so i typically go there. i really don't think the gas there is going to be bad for my car.
Of those choices, I'd use the Shell, but that's up to you. Here in the D.C. area, Giant Food also has a discount-bonus program for Shell if you shop there and use the bonus cards. I don't know it there are any similiar programs in FL or not.

BTW, how's the gas situation down there after the hurricane?....stations all OK in your area, and cover from any damage?

we've just read here that costco does nothing to their gas yet they're still 'top tier' (ooh look it has a shiny sticker! )
Wrong. They apparently put better detergent additives in it than non-top-brands. Otherwise, they wouldn't be on the list that Dave posted.

(Steve had posted a copy of it earlier, too, but it looks like someone may have deleted it)
​​
so unless one goes all the time to an ancient hole in wall gas station, it likely makes no difference whatsoever where you go.
......except that, if one regularly uses hole-in-the-wall places, it would be wise to periodically use a system-cleaner like Techron or BG-44K, although, for reasons I've already stated, DI engines are more difficult to keep clean no matter what you use.

Pat Goss, BTW, Motorweek's Lead Technician, has spoken at length about this issue, on a number of call-in questions.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
There are like a 125 plus refineries in the US.
Good point, Jill.....but I think bit was referring to the number of refining companies, not the actual count of individual refineries.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-11-17 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-11-17, 06:32 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
I was in a shop today getting an inspection, and it happened to be an Exxon station, so I asked the owner what he thought about Top Tier, then Costco and Wawa.

Basically, he told me the tankers go to the terminal, the same tankers that haul to Wawa or Exxon, but when it is a branded gasoline, like Exxon/Mobil, Shell, BP, Gulf? he said additives are mixed into the gasoline per whatever formulation.

Then he said Costco and Wawa is unbranded, and he only recommends (not joking it's what he said) Wawa when you need to pull over and take a leak hahahahahaha

I told him but Costco is Top Tier, he said no, it's unbranded....so don't know who is right or wrong, but I've always been curious how the very same tanker fills up a Top Tier station, and also a non. The manner in which they pick up at the terminal does explain....
First of all there are differences in crude oil. Like sweet crude or heavy crude oil.
Heavy crude oil is high on sulphur contents(bad, rotten egg smell from the gasoline)
Can you tell the difference how the tail pipe exhaust smell?
Have ever oberved dilivery tanker filling up the storage tank athe gas station? Did you notice
what the tanker driver do?
Old 10-11-17, 06:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, as I understand it, it's not where or how gas is distributed that makes it Top Tier, but how it is refined, and (especially) what kind of additive-packages are in it. The Top-Tier brands, in general, have better additives in them, especially detergents....as discussed earlier, Chevron's Techron (Techroline) and Shell's V-Power have an especially good reputation. Years ago, Mobil used to have the best detergent additive, but since they were sold to Exxon, that's not necessarily the case any more, though it remains Top Tier.

True, different brands (and grades) of fuel are often delivered by the same tanker-ships, trains, and trucks (and sometimes by aircraft), but that really means little. If you are shipping good (or lousy) stuff, it doesn't matter how you actually deliver it to the local gas-stations. You could deliver it by horse and wagon....and it would still be the same stuff going into the pumps (well, no, not really, but you get the picture).
My point was that the different stations receive the same gas from the same distributor(s). The additives/detergents are different and I'm not really conviced there's too much difference between them other than how they are marketed.

Quick Reply: the gasoline thread