Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How can Lexus build performance credibility?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-11, 06:53 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How can Lexus build performance credibility?

Just a discussion topic.

Everyone knows that Lexus trails the likes of BMW, Mercedes, and Audi in terms of building performance oriented vehicles.

Yes they've shown some flashes of brilliance like the 2nd Gen GS400, IS-F and the LF-A, but it's still not part of their norm.

What are some ideas of how they can expand their performance credibility while not alienating their clientele?

My initial thoughts are more thought out "Sport" packages that can be added to the models from the factory. Similar to BMW it would have a different suspension, different seats, beefier steering wheel, increased speed limiter, etc. I think this is something very do-able. The F-Sport line can be pretty pricey compared to the "sport" packages offered by BMW, Mercedes, and Audi. I would think the sport package would be an in-between for the base and F-Sport lines.

Expansion of the F-line. GS-F would be the next logical step. A lot has been made of the current IS-F being a "skunkworks" project. I think it has proven to be fairly formidable against the competition, especially with the latest suspension tweaks. Imagine what the next gen could be when the chassis is developed with the IS-F in mind.

Does Lexus need to develop manual transmissions? I know the IS250 has one, but that's the weakest car in the IS-line. And also some sort of dual-clutch box? The IS-F has a modified automatic, but it's still overall an automatic.

Okay... your thoughts?
Old 01-09-11, 07:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

fsport is a good start, and it will continue to grow. i hope they start doing things more in-house rather than having those parts designed and made by other companies

fline cars for sure as well, it's a must if they want to establish in the market

but i think overall they also have to offer more sporty vehicles fundamentally, like a sportier sc. the current 2is is good. gs overall has to be more sporty as well, they already have the es and i don't think they are utilizing that advantage well enough
Old 01-09-11, 07:08 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

manual and new rwd coupe
Old 01-09-11, 07:26 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just follow benz and bmw,,make coupes and F sport off every model,,,
Old 01-09-11, 08:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,145 Likes on 1,387 Posts

i think f-sport is still pretty unknown, but lexus is trying a bit harder this time than the previous 'l-tuned' lame effort.

with the fuel economy crush for all makers, and lexus having a pretty limited product line, i doubt there will be a lot of room for significant emphasis on sport.

of course the LFA is some serious performance, but 500 units only makes it pretty invisible.
Old 01-09-11, 08:07 PM
LexFather

It takes time and patience. BMW only had the M3 and M5 until recently. In 1996 the only AMG car was a 6 cylinder C36. As we saw first hand they invested in their M/AMG and expanded the lineups. They also both participate in motorsport but Lexus does in Japan, its just less known here.

Remember the LFA was to be the first "F" product and then the lineup was to expand. The IS F was a skunkworks project that got approved, it wasn't originally in the product lineup. We saw the LFA team had a hand in the IS F for 2011 and they really improved things.

I think many have asked for a complete "Sport" pack and they finally did that with the IS F sport for 2011. Lexus gladly still offers F-sport parts.

They simply have to do what BMW, Benz and Audi has done. Expand.
CT F
IS F (sedan and coupe)
GS F
SC F
LS F
even a new sports car to slot under the LFA
RX F sport

Look at the IS F forum. The IS F wasn't much cheaper than the Germans many times. So many people blasted the car and said it would fail. Today the forum is full of owners, many switched or moved up to the IS F and many own a IS F with a M3 or something else. The car is clear proof people will pay for a high performance Lexus. Many of them are modding the cars, tracking the cars and they all seem to be very happy with quality and reliability.

It is clear there is a demand for higher performance from Lexus. Lets hope they expand the F line.

Last edited by LexFather; 01-09-11 at 08:12 PM.

Old 01-09-11, 10:27 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
fsport is a good start, and it will continue to grow.
This.

Originally Posted by jadu
manual and new rwd coupe
And that.
Old 01-10-11, 12:56 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the IS F forum. The IS F wasn't much cheaper than the Germans many times. So many people blasted the car and said it would fail. Today the forum is full of owners, many switched or moved up to the IS F and many own a IS F with a M3 or something else. The car is clear proof people will pay for a high performance Lexus. Many of them are modding the cars, tracking the cars and they all seem to be very happy with quality and reliability.
YEP
Old 01-10-11, 01:36 AM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AMG was a private tuner before it was brought into the fold by Mercedes Benz. The C36 might be the first in-house M-B AMG built.

I believe M-sport has been around forever, think of the original BMW M1 (late 70s). The M3 has been around since the late 80s?

Originally Posted by jadu
manual and new rwd coupe
+1
Old 01-10-11, 12:15 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thoughts are I expect Lexus to build performance credibility quietly and selectively. I think most sport editions and F-sport expansion will still emphasize Lexus-like luxury and that's fine with me.
Old 01-10-11, 12:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts

They are doing it right - F models like IS-F and F-Sport accessories... In Europe, they now sell F-Sport versions of IS.

They should introduce them for every new model coming out from now on.
Old 01-10-11, 12:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MaxNine
AMG was a private tuner before it was brought into the fold by Mercedes Benz. The C36 might be the first in-house M-B AMG built.

I believe M-sport has been around forever, think of the original BMW M1 (late 70s). The M3 has been around since the late 80s?

+1
Yes AMG was separate until Benz bought the in the early 1990s and the C36 was the first full AMG car. The 2010 SLS is actually the first AMG car not based on a previous Benz. So Lexus actually beat Benz to that feat.

The M1 was actually to be built by Lamborghini but due to issues it was eventually built by BMW. M3 was next, then M5 which were the only models until the Z4 M, then M6, X6M and X5M joined. Now a 1M is here.

It took decades for them to expand.

Old 01-10-11, 03:12 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yes AMG was separate until Benz bought the in the early 1990s and the C36 was the first full AMG car. The 2010 SLS is actually the first AMG car not based on a previous Benz. So Lexus actually beat Benz to that feat.
i think c43 may have been the first AMG mercedes. but they did not call it c43AMG

are japanese cars allowed to run in the DTM series? lexus could have a nice showing in that series with the IS line.
Old 01-10-11, 03:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by onihc
i think c43 may have been the first AMG mercedes. but they did not call it c43AMG

are japanese cars allowed to run in the DTM series? lexus could have a nice showing in that series with the IS line.
why wouldnt they be?
Old 01-10-11, 06:12 PM
crazybuggy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id like there to be a turbo'd IS model....

Quick Reply: How can Lexus build performance credibility?