Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Oh Lord...what have I done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 06:08 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Oh Lord...what have I done?

Wild hair flew up my 4th point of contact yesterday. What with the long distance trip across the northern half of the united states, a dwindling warranty and (somewhat) questionable reliability...My wife and I changed everything...again:

Can you guess what it is?

Here's a bigger hint:

Its a 2009 Ram 1500 SLT Quad-Cab 4x4...with flex fuel package:

Pardon the dirt, its been raining for about 6 days solid now.

We have been looking at a truck for about a year now. When we started looking, we quickly realized that Fuel Economy goes out the window...you really cant even consider it. If someone is to the point in their lives where they have to worry about affording gas, they probably shouldnt be looking at a truck. Even so, all things considered I dont think we did too bad, $21,000 OTD, gave me $15k on trade for the civic, which was EXTREMELY generous, so my financed amount is $6k. But GAS...OMG talk about a pig. Avg so far is 14mpg...a far cry from 30. But...we needed a truck, and 4wd for this long trip in winter. We didnt need a V8, but the truck was there, and the deal was right. All I have to say is, Dodge has come a LONG way in a short time.
Old 11-23-10, 06:14 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont get it. U buy a truck because u r going to be driving long distance?
Old 11-23-10, 06:22 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by chikoo
I dont get it. U buy a truck because u r going to be driving long distance?
No, I bought a truck PARTLY because I was going to be driving long distance in the middle of winter on I-90, across the rockies and the cascades. Other reasons include:

-Long term versatility. No matter what I need to do, I can do it. You would be suprised how many times in the last 6 months I needed a truck and didnt have one.

-Amazing Warranty, the warranty on my Civic was up in january.

-4wd is handy in many situations.

-The civic was coming up on a major service, and we sunk quite a bit of money into it already. Though largely reliable, it was the little, repetitive things that got old, brakes here, wheel bearing there, etc.

-The deal was Insane. I got 4% on the financed amount, and the trade covered a HUGE chunk of the truck. I got $3k over what my trade was worth, in addition to that, the truck is worth quite a bit more than I paid.

There are other reasons, but those are the big ones.
Old 11-23-10, 06:33 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!

How the heck did they give you $15K trade for a 6 year old Civic with 50+K on it and in need of work??? Dodge has got to be desperate to move metal right now. They aren't making money on this deal. Good for you though!

Although I wouldn't get a truck, I don't question your buy. When you need one, you need one. And the Ram is a great truck as of late. This is Chrysler's best product right now. It's my favorite truck along with the Tundra.

I am surprised you were having issues with your Civic though. I have a Yaris with 100,000 miles on it and it has just needed oil changes. It rides like brand new. Even the original brakes are at 45%.
Old 11-23-10, 06:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

congrats. trucks are definitely handy and i like that yours has 4 real doors - the tiny reverse rear doors are a pain, esp. in parking lots - you can get 'trapped' between the doors, lol.

even w/ 4wd, be careful in snow!
Old 11-23-10, 06:57 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Great looking truck - I so want one.

I have absolutely no need of a truck. But I want one.
Old 11-23-10, 07:33 AM
LexFather

Lovely truck, congrats!

Old 11-23-10, 07:57 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, a real truck is best for certain uses no doubt. I frequently drive a truck-based SUV in winter and other adverse conditions.

I think I know what the "flex fuel" option is.
Old 11-23-10, 08:17 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Just remember though that a truck isn't invincible in snow.

It's certainly great plowing through the deep stuff but when it comes to slipping and sliding on packed down and icy roads, you're just as vulnerable as a compact sedan. And with an empty bed, there's very little weight holding your tail end in place.

I run dedicated winters on my Yaris S sedan during the winter and I can get through anything under about 8 inches of snow. Winter tires is what works wonders, not necessarily the 4 wheel drive. I feel like I'm in a Jeep while actually being in a sub-compact.

In fact I also own a Wrangler (wife's really), and honest to God, I always wanted to take the Yaris out on the snow days! And I did, leaving the Jeep sitting at home. It's so much fun.
Old 11-23-10, 09:16 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Just remember though that a truck isn't invincible in snow.

It's certainly great plowing through the deep stuff but when it comes to slipping and sliding on packed down and icy roads, you're just as vulnerable as a compact sedan. And with an empty bed, there's very little weight holding your tail end in place.

I run dedicated winters on my Yaris S sedan during the winter and I can get through anything under about 8 inches of snow. Winter tires is what works wonders, not necessarily the 4 wheel drive. I feel like I'm in a Jeep while actually being in a sub-compact.

In fact I also own a Wrangler (wife's really), and honest to God, I always wanted to take the Yaris out on the snow days! And I did, leaving the Jeep sitting at home. It's so much fun.
I grew up in Alaska and drove pickups the whole time I was there, you are correct, they are definately NOT invincible in the snow. Its so easy to kick your butt out from under you and before you know it you are staring into oncoming traffic, or at a snow drift, or worse.
Old 11-23-10, 09:22 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Congrats!

How the heck did they give you $15K trade for a 6 year old Civic with 50+K on it and in need of work??? Dodge has got to be desperate to move metal right now. They aren't making money on this deal. Good for you though!

Although I wouldn't get a truck, I don't question your buy. When you need one, you need one. And the Ram is a great truck as of late. This is Chrysler's best product right now. It's my favorite truck along with the Tundra.

I am surprised you were having issues with your Civic though. I have a Yaris with 100,000 miles on it and it has just needed oil changes. It rides like brand new. Even the original brakes are at 45%.
It was 5 years old and needed nothing, I just didnt want to wait until it needed something and didnt have a warranty. Burn LOL. The dealer was fantastic. The price that was on the windsheild was what we paid. The miles that were on it were the kicker. Nobody wanted an 09 with 43000 miles, vehicle history and previous owner interview (previous owner works at dealer) revealed all hwy miles. 100,000 miles from yesterdays mileage of warranty, and lifetime chrysler warranty on the powertrain because the vehicle was never officially titled, it was driven on a dealer plate, so is (from a legal standpoint) still new.
Old 11-23-10, 09:33 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Time to work on you sig...
Old 11-23-10, 09:47 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the RAM my dad has an 08 1500 Big Horn Edition and its a sold peice of machine.
Old 11-23-10, 03:50 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
It was 5 years old and needed nothing, I just didnt want to wait until it needed something and didnt have a warranty. Burn LOL. The dealer was fantastic. The price that was on the windsheild was what we paid. The miles that were on it were the kicker. Nobody wanted an 09 with 43000 miles, vehicle history and previous owner interview (previous owner works at dealer) revealed all hwy miles. 100,000 miles from yesterdays mileage of warranty, and lifetime chrysler warranty on the powertrain because the vehicle was never officially titled, it was driven on a dealer plate, so is (from a legal standpoint) still new.
That is awesome!
Old 11-23-10, 04:21 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very cool deal. I've always wanted one of these for some reason...

Quick Reply: Oh Lord...what have I done?