Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

For Under $25,000.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-10, 01:18 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For Under $25,000.

So, I know I shouldn't be looking around the car market, because I don't plan to buy a new for another year or so, but I can't help but look.

I plan to buy something nice for under $25,000. As you can tell by the sig, I've driven an IS before, and even though its real nice, its pretty small for someone of my stature (5'11, 220lbs, wide frame).

I love Luxury, and I love a car with plenty of space in it. I see a lot of 07-08 Infiniti G35's, a couple of 06 GS300s, and 2 07 Lexus GS350's.

I want a car to push 300hp at least (or at least something close to it, but would greatly prefer for it to be over 300hp). I don't like German (Had a bmw, it was nice, but it fell apart), and I'd prefer something that is Luxury and anything but German or American.

So far I just found these few models, but wonder what you guys would prefer? I'm driving an LS400 now, and I would love to get another LS, but I think I'd prefer getting something with a different body.

SUVs will be cool too, i guess, but prefer sedans.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-05-10, 01:38 AM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

Honestly I'd stick with the LS until you are financially able to buy what you really want. I love those LS' and assuming yours has proven itself by being reliable, I'd just keep driving it until situation states otherwise. It pretty much meets all the requirements you want and no worries about paying for another car.
Old 11-05-10, 01:50 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

^That is true. I'm currently in debt around $8,500, so I should probably be debt free before getting a car, or at least have a steady income and save a few thousand aside. Not for a downpayment, but more like just in case money, you know?
Old 11-05-10, 01:55 AM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

Yes definitely, just feel happy knowing you are driving around one of the nicest cars on the road (even today IMO) and being financially responsible. Only good things can come from it
Old 11-05-10, 09:46 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I was looking for the same and decided on a LS430.

If you would consider American, look at 06+ Cadillac DTS Lux III or Performance and Buick Lucerne CXS. They have V8s, relatively good quality, and plenty of room. I opted for the LS430 because I wanted the higher quality, something under 200" in length, and the heated / cooled seat contols on the console rather than the doors.
Old 11-05-10, 12:14 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If your in debt I would keep the car you have and not get something new until you are out of debt. Once your out of debt you may want to look at a used Infiniti M45 especially if you liked the sportiness and handling of your BMW but want something more reliable. Infiniti M's are gas guzzlers especially with the v8 and most likely will not be as reliable as your LS though. They are highly rated by Consumer reports. I find the last generation M's especially with the sport package much better looking then the new one they have out.
Old 11-05-10, 01:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Incredible
So, I know I shouldn't be looking around the car market, because I don't plan to buy a new for another year or so, but I can't help but look.

I plan to buy something nice for under $25,000. As you can tell by the sig, I've driven an IS before, and even though its real nice, its pretty small for someone of my stature (5'11, 220lbs, wide frame).

I love Luxury, and I love a car with plenty of space in it. I see a lot of 07-08 Infiniti G35's, a couple of 06 GS300s, and 2 07 Lexus GS350's.

I want a car to push 300hp at least (or at least something close to it, but would greatly prefer for it to be over 300hp). I don't like German (Had a bmw, it was nice, but it fell apart), and I'd prefer something that is Luxury and anything but German or American.

So far I just found these few models, but wonder what you guys would prefer? I'm driving an LS400 now, and I would love to get another LS, but I think I'd prefer getting something with a different body.

SUVs will be cool too, i guess, but prefer sedans.

Any suggestions?
If you LOVE luxury, stick to Lexus. They really have "luxury" figured out. I feel the other Japanese brands do it too but it just lacks the cohesiveness and they always end up missing something. LS 460 will be 25k next year or two.

Old 11-05-10, 01:49 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
If your in debt I would keep the car you have and not get something new until you are out of debt. Once your out of debt you may want to look at a used Infiniti M45 especially if you liked the sportiness and handling of your BMW but want something more reliable. Infiniti M's are gas guzzlers especially with the v8 and most likely will not be as reliable as your LS though. They are highly rated by Consumer reports. I find the last generation M's especially with the sport package much better looking then the new one they have out.
My LS400 is a V8. With a full tank, with normal driving, i get between 280-320 miles, with conservative driving i get around 320-340 miles. My bmw with conservative driving was would give me over 400 miles easily, most i got was 444 miles. But then again, I mostly drive in the freeway, and use cruise control as often as possible.

Does cruise control even improve your mpg? I have this mind set that it does, and it has worked for me, just want to see if you guys agree or not.
Old 11-05-10, 01:55 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If you LOVE luxury, stick to Lexus. They really have "luxury" figured out. I feel the other Japanese brands do it too but it just lacks the cohesiveness and they always end up missing something. LS 460 will be 25k next year or two.
According to cars.com, within a 50 mile radius, the cheapest LS460 costs $35,991 with 53,512 miles. Since the LS460 is gonna drop over $10k in the next year or two, are you hinting at a redesigned body soon?

I love the LS, but I worry that the current body would be a bit too big for me. Don't get me wrong, I love the giant space in the car (both driver and passengers), but I just get the feeling that I won't be able to parallel park the car (which is my only concern). Hopefully I find one with the self park feature.

I think that GS350 would be better. Its big, but smaller than the LS, and a bit more nimble. Faster too (i think), and still has plenty of room and nice looks too.

Currently, a GS350 costs starting at $20k. I only saw 1 at that price in my area, then it rises to $24k, $25k, $26k, etc.

Hopefully the GS350 will cost around $13k in a year or two also? That would be amazing!
Old 11-05-10, 01:57 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I was looking for the same and decided on a LS430.

If you would consider American, look at 06+ Cadillac DTS Lux III or Performance and Buick Lucerne CXS. They have V8s, relatively good quality, and plenty of room. I opted for the LS430 because I wanted the higher quality, something under 200" in length, and the heated / cooled seat contols on the console rather than the doors.
I've had a buick, and i didn't like it. I just hate American. We had a Chrysler, it was garbage, and got rid of it. We have a chevy trailblazer, just messed up electronics, and the value just depreciated like crazy! Bought it brand new in 04 (or 05) for $30k, its worth less than $5k now.

American cars just aren't for me.
Old 11-05-10, 05:54 PM
Fulorian
Driver School Candidate

What about a used RL or Q45? Those were both good cars, that just didn't sell, and have depreciated ridiculously as a result. Maybe when new at MSRP they couldn't stand up to an LS, but when you can get an equivalent age/milage RL/Q45 for 10k as a 15k+ LS, well, the value proposition begins to shift.

Edit: Checked KBB - private party price for 2002, 90k mile of each is:

Acura RL: $9.5k
Infiniti Q45: 9.6k
Lexus LS: $14.6k

For inhabiting a fairly similar slotting in the market, that's a pretty massive difference. Obviously, if you're looking more in the 25k range, you can scale those numbers upwards and it holds fairly constant.

Last edited by Fulorian; 11-05-10 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-05-10, 05:57 PM
LexFather

According to cars.com, within a 50 mile radius, the cheapest LS460 costs $35,991 with 53,512 miles. Since the LS460 is gonna drop over $10k in the next year or two, are you hinting at a redesigned body soon?

I love the LS, but I worry that the current body would be a bit too big for me. Don't get me wrong, I love the giant space in the car (both driver and passengers), but I just get the feeling that I won't be able to parallel park the car (which is my only concern). Hopefully I find one with the self park feature.

I think that GS350 would be better. Its big, but smaller than the LS, and a bit more nimble. Faster too (i think), and still has plenty of room and nice looks too.

Currently, a GS350 costs starting at $20k. I only saw 1 at that price in my area, then it rises to $24k, $25k, $26k, etc.

Hopefully the GS350 will cost around $13k in a year or two also? That would be amazing!
Well I am a biased 450h owner I like the GS 350 a lot, great power and great MPG. I like the curved wood on the doors and there is huge aftermarket support for the car. Not nearly as roomy as a LS but its a nice size between it and the IS.

Old 11-05-10, 06:22 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I am a biased 450h owner I like the GS 350 a lot, great power and great MPG. I like the curved wood on the doors and there is huge aftermarket support for the car. Not nearly as roomy as a LS but its a nice size between it and the IS.
^So damn lucky for having that monster car. True its not as big as the LS, but its still pretty damn roomy compared to the other Lexus models. What year is your 450h?
Old 11-05-10, 06:27 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fulorian
What about a used RL or Q45? Those were both good cars, that just didn't sell, and have depreciated ridiculously as a result. Maybe when new at MSRP they couldn't stand up to an LS, but when you can get an equivalent age/milage RL/Q45 for 10k as a 15k+ LS, well, the value proposition begins to shift.

Edit: Checked KBB - private party price for 2002, 90k mile of each is:

Acura RL: $9.5k
Infiniti Q45: 9.6k
Lexus LS: $14.6k

For inhabiting a fairly similar slotting in the market, that's a pretty massive difference. Obviously, if you're looking more in the 25k range, you can scale those numbers upwards and it holds fairly constant.
I want the car to look nice. I'm hoping to get something that is 2006 or higher. When I get a new car, I want it to be a HUGE upgrade over my 1990 LS400, you know?
Old 11-05-10, 06:50 PM
LexFather

^So damn lucky for having that monster car. True its not as big as the LS, but its still pretty damn roomy compared to the other Lexus models. What year is your 450h?
I think it has enough room and I've had 5 in my car many times but the LS is clearly larger to me. Its a 2007.

Quick Reply: For Under $25,000.