Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus U.S. dealer meeting notes - WSJ

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-10, 08:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by encore888
Curious about "Intuit", and that push button better be revised for a 3 sec OR 3-press emergency stop. Interior Camry improvement sounds good, hope exterior also.

But of course, want to see this new GS/SC!!! Thanks for the info!!
You are very welcome. Will see if I can share more soon.

Old 10-19-10, 02:05 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing really huge here, but I have heard also from some "sources" that the next-gen GS really is gorgeous. I have also heard the next-gen Camry is supposed to look really good. If they have made the next-gen Camry look even better than the current model while still being very appealing to the majority of buyers, that would be impressive.
Old 10-19-10, 02:42 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I'm dying to see the new GS. It can't debut any faster!
As far as leaks and hints, I have never heard of a company that did not say it's going to look good or be great. I am sure they said the same thing with the current GS before it debuted (which I happen to agree- is very beautiful).
Old 10-19-10, 02:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Nothing really huge here, but I have heard also from some "sources" that the next-gen GS really is gorgeous. I have also heard the next-gen Camry is supposed to look really good. If they have made the next-gen Camry look even better than the current model while still being very appealing to the majority of buyers, that would be impressive.
you know what they say, beauty is in the eye of beholder
Old 10-19-10, 02:51 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I would assume that what I have heard is based in context of current Toyota/Lexus models and also in the context of elegant, proportional styling and not very polarizing styling.

If you have never liked the styling of the GS or the Camry, you probably won't like the new models either.
Old 10-19-10, 09:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
yeah i heard more or less the same thing when the 3gs was about to come out back in 05, saying the car is slicker and better. can't say i was overly impressed, and i love my gs400

not trying to say the 4gs will be disappointment of course. but to me, after the 3gs, lexus has a lot to do
Old 10-19-10, 11:01 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I do remember similar talk before the 3GS came out. I guess we will see soon enough.
Old 10-19-10, 11:09 AM
LexFather

Well things were different. We were given the lh s concept and told that is the future. The 3GS did take cues from it and we were told it would usher L finesse to Lexus. I don't recall much said about power etc. The awd model was a surprise.

The GS has looked great since 93 so it's never had a looks issue. If anything the design becomes familar as others take cues from it.

Glad to hear multiple sources think it looks good and I hope my opinion aligns with them lol

Old 10-19-10, 11:26 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well things were different. We were given the lh s concept and told that is the future. The 3GS did take cues from it and we were told it would usher L finesse to Lexus. I don't recall much said about power etc. The awd model was a surprise.

The GS has looked great since 93 so it's never had a looks issue. If anything the design becomes familar as others take cues from it.

Glad to hear multiple sources think it looks good and I hope my opinion aligns with them lol
Interesting point; the LF-S concept I think set people's expectations at a certain level and the 3GS IMHO did not live up to a lot of those expectations.

This time there is no Lexus concept so far that previews the 4GS styling.

Similar situation happened with the CT now, as the LF-Ch concept set certain expectations and the production model for some people has not lived up to those expectations.

I wonder if Lexus will continue displaying concepts that preview future models and if we will get that with the 4GS. Or would Lexus prefer to become more "old school" and just premiere new models to the world with no preview?
Old 10-19-10, 11:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i don't mind seeing concepts. although different but i actually appreciate them and think they are good indications. i am not sure about setting too high of an expectations, i have grown to take concepts as "too cool" and tone down on the final version. the same goes with all manufacturers imho anyway.

and mike, no, gs looked good starting 1998
Old 10-19-10, 02:38 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. Basing a car off a concept and looking like a concept are two different things. If you expect the car to look like the concept, then it's going to be a failure more times than not. Design cues maybe but a copy is hard to do, only a few examples I know of are close to what a concept is. Unless of course you're talking about a concept for the same model. Lexus LF-S wasn't GS concept, so how you can say it'll look like that is a wonder to me. I think people get their hopes up so high and just get let down when it isn't everything they wanted it to be. I like the 3GS, i think it's way better than the previous models. That's my opinion of course. There are things Lexus could have done with the 3GS to make it stand out, of course they didn't. Hopefully the 4GS goes in that direction and it's different and appealing in a Lexus kind of way.
Old 10-19-10, 02:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
i don't mind seeing concepts. although different but i actually appreciate them and think they are good indications. i am not sure about setting too high of an expectations, i have grown to take concepts as "too cool" and tone down on the final version. the same goes with all manufacturers imho anyway.

and mike, no, gs looked good starting 1998
No love for the Guigario design? I think its a beauty, pretty timeless.

http://www.jzs147.com.au/forum/viewt...41780d6e69e8cc

Originally Posted by TF109B
I agree. Basing a car off a concept and looking like a concept are two different things. If you expect the car to look like the concept, then it's going to be a failure more times than not. Design cues maybe but a copy is hard to do, only a few examples I know of are close to what a concept is. Unless of course you're talking about a concept for the same model. Lexus LF-S wasn't GS concept, so how you can say it'll look like that is a wonder to me. I think people get their hopes up so high and just get let down when it isn't everything they wanted it to be. I like the 3GS, i think it's way better than the previous models. That's my opinion of course. There are things Lexus could have done with the 3GS to make it stand out, of course they didn't. Hopefully the 4GS goes in that direction and it's different and appealing in a Lexus kind of way.
Yes it was...it previewed the GS and future L-finesse cues

I don't think Lexus could do anything to make it stand out since multiple brands took 2GS cues and evolved them. The 3GS clearly comes for 1GS/2GS lines along with the new L-finesse theme. Today you have a G37 and XF that looks like their versions of the 3GS, even copying the tri-spoke wheels. Time to trade in the car.

Old 10-19-10, 03:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

then by all means get away from the 1gs/2gs cues. there was so reason for lexus to follow the previous 2 gs generation. just like the ls430, lexus admitted that the 1ls was good, they did the 2ls too similar and they needed a breakthrough with the 3ls. 3ls was another great success imho.

so i hope they do that with the 4gs

and no, sorry but somehow i just don't feel connected to 1gs at all. 1sc, cool, timeless. but not 1gs
Old 10-19-10, 03:47 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess everything I state is wrong. That's cool, but the GS was based off the concept, it just wasn't a 'GS Concept' So saying the GS will look exactly like the concept is wrong. That was my point. I didn't say it wasn't a prelude to the design language of the 3GS, I said that it wasn't the GS concept. I realize that production cars can take their design inspiration from different concepts, and usually feedback from those concepts help designers decide whether or not they should go forward or do a redraw.
Old 10-19-10, 05:14 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TF109B
I guess everything I state is wrong. That's cool, but the GS was based off the concept, it just wasn't a 'GS Concept' So saying the GS will look exactly like the concept is wrong. That was my point. I didn't say it wasn't a prelude to the design language of the 3GS, I said that it wasn't the GS concept. I realize that production cars can take their design inspiration from different concepts, and usually feedback from those concepts help designers decide whether or not they should go forward or do a redraw.
Please don't take posts so personally. We are both saying the same thing differently.

Quick Reply: Lexus U.S. dealer meeting notes - WSJ