Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I have my Genesis, GREAT car

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-10, 01:17 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
Now, what Lexus must do(this is who Hyundai is apparently chasing) is keep them chasing and not being direct competition. IMO, take the company completely tier 1. Lexus seemed to be on the right track circa 2002 when it had LS,GS,SC 430s and the LX which were all consider tier one vehicles at the time with the RX and ES as the only "down market" volume offerings. Today you have a whole host of vehicles that you can consider tier 2 with only the LS holding the tier one crown barely. The GS took a step back and the SC and LX are considered all but dead. Toyota really needs to take shots back at Hyundai with the Toyota brand. Take everything up a notch, even to current Lexus levels because thats what the competition is doing. Take Lexus to a completely new level only a few can compete on as it was before. Hell, make the next SC transform into a sedan for heavens sake if thats what it will take to shake off the flees from you shoulder. With that said, Hyundai is Toyota 1989 all over again but with no additional names(Lexus). If Toyota dont wanna get stompted out by its own method of success by another company then they to get it back in gear and "move forward" quickly.
I guess this must be the difference between me and a lot of other posters on this forum.

I am a car consumer only. I do not care who makes the best car. I will vote with my money. If Lexus falls to last place among car companies and never makes another car that I want to buy. So be it! If Yugo or GM comes out with a car better than my Genesis in a few years, I'll buy it and tell you how much better the XXXX is than my Genesis. Currently I can tell you that Lexus Lost my Business when my 07 GS350 was a major step down from my 99 GS300. It caused me to look at a HYUNDAI. I liked what I saw and I bought it. I don't care if Hyundai makes better cars in the future either. I will switch to any brand that makes the best car for me.

I do not care if Lexus succeeds at all. I don't work for the company(As some on this forum appear to do). I don't own stock in any car company. I am just a regular consumer talking about cars.
Old 09-01-10, 01:36 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Toyota acknowledged awhile ago that one of their biggest threats was Hyundai. Lets not forget the Yen/Won trade difference with the dollar. The Yen was at a 15 year low recently and it is killing profits in Japan and means prices have to rise. I think most everyone knows Hyundai is for real and they have made tremendous strides compared to their past models.

Lexus has gone up substantially. The LX moved up and is an incredible SUV. The GS still offers the only hybrid in class. "F" and the IS F is the only Asian car to battle AMG/M etc. The next SC is around the corner. Lexus prices are on par with the Germans in most cases, more expensive in many. Lexus has been defined by the experts as a Tier 1 brand. Someone posted a link showing Lexus is considered one of the top 2 luxury brands in America and has been in the top 5 for years now.

Let us not forget there will be new EPA rules and the image of luxury has changed, thus the HS, CT. Also BMW, Benz, Audi have sold small cars for years now. Lexus is simply joining them.

Then there is the LFA, no Asian company has produced anything like it and the learning's from low inertia, carbon fiber, etc will trickle down to other products.

It is not 1989 all over again though, period. Lexus became the #1 import luxury brand in 2 years and completely changed perceptions about all luxury. They changed the entire dealership experience and definitions of quality and reliability. The LS completely redefined what people thought luxury was.

The Genesis is a fine car and we all know that. I posted my mini-review of the interior and boasted at how nice it was. It has redefined Hyundai, not the industry.

Part of my review

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...s6-others.html

Bingo. I just posted sales results, it is a dog fight between Lexus, BMW, Benz. All 3 also continue to innovate and expand their lineups and not stand still. I think we all know ANY brand caught flat footed today will be dead.
Point well taken. Thanks for informing me on the numbers. I really don't keep track of the sales battle that much and get a lot of my car influence from my area(streets) and those bias car magazines. This new found definition of luxury is whats killing me. If all of these mainstream companies start to make cars so similar to luxury offerings then it really defeats the purpose. Yes the LS redefined what a luxury car was but needs to do it all over again imo. What we need is that something "different" again in Lexus that we had in their hayday. Not the "me too" attitude that it recently adopted along with Hyundai. Separate itself from the crowd again.
Old 09-01-10, 02:09 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I guess this must be the difference between me and a lot of other posters on this forum.

I am a car consumer only. I do not care who makes the best car. I will vote with my money. If Lexus falls to last place among car companies and never makes another car that I want to buy. So be it! If Yugo or GM comes out with a car better than my Genesis in a few years, I'll buy it and tell you how much better the XXXX is than my Genesis. Currently I can tell you that Lexus Lost my Business when my 07 GS350 was a major step down from my 99 GS300. It caused me to look at a HYUNDAI. I liked what I saw and I bought it. I don't care if Hyundai makes better cars in the future either. I will switch to any brand that makes the best car for me.

I do not care if Lexus succeeds at all. I don't work for the company(As some on this forum appear to do). I don't own stock in any car company. I am just a regular consumer talking about cars.

hmmm....wow, and that was from a GS300; I wonder what your feelings would have been at that time if you were coming from a GS400 or a GS430? More punch and more fun to drive...perhaps you wouldn't have even went on to the new GS350 at that time.

I am telling everyone right now. If Lexus somehow reduced their prices of all models by say...$10K A LOT more people would be buying this brand. Imagine, a brand spanking new 400hp+ IS-F for mid $40K range...that would easily blow all GM model SRT-8 equipped vehicles out of the water because then it would be that much closer in price. I know this would never happen but it is NOT the poor tech, or poor materials used or poor reliability from Lexus...Lexus does it ALL good but the price is just a little high and it keeps getting higher and higher and the economy is getting worse and worse.

All car companies...and any company for that matter should adjust their pricing in relation to the economy and market. Sure, there would be a smaller profit margin but the sales VOLUME would increase! This is how they would make up the profit.

Hyundai is offering all great things and are considering the economy and market with their fair pricing; and in turn are luring potential Lexus, BMW and Mercedes consumers towards their products. If anyone want to stay in the competition they must reduce their pricing of their products...the other alternative is to reduce the quality of materials used but then the consumer WILL notice and would STILL stay away.
Old 09-01-10, 02:18 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
hmmm....wow, and that was from a GS300; I wonder what your feelings would have been at that time if you were coming from a GS400 or a GS430? More punch and more fun to drive...perhaps you wouldn't have even went on to the new GS350 at that time.
Would not have mattered in the least bit! - My opinions have nothing to do with horsepower and 'punch'. In that regard the 07 GS350 trounces my 99 GS300. And a 2007 GS350 would probably eat a GS400 or GS430 alive. It is a very fast car (because it is so small - and has over 300 hp). If that is what you judge a car on, the GS350 is for you.

It has do to with Body Integrity (rattles), fit and finish, ride, sound proofing, Room (the trunk on the GS350 is pitiful). I trusted Lexus too much and just bought the GS350. The Genesis was not available at the time, so it may have been the best vehicle at that point in time. But, it was a step downward from my 99 GS300.

Last edited by Cut-Throat; 09-01-10 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-01-10, 02:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

nearly 2900 genesis sold in august. (that's sedans and coupes of course)
Old 09-01-10, 03:11 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat

I don't own stock for any car companies either. Toyota / Lexus is known to have unintended acceleration problems... the build quality has gone south so it's a big no no for me. Also the sales rep at lexus dealership is so arrogant and stuck up... what's worse is that some of the lexus fanatics in this forum not only put down on Hyundai but also have issue with "Koreans" and / or anything made / designed by Koreans. We are talking some serious racism here.. the forum quality has gone way south.

meowCat, please PM me to discuss your concerns. There are certainly fans of the Lexus brand here (this IS a Lexus forum in case you didn't notice) but absolutely none of the replies here appear to have any racial biased commentary.

Most of those earlier in the post were egged on by the OP's inflammatory thread title and signature when he originally posted this thread in the 3rd Gen GS forum, but once the moderator team moved it to Car Chat the discussion has been constantly monitored and reasonable after a rocky start.

I honestly don't know what to think other than you have blown a cog.

All other members, please keep on topic and I'll take this up with meowCat in private.
Old 09-01-10, 03:37 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Most of those earlier in the post were egged on by the OP's inflammatory thread title and signature when he originally posted this thread in the 3rd Gen GS forum, but once the moderator team moved it to Car Chat the discussion has been constantly monitored and reasonable after a rocky start.
Dave,

For the record this thread was NEVER started in the 3rd Gen GS Forum. I started it in the Car Chat forum. No 'Moderator team' ever moved this thread. I had thought this forum was free to discuss all car brands openly.
Old 09-01-10, 03:39 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

It was moved from the 3rd gen GS forum here. Perhaps you made a mistake when you posted it.
Old 09-01-10, 03:44 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
It was moved from the 3rd gen GS forum here. Perhaps you made a mistake when you posted it.
No, I specifically posted it in Car Chat. I had a post moved from the 3rd Generation when I test drove the Genesis last spring. Perhaps that is what you are thinking about. This was a new thread that I posted last week.
Old 09-01-10, 04:06 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Sorry, but you are incorrect. I have reviewed the log and it was moved here from the 3rd Gen GS forum.

I'm closing this thread due to the cross-forum flaming you personally created (as referenced by another member, thanks). Please check your PM later this evening for more details.