Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is the term "Supercar" overused?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-10, 11:13 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is the term "Supercar" overused?

I remember the days when "Supercars" were an elite few - McLaren F1s, Ferrari Enzos, Porsche Carrera GTs, and Lamborghini Murcielagos.

Now a days, it seems like anything that costs north of $150,000 and can snap off 0-60 in less than 4.5 seconds is called a supercar.

Whatever happened to "sports cars" and "exotics"? Do you think the term is overused?
Old 08-19-10, 11:25 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Just like "epic" and the fading use of "diva". Catch words overused to attract attention by writers who join the masses in getting eyeball time. Supercar now seems to be as you mentioned...a level of price as part of the characteristic.
Old 08-19-10, 12:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

imho the term has been over used . I prefer the term exotic car and I would save the title for cars that are rare and unique as well as striking and powerful.

Supercar (to me ) means relative performance whereas exotic car relates to its rarity and exclusivity. It all depends on how you look at things
Old 08-19-10, 12:32 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting question. Because many premium cars today achieve what was considered to be supercar performance 20-30 years ago.
Old 08-19-10, 12:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

True. My GS is faster than the old Lamborghini Countach ( earlier model )
Old 08-19-10, 05:03 PM
05EX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the term "supercar" is overused. But has been replaced by "Hypercar "reserved for the ultra elite and rareified silly fast and unreal cars.
Old 08-19-10, 05:23 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

In my mind, you have to be under 4 seconds to be a "Supercar".
Narrows it down a bit.
Old 08-19-10, 09:02 PM
blake0387
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would agree that using price as a measuring stick for employment of the 'supercar' term is wrong.

I have to say that you can't really use horsepower ratings either. There's plenty of cars with 600+ horsepower (Bentleys, Rolls, etc.) that I wouldn't really consider to be in the realm of supercars.
Old 08-19-10, 09:31 PM
LexFather

It depends on the context used. When people think "Supercar" they usually think a high performance exotic. The thing is two cars in general have abolished our ideas of what a supercar is as their performance is so staggering it is like a supercar. Those 2 cars are the GT-R and the 997.2 911 Turbo.

When you say exotic, that does not necessarily mean super. The Aston Martin DBS would be called exotic but its performance pales in comparison to most.

I think it is overused some but seemingly everything today is abused, overused and worst of all, used however some people like. Then when you mix in idiots and/or fanbois well you have a mess

For example here is a thread I started on the GT R and the word SUpercar

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...h-neither.html

The poll shows people feel its a supercar but not an exotic. There is a good point though that maybe some cars like the GTR and 997.2 911 Turbo have supercar performance but that still does not make them supercars as they are missing other elements.

Overall yeah its overused So is VIP, JDM, Stance, Flush, Murdered Out, etc etc

Old 08-19-10, 09:36 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Interesting question. Because many premium cars today achieve what was considered to be supercar performance 20-30 years ago.
+1 Agreed S.

I don't think you even have to go back that far to see cars of today outperform yesteryears "supercars". The difference back then was that there were less of them and they weren't constantly being compared to "lesser" cars on a daily basis on the internet.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It depends on the context used. When people think "Supercar" they usually think a high performance exotic. The thing is two cars in general have abolished our ideas of what a supercar is as their performance is so staggering it is like a supercar. Those 2 cars are the GT-R and the 997.2 911 Turbo.

When you say exotic, that does not necessarily mean super. The Aston Martin DBS would be called exotic but its performance pales in comparison to most.

I think it is overused some but seemingly everything today is abused, overused and worst of all, used however some people like. Then when you mix in idiots and/or fanbois well you have a mess

For example here is a thread I started on the GT R and the word SUpercar

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...h-neither.html

The poll shows people feel its a supercar but not an exotic. There is a good point though that maybe some cars like the GTR and 997.2 911 Turbo have supercar performance but that still does not make them supercars as they are missing other elements.

Overall yeah its overused So is VIP, JDM, Stance, Flush, Murdered Out, etc etc
Also agreed Mike.

Although I think we could have a very lengthy, in-depth discussion whether the 997TT S is a supercar and an exotic.
Old 08-19-10, 09:42 PM
LexFather

^^^ It gets confusing doesn't it! What about the 911 GT2 RS. 620hp, more than their exotic Carerra GT V-10 of a few years ago. Staggering performance from a car that starts out at what 75k but is what 250k in that form?

The Aston Martin DBS is rare vehicle sporting a V-12 but performance is pretty much at the end of the supercar pack. Is it still a supercar? Is it exotic enough?

Maybe we should just appreciate and stop classifying everything?

At least I know the LFA is dumb, overpriced and sucks according to some people

Old 08-19-10, 09:51 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^^ It gets confusing doesn't it! What about the 911 GT2 RS. 620hp, more than their exotic Carerra GT V-10 of a few years ago. Staggering performance from a car that starts out at what 75k but is what 250k in that form?

The Aston Martin DBS is rare vehicle sporting a V-12 but performance is pretty much at the end of the supercar pack. Is it still a supercar? Is it exotic enough?

Maybe we should just appreciate and stop classifying everything?

At least I know the LFA is dumb, overpriced and sucks according to some people
Personally, I could give a rat's azz if the DBS were slower than a Prius.

It's quite possibly the sexiest car on the road...period. Was at the AM dealership yesterday and couldn't stop drooling...and it's even hotter in motion...lol.

Exotics have much more to offer than just straight performance numbers.

Exotics may be supercars...or may not be...but are still more desireable than supercars. Supercars seem to be categorized strictly revolving around performance stats.

It seems that Exotics that are also supercars nowadays are in the Hyper car class.

I predict that this thread will go round and round essentially debating these points.
Old 08-19-10, 09:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Personally, I could give a rat's azz if the DBS were slower than a Prius.

It's quite possibly the sexiest car on the road...period. Was at the AM dealership yesterday and couldn't stop drooling...and it's even hotter in motion...lol.

Exotics have much more to offer than just straight performance numbers.

Exotics may be supercars...or may not be...but are still more desireable than supercars. Supercars seem to be categorized strictly revolving around performance stats.

It seems that Exotics that are also supercars nowadays are in the Hyper car class.
Oh I agree. I think the DBS is one of the most beautiful shapes of ANYTHING made. Absolutely breathtaking. Similar taste ftw

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I predict that this thread will go round and round essentially debating these points.
(goes to grab beer)

Old 08-19-10, 10:01 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

^^^
Speaking of which....Battle of the "Supercars"...tonight's episode....DBS (Carbon Black edition no less) vs. Continental SS.
Old 08-19-10, 10:18 PM
LexFather

^^^^ THANKS!!! Watching now and autotuned it.