If you had $150k to spend - what's the BEST car out there? NSX, AMG GT, R8, 911, etc? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Car Chat
If you had $150k to spend - what's the BEST car out there? NSX, AMG GT, R8, 911, etc? >

If you had $150k to spend - what's the BEST car out there? NSX, AMG GT, R8, 911, etc?

Notices
Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you had $150k to spend - what's the BEST car out there? NSX, AMG GT, R8, 911, etc?

 
Old 08-22-18, 11:09 AM
  #1  
s4play
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: California
Posts: 2,389
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Exclamation If you had $150k to spend - what's the BEST car out there? NSX, AMG GT, R8, 911, etc?

A group of my old buddies were sitting around during dinner the other day and we were hashing out this hot topic. In the $150k budget realm of sports cars, you have quite a few choices today that can do 600hp and 0-6 in the mid 3 second range. This kind of performance years ago just was not possible.

Each car has it's merits and between our group of friends we all have one or more of these cars listed below so it's not just reading magazine ads or youtube videos. We have all driven or owned these cars and love to discuss what is the best car for the money.

Cars EXCLUDED from this would be Huracan, McLaren, and Ferrari because quite simply none of these cars are at list price are under $150k. Yes you can buy a 570s for around $150k but then comes the question of warranty and reliability.

So what would you guys pick or rank for the top car in the hot $150k range market?

a) GTR
b) Porsche
c) 2017 NSX
d) AMG GT
e) Audi R8
f) Anything we missed?

*One thing fun to note is out of all the mfr. above ONLY the Porsche offers as manual tranny so have to give kudos to Porsche!

Please post a picture of your car if you have one of the above cars or something you think is comparable to these cars in this sector. Would love to hear your comments!



s4play is offline  
Old 08-22-18, 11:14 AM
  #2  
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: PA
Posts: 6,250
Thanked 206 Times in 194 Posts
Default

me it has to be 911, 7-man. I have already accepted that I will ever own one, which wasn't the case 10 yrs. ago. Even at 150k one is looking for value and dependability...again I read the condition set to be that we are spending $150k. Everything changes if it's that we don't have to spend all 150k...
Johnhav430 is offline  
Old 08-22-18, 11:21 AM
  #3  
s4play
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: California
Posts: 2,389
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Johnhav430 View Post
me it has to be 911, 7-man. I have already accepted that I will ever own one, which wasn't the case 10 yrs. ago. Even at 150k one is looking for value and dependability...again I read the condition set to be that we are spending $150k. Everything changes if it's that we don't have to spend all 150k...
You don't have to spend all $150k which is why we said $150k or "under" so if you think a comparable car that is say half the price at $80k can compare to these cars please mention it. We also have a Alfa 4c in the mix, along with a black GTR and a few other rare cars like the BMW Z4M but honestly none of them can compare to the $150k cars listed above. The 4c is a great "mini exotic" that some people call the poor man's Ferrari with it's full CF tub chassis but it's definitely not a very refined car. Too choppy and extreme to park it next to say the AMG GT.

s4play is offline  
Old 08-22-18, 11:43 AM
  #4  
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 931
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Porsche GT3
werewolf is offline  
Old 08-22-18, 11:47 AM
  #5  
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: PA
Posts: 6,250
Thanked 206 Times in 194 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by s4play View Post
You don't have to spend all $150k which is why we said $150k or "under" so if you think a comparable car that is say half the price at $80k can compare to these cars please mention it. We also have a Alfa 4c in the mix, along with a black GTR and a few other rare cars like the BMW Z4M but honestly none of them can compare to the $150k cars listed above. The 4c is a great "mini exotic" that some people call the poor man's Ferrari with it's full CF tub chassis but it's definitely not a very refined car. Too choppy and extreme to park it next to say the AMG GT.
Agreed....Well I do think that in this niche the 911 is compelling....sure a E63s AMG is totally sweet but not the same...I almost think that Corvette is out, it can fit the pricetag, but isn't worth it if the price is equal...I don't know what a GT3 goes for, but I have driven the GTS and that's a sweet car too...can't help but feel that when you see alcantara in the interior, it's about to get real!
Johnhav430 is offline  
Old 08-22-18, 12:09 PM
  #6  
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia/D.C. suburbs
Posts: 73,034
Thanked 66 Times in 66 Posts
Default

For 150K, whatever I chose, I'd place an absolute 50K limit on the vehicle itself and put the other 100K to a retirement nest egg. IMO that retirement fund has to come first....especially without a pension.
mmarshall is offline  
Old 08-22-18, 12:31 PM
  #7  
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic
 
SW17LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 26,074
Thanked 575 Times in 477 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
For 150K, whatever I chose, I'd place an absolute 50K limit on the vehicle itself and put the other 100K to a retirement nest egg. IMO that retirement fund has to come first....especially without a pension.
Oh please. This is a car enthusiast forum, why cant we talk about cars even in the abstract without having to be preached to by you penny pinchers? Its beyond obnoxious. Enough.

Anyways, getting back to having a fun discussion free of killjoy drivel, $150k whats the best car out there....I would choose a 911, or an AMG GT.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-22-18 at 12:35 PM.
SW17LS is offline  
Old 08-22-18, 12:34 PM
  #8  
redspencer
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: (1)
 
redspencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Central FL
Posts: 1,355
Thanked 63 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Easily the Porsche 991.2 GT3 if one can be acquired at this price.
redspencer is offline  
Old 08-22-18, 12:41 PM
  #9  
JDR76
Lexus Fanatic
 
JDR76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: WA
Posts: 6,733
Thanked 307 Times in 245 Posts
Default

I would probably go with the NSX. I am fascinated by the technology. The AMG GT and R8 would be serious considerations as well.
JDR76 is online now  
Old 08-22-18, 12:51 PM
  #10  
Frog98
Driver
 
Frog98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: TX
Posts: 192
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Johnhav430 View Post
Agreed....Well I do think that in this niche the 911 is compelling....sure a E63s AMG is totally sweet but not the same...I almost think that Corvette is out, it can fit the pricetag, but isn't worth it if the price is equal...I don't know what a GT3 goes for, but I have driven the GTS and that's a sweet car too...can't help but feel that when you see alcantara in the interior, it's about to get real!
Agree wholeheartedly with everyone about the 911 GT3...if you could get one for under 150. Otherwise the GTS would be great too! That's why I went for a 718 GTS with GTS interior package...you get that special feeling of those GT Porsche's. If it was going to be my only car though, might have to go with E63 S AMG, M5, or Panamera 4S...which would be a tough choice.
Frog98 is offline  
Old 08-22-18, 01:24 PM
  #11  
Hoovey2411
Moderator
iTrader: (16)
 
Hoovey2411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 37,379
Thanked 47 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Aston Martin Vantage would be my choice. Might be better or faster cars out there, but an Aston makes me feel like James Bond.
Hoovey2411 is offline  
Old 08-22-18, 01:26 PM
  #12  
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic
 
SW17LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 26,074
Thanked 575 Times in 477 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411 View Post
Aston Martin Vantage would be my choice. Might be better or faster cars out there, but an Aston makes me feel like James Bond.
Didnt even think about that...
SW17LS is offline  
Old 08-22-18, 02:13 PM
  #13  
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia/D.C. suburbs
Posts: 73,034
Thanked 66 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
Oh please. This is a car enthusiast forum, why cant we talk about cars even in the abstract without having to be preached to by you penny pinchers? Its beyond obnoxious. Enough.
It's a valid opinion. I don't see where it is obnoxious at all. You may not agree with it, but that's not my problem....and my post will stand. And the thread-title said if you had 150K to spend, what vehicle would you buy? It suggested, but did not mandate, that all has to be spent on the car.


mmarshall is offline  
Old 08-22-18, 02:17 PM
  #14  
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE
iTrader: (11)
 
plex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: <-IAD->
Posts: 12,857
Thanked 44 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
It's a valid opinion. I don't see where it is obnoxious at all. You may not agree with it, but that's not my problem....and my post will stand. And the thread-title said if you had 150K to spend, what vehicle would you buy? It suggested, but did not mandate, that all has to be spent on the car.
For arguments sake your nest egg is solid you're good to go investment wise and have more than enough $$$$ in your portfolio and assets but you have $150K to spend on a car what would you buy?

Me would be 911.
plex is online now  
Old 08-22-18, 02:21 PM
  #15  
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic
 
SW17LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 26,074
Thanked 575 Times in 477 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mmarshall View Post
It's a valid opinion. I don't see where it is obnoxious at all. You may not agree with it, but that's not my problem....and my post will stand. And the thread-title said if you had 150K to spend, what vehicle would you buy? It suggested, but did not mandate, that all has to be spent on the car.
Sorry, itís obnoxious and itís off topic.

We cant even have a fun hypothetical car conversation in here without this holier than thou preaching. Terrible.
SW17LS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: