Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Hyundai Equus Preview

Old 08-15-10, 09:48 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by shyguy16
the first only D class korean flagship to date?
With one actual technological worlds first. Amazing Being first or only doesn't mean much. The Q45 could be considered the first and ony other Japanese D class flagship and it was a giant 16 year bucket of fail. The VW Phaeton was the first D-class VW based off a Bentley and sold horridly here.

The Equus and Phaeton have a similar issue. A horrible and laughable dealer network. The Phaeton never got the support it needed. Both brands are known here for selling cheap econo cars. Both brands dealerships lag behind in ratings. The Phaeton only had a small number of qualified techs across the country and parts were hard to come by. It only helped the sales disaster the car sadly was (I've stated many times it is an incredible car).

Thus Hyundai trying to meet buyers at their homes so they don't have to go to their horrible dealerships.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
good post
Yeah except it was refuted.

Old 08-15-10, 12:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The Q45 could be considered the first and ony other Japanese D class flagship and it was a giant 16 year bucket of fail.
"Other", yes, but not necessarily "first", correct? It appeared in the U.S. market about the same time that the LS400 did.

The Equus and Phaeton have a similar issue. A horrible and laughable dealer network. The Phaeton never got the support it needed. Both brands are known here for selling cheap econo cars. Both brands dealerships lag behind in ratings. The Phaeton only had a small number of qualified techs across the country and parts were hard to come by. It only helped the sales disaster the car sadly was (I've stated many times it is an incredible car).

Thus Hyundai trying to meet buyers at their homes so they don't have to go to their horrible dealerships.

A whole lot of people are buying Hyundai products these days. The dealerships must be doing at least something right.....though I agree with you that the dealerships are lagging somewhat behind the products themselves. And both VW and Hyundai dealerships, right now, are plentiful enough not to have the sparse-network problems of such brands as Suzuki and Mitsubishi.
Old 08-15-10, 01:28 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
A perfect example of this was a Hyundai recall made last year regarding rusted subframes. Many 1999-2004 Sonatas along with 2001-2004 XG300s were recalled for severe subframe rust problems. For a 2004 car, this is inexcusable. There were separate recalls for 2001-2003 Elantras, 2001-2003 Tiburons and 2001-2003 Sante Fe models for severe (suspension) rust problems as well.

You get what you pay for. You're not going to get Lexus quality for Hyundai money, or better-than-Toyota quality for super-low prices. It just doesn't work like that. By quality, in this case I am specifically referring to long-term quality.
You are seriously going to slam Hyundai for rust recalls from 2004, and in the same breath praise Lexus? Yeah, I guess rust is more dangerous than exploding hybrids (HS) or rollovers (GX).
Old 08-15-10, 01:29 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Care to explain what part was refuted?
Old 08-15-10, 03:59 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by madoka
You are seriously going to slam Hyundai for rust recalls from 2004, and in the same breath praise Lexus? Yeah, I guess rust is more dangerous than exploding hybrids (HS) or rollovers (GX).
You are seriously going to compare the Hyundai recalls with the Lexus recalls?

Please show me actual links and evidence of at least one HS in the real world exploding or at least ONE 2nd-gen GX in the real world rolling over.

No, these recalls are not "from 2004". Hyundai made these recalls last year, in 2009 that included 2004 model year vehicles.

The difference with the Lexus recalls was there were NO incidents with either the HS or GX. Lexus made the recalls proactively instead of reactively like Hyundai did. If Hyundai was actually making recalls proactively, we'd be hearing about Hyundai recalls all the time.

Good day to you sir.
Old 08-15-10, 04:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

With one actual technological worlds first. Amazing Being first or only doesn't mean much. The Q45 could be considered the first and ony other Japanese D class flagship and it was a giant 16 year bucket of fail. The VW Phaeton was the first D-class VW based off a Bentley and sold horridly here.

Refuted? LMAO mmmhhmmm. How about I just say I will agree to disagree.

Care to explain what part was refuted?
its not even worth it. "ain't nothin changed but the date"
Old 08-15-10, 04:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Refuted? LMAO mmmhhmmm. How about I just say I will agree to disagree.

its not even worth it. "ain't nothin changed but the date"

Madoka, agree to disagree Mind you your cheerleader wasn't even aware his old G35 was simply a Nissan Skyline rebadge.

Last edited by LexFather; 08-15-10 at 04:38 PM.

Old 08-15-10, 05:30 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya maybe hyundai is selling a lot compared to what they were selling at....but it's nothing compared to what you see on the streets with the accords, camry's and honda fit's. It's what u see on the streets that really tell the story.

it's premature to see how things will pan out so let's see what happens with the hyundai equus, however, It sure seems to be in a parallel situation with the volkswagon phaeton.
Old 08-15-10, 06:42 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
You are seriously going to compare the Hyundai recalls with the Lexus recalls?
How much was Hyundai fined last year for recalls? Nothing?

Toyota broke records:

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said the U.S. plans to seek a $16.4 million fine against Toyota Motor Corp., saying the auto maker "knowingly hid" safety problems from regulators.

The proposed fine, the maximum allowed under law against a car maker and far exceeding the previous record of $1 million, is the first linked to Toyota's recall of more than eight million cars globally for gas-pedal and sudden-acceleration problems.

"We now have proof that Toyota failed to live up to its legal obligations," Mr. LaHood said Monday. "Worse yet, they knowingly hid a dangerous defect for months from U.S. officials and did not take action to protect millions of drivers and their families.”
Old 08-15-10, 06:47 PM
LexFather

Toyota broke records:

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said the U.S. plans to seek a $16.4 million fine against Toyota Motor Corp., saying the auto maker "knowingly hid" safety problems from regulators.

The proposed fine, the maximum allowed under law against a car maker and far exceeding the previous record of $1 million, is the first linked to Toyota's recall of more than eight million cars globally for gas-pedal and sudden-acceleration problems.

"We now have proof that Toyota failed to live up to its legal obligations," Mr. LaHood said Monday. "Worse yet, they knowingly hid a dangerous defect for months from U.S. officials and did not take action to protect millions of drivers and their families.”
LaHood is a moron. He also retracted a statement telling people to stop driving their Toyotas they are dangerous
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/03/s...s-until-fixed/

Also maybe you didn't get the news that thus far all the findings are it was driver error in regards to UA. Toyota might ask for their money back.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38645077/ns/business-autos/

Please everyone at this point lets talk about the Equus MMarshall hasn't driven yet. That is the topic.

Old 08-15-10, 06:49 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Toyota broke records:

Funny you're siding up with that scumbag Ray Lahood. He should be lynched and hung off a tree.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5684130-post87.html

Release of Toyota Documents Blocked, Ex-Official Says
By MIKE RAMSEY And JOSH MITCHELL

DETROIT—Senior officials at the U.S. Department of Transportation have at least temporarily blocked the release of findings by auto-safety regulators that could favor Toyota Motor Corp. in some crashes related to unintended acceleration, according to a recently retired agency official.

George Person, who retired July 3 after 27 years at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, said in an interview that the decision to not go public with the data for now was made over the objections of some officials at NHTSA.

"The information was compiled. The report was finished and submitted," Mr. Person said. "When I asked why it hadn't been published, I was told that the secretary's office didn't want to release it," he added, referring to Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood.
Old 08-15-10, 06:57 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Toyota broke records:

Getting off-topic aren't we? So now your argument amounts to which automaker got fined more for recalls?

Still waiting to see some proof of exploding HS models and GX460 rollovers that occured in the real world. My previous points still stand.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 08-15-10 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-15-10, 07:15 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I read an insideline article on Equus by Hyundai north America CEO. Very interesting. I am impressed by the way he thinks.
Old 08-15-10, 07:22 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, I had no idea the critics were that harsh. Good thing Lexus came out stronger than ever. I wonder what that critic has to say about LFA...
Care to explain what was so revolutionary about the LS when it debuted? And I speak as an original 1990 LS400 owner who bought it within two months of Lexus releasing it. The LS400 was a cheaper, more reliable copy of luxury brands at the time. It too was sold at cost or under cost to take market share. The criticisms I read about Hyundai today, are the same ones that I remember Lexus was criticized for when it first launched. And yeah, we got a lot of jabs about buying an "overpriced Toyota."

Here's what the Chicago Tribune had to say about it in 1989:

Toyota took the BMW, Jaguar and Mercedes, separated the good features from the bad, then reassembled the parts and components into one machine using only the best features from each.

. . .

The immediate impression is that the Japanese again demonstrated their ability to copy. Lexus sheet metal is similar to Mercedes`, the instrument panel BMW-like and interior seating and design looks to be lifted from Jaguar. You may recall Lexus aroused controversy before it went on sale when LEXIS, the electronic legal information service, charged that the Toyota name was too similar to its own. That dispute was settled out of court.

Here is what the HEAD OF DESIGN at MB had to say about Lexus:

"People explain to us it is really an honour to have someone copy our cars, but I don't think we see it that way any more," said Harald Leschke, the head of design at Mercedes-Benz. "I think it is quite obvious that they admire the design, then try to do it their way. I'm sure in some industries this sort of thing is not legal.

"What surprises us most is that [Lexus] are prepared to do it, in public, and that customers are prepared to buy their copycat cars."

Leschke said the LS430 was Lexus's opportunity to do its own design and head in a different direction "but instead they copy other designs".

"I think it's fair to say all their cars have been influenced by someone else's models," he said. "They don't have a history so they have to copy someone else's."
Old 08-15-10, 07:36 PM
GS3Tek

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

getting off topic,

but hmmm, who ripped off bmw 745's interior???

"What surprises us most is that [Lexus] are prepared to do it, in public, and that customers are prepared to buy their copycat cars."

Leschke said the LS430 was Lexus's opportunity to do its own design and head in a different direction "but instead they copy other designs".
I await Mmarshall's review of equus when it's here

like everyone said, it's great the first couple of years, but it's the long term that will determine the quality.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Hyundai Equus Preview