Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How much would you pay for supercar privilege?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 08:50 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question How much would you pay for supercar privilege?

If I tell you you can drive any "own" ferrari, lambo, aston etc for a single weekend of your choosing per month.

How much would you pay per month to get this privilege? 5 bucks? 500 bucks? But it must be a monthly commitment, whether or not you choose to exercise this privilege per month.

Last edited by mikez; 06-22-10 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-22-10, 08:58 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you referring to supercar clubs? Where you pay $X/mo and borrow the cars?

As I understand those cost between $2k and $5k per mo.
Old 06-22-10, 09:01 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

I am asking you how much are you willing to pay? I know how much they charge but I am asking what is your value on such privileges.
Old 06-22-10, 09:16 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

That's a toughie then; I like my stable for most things & I don't have a huge desire to just drive through our high-end retail/hotel areas, so I would probably only take a supercar once, maybe twice a month for a drive to somewhere. MOST of my random drives when a supercar would be perfect are very spontanious and quite late at night so I clearly can't get the car at that time.

I'm sure I undervalue the option but probably only $1k - $2k per mo. I would be FAR more likely to just rent the cars one-off times but most of those clubs (except a couple in Vegas) don't really do that.
Old 06-22-10, 09:18 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Right, most people would only rent once or twice and call it a life time experience. But what if the fee was low enough that you just want to keep the membership monthly, yearly because its so cheap? And you still get the privilege of driving the cars per month?
Old 06-22-10, 09:22 AM
drpatel77
Lead Lap

Default ..

now is this a commitment every month... or when u do rent u can have for whole month.... 1K / mo i would consider but not every month all year long... maybe couple of months a year or so....

can someone explain do these clubs require every month ?? how do contracts work..
Old 06-22-10, 09:25 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Clubs don't require every month, most clubs requires a one time membership fees of 5k or so, then an annual fee of 16 - 20k.

Or you can rent one for about 2k a day etc.

I am wondering how much you're willing to pay monthly for the same privilege of owning these cars for x days a month, but it has to be a monthly commitment. Not what the other clubs offer.
Old 06-22-10, 09:27 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Allow me to clarify: my one off renting wouldn't be to check a box for 'life time experience' - it would be purely for conveniance. IMO, this is like asking me how cheap would the boat/yacht have to be for me to own one; I don't want to own a boat/yacht, I love boating/yachting but the extra work & headache that goes with it isn't worth it to me (even if you have someone else doing it for you), hiring as needed/wanted is so much easier.

Also, I don't consider borrowing the cars a privilage if I'm paying to do so.

I think the dollar value that most are going to consider 'cheap enough to just pay for the year' isn't going to be enough for the company running this operation to stay in business. Part of the cost is for exclusivity for sure, but if a company isn't making what's called a 'normal profit' they can't stay in business.
Old 06-22-10, 09:29 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

I think you should leave the profitability aspect to me this isn't what the thread is about, its supposed to be a purely speculative dreaming thread.

I don't know about you, if I can pay 10 bucks a month to drive a Ferrari every weekend that seems like a better deal than buying a M3

Last edited by mikez; 06-22-10 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-22-10, 09:35 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Discussions contian many aspects pertaining to the prior, if all you were after was a dollar range without the 'whys' that go with the selection, than perhaps a poll would have been advantagious. Also, a clearer statement of the prior (I get the feeling you have a fairly specific senario in mind) may get you closer to the type of responses you are after.
Old 06-22-10, 09:43 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

How would a poll be advantageous when the $ range can differ from 1000s to one dollar?

I have no scenario in mind, either you like cars enough to be interested in this kind of gig, like someone paying a monthly fee to get to eat for free a few times a month at five star restaurants, or you don't.

If you do, what would you pay?

If you don't, you wouldnt even do it for a cent.

Simple as that.
Old 06-22-10, 09:46 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

^ I guess that all depends if you want to keep the discussion within a reasonable realm or not. You can also include an option such as 'other - please specify'
Old 06-22-10, 10:05 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Well if everyone wants it for free then it wouldn't work wouldn't it lol. The venture would end up like Skype, lots of people use it, no one wants to pay for it
Old 06-22-10, 10:13 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Thus far, you've managed to counter your own points.

$10/mo obviously isn't feesible to drive a ferrari (unless it's this one)
Old 06-22-10, 10:38 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Hey fey, how much is 10usd per month if there is 50,000 in the USA willing to enjoy this privilege?

How much is each person paying for Satellite TV? A lot less than a Satellite, last time I checked.

Last edited by mikez; 06-22-10 at 10:41 AM.

Quick Reply: How much would you pay for supercar privilege?