Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 TL SH-AWD vs 2010 ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-10, 12:46 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 TL SH-AWD vs 2010 ES 350

I know the ES is not all wheel drive. I own an 07 ES 350, but have owned 3 Acura TL's previously.

There are some great deals on the ES right now, due to the recent B.S. news. Acura, too, has incentives.

Is the SH-AWD worth the extra $? Who has the better Nav system?

Thanks
Old 03-13-10, 01:03 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would say no to both. ES is too soft and boring and TL is not a looker.
Old 03-13-10, 01:04 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

but well if i had to choose one, i would buy TL SH-AWD and remove the grill.
Old 03-13-10, 01:10 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i still hate the rear, but front is salvageable.

Old 03-13-10, 01:10 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i would go with RonJon grill just like the above. all black.
Old 03-13-10, 01:13 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ES, because it's soft
Old 03-13-10, 01:36 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

TL looks horrible and the price for the SH-AWD is outrageous. However it is the best AWD system available.
Old 03-13-10, 02:02 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I went and looked at the TL before buying the ES.I really loved the last generation TL but just hate the front and back of the new generation.Honda killed it.
Old 03-13-10, 02:46 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

You can't beat a car that needs just routine preventive maintenance like the 2 cars you mentioned, but don't be fooled by the AWD as being some cure all to everything you think you need, having had several 4WD and AWD vehicles, they are overrated, having lived in the northeast, I've seen more AWD capable vehicles crash in bad weather then anything, and remember, as nice and capable as your car is, it always leaves me with a weird feeling, to look over and see a civic with mismatched headlights, running on one wheel drive, sitting besides me, so when someone says, if you don't have to go, don't

With that said, the ES is nice but you have one, is your lease about to expire, if you lease, your suppose to jump around, try other makes, might as well buy if your looking for the same car for longer then 3 years.

The Acura is new and different but will you feel that way when it's just a car payment and the newness factor has worn off.

Never thought I would say this, but might as well get an SHO Taurus, it's 40g's but you should be able to get a good deal on one, don't know what the longterm ownership looks like but then everything is a risk

Lastly, I really wanted an 08 TLS, before I got my 09 Maxima
Old 03-13-10, 02:49 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
You can't beat a car that needs just routine preventive maintenance like the 2 cars you mentioned, but don't be fooled by the AWD as being some cure all to everything you think you need, having had several 4WD and AWD vehicles, they are overrated, having lived in the northeast, I've seen more AWD capable vehicles crash in bad weather then anything, and remember, as nice and capable as your car is, it always leaves me with a weird feeling, to look over and see a civic with mismatched headlights, running on one wheel drive, sitting besides me, so when someone says, if you don't have to go, don't

With that said, the ES is nice but you have one, is your lease about to expire, if you lease, your suppose to jump around, try other makes, might as well buy if your looking for the same car for longer then 3 years.

The Acura is new and different but will you feel that way when it's just a car payment and the newness factor has worn off.

Never thought I would say this, but might as well get an SHO Taurus, it's 40g's but you should be able to get a good deal on one, don't know what the longterm ownership looks like but then everything is a risk

Lastly, I really wanted an 08 TLS, before I got my 09 Maxima

Very nice car but really big and long.
Also new design with new engine.Scary.
Old 03-13-10, 02:57 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As between those 2 only, I'd go with the TL. The ES is too soft for my liking. But the TL is fugly. Lexus nav has nicer graphics, but Honda's is better. It's much more intuitive and user friendly.
Old 03-13-10, 03:26 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Very nice car but really big and long.
Also new design with new engine.Scary.
very true, also I'm interested to read about how the Turbos hold up as well as the rest of the car, BMW has been having the high pressure fuel pump failures, all I know about Ford with Turbos is the Powerstroke diesels, had a few friends with them and they gave out exactly at 60k, odd how they burnt out like that
Old 03-13-10, 03:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

The TL will handle and perform better. The navigation is also much better in the Acura. TT=he ES on the other hand will have a better ride, more quiet cabin, and probably less minor issue like vibration and rattles. The Lexus ride quality and luxury is so appealing but the Acura will be more fun to drive. I think that the ES350 looks nicer than a TL. If it was up to me I would probably get the ES because of the service quality, styling , and tomb silent cabin
Old 03-13-10, 03:57 PM
LexFather

I've driven both. Both have nice interiors the ES makes better use of room. The TL is sportier. The ES more refined. Acceleration is similar. The ES gets better MPG.

The ES is aging gracefully and is truly a good looking car. As everyone is well aware the TL looks horrific, childish and nothing can save it.

Both perfectly competent cars. If you want people to laugh and kids to cry when you drive then the TL is for you.

Old 03-13-10, 04:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I've driven both. Both have nice interiors the ES makes better use of room. The TL is sportier. The ES more refined. Acceleration is similar. The ES gets better MPG.

The ES is aging gracefully and is truly a good looking car. As everyone is well aware the TL looks horrific, childish and nothing can save it.

Both perfectly competent cars. If you want people to laugh and kids to cry when you drive then the TL is for you.
The ES will understeer into a tree and kill you. Its shape is getting dated.....but yes the TL is ugly ( unless it has the factory aero kt with 20. Its beautiful when worked like most cars)

Quick Reply: 2010 TL SH-AWD vs 2010 ES 350