Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 TL SH-AWD vs 2010 ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-10, 11:59 AM
kdd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
Thats a hard choice. The TL is a great car except for the exterior styling. I'm sure it handles well and has good reliability. Not too sure about the interior as I have not been in an acura since my TL-S. Changing this grill makes all the difference in the world

That being said, I used to like acura until I got a TL Type S and the transmission died at 800 miles and died again later. I'm sure they fixed the issue but no acura's for me anymore.

The currently updated ES looks pretty good in my opinion. The front bumper design looks way better than the previous version. I've driven my aunts 09 ES. It drives okay. Nothing spectacular. It has a pretty soft ride if thats what you are looking for. The interior is nice except for the area with the wood on the cupholder that looks out of place.

I'd go with the ES if it really is just between these two cars
The Acura grill doesn't bother or offend me like it apparently does a lot of people. The only thing that I dislike is the inanely pretentious name for it "power plenum." Having said that, that grill in the pic you posted is fantastic. I'd definitely replace the original with that one for sure.
Old 03-16-10, 02:48 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kdd
The Acura grill doesn't bother or offend me like it apparently does a lot of people. The only thing that I dislike is the inanely pretentious name for it "power plenum." Having said that, that grill in the pic you posted is fantastic. I'd definitely replace the original with that one for sure.
+1. That looks so much better, and it retains a stock appearance. I actually think that front end looks good now.
Old 03-16-10, 03:02 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It does look quite nicer. Maybe it's because of the darker color. It hides the ugly better

While the front looks salvagable, how about the rear end? It's the worse part of the car, more so than the grille.
Old 03-16-10, 03:29 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pvmike1
+1. That looks so much better, and it retains a stock appearance. I actually think that front end looks good now.
Mike?

A front grill should be added to accent the car, not b/c its so ugly it NEEDS a new grill. I've changed front grills all the time but for personal preference not b/c the car is ugly.

Even painted, look at the size and width of the painted beak surround and it looks like a Camry. Not to mention Acura is furious dealers are painting the grills and adding grills after being specifically told the beak is here to stay.

To me if you buy this car and you change the grill you have acknowledged its hideous. Acura went through all this beak trouble and its a slap in their face to change the grill.

Now how do you fix the sides and the back?

Other options

Since we are posting modded cars

With Work wheels

Old 03-16-10, 03:31 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ I love how compact the ES looks.
Old 03-16-10, 06:22 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike?

A front grill should be added to accent the car, not b/c its so ugly it NEEDS a new grill. I've changed front grills all the time but for personal preference not b/c the car is ugly.

Even painted, look at the size and width of the painted beak surround and it looks like a Camry. Not to mention Acura is furious dealers are painting the grills and adding grills after being specifically told the beak is here to stay.
Yeah, I know.

I still don't like the TL rear end, but either of the 2 Ronjon grills does wonders for the front. The other grills, well, not so much. IMO, the TL front end with a Ronjon grill actually looks better than the ES front end.

Old 03-16-10, 06:23 PM
LexFather

TL owner at a car meet?

Old 03-16-10, 06:39 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

TL owner at a car meet?

Or me in this thread. lol.

OT, but I've been thinking about buying a sedan. Neither of these two would ever make my list. Even if price isn't taken into account, I'd prefer a UCF 31 LS430 UL or CL...
Old 03-16-10, 07:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The ES will understeer into a tree and kill you.
Not if you drive it halfway sensibly. First, public roads are not F1 courses, and Second, the ES is not designed to be a sports sedan. Even so, the somewhat stiffer-riding ES350 handles better than the ES330 which preceeded it.
Old 03-16-10, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Now, that's more like it. Even though it is an obvious copy of the V-series Cadillac wire-mesh grilles, it's probably the best-looking TL front-end yet.....and damn-sure better than the stock parrot-beak.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-16-10 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-16-10, 07:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lex
ES, because it's soft
It's actually not as soft as the ES330 it replaced back in 2006. In fact, that has been the source of some owner complaints.
Old 03-16-10, 07:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I have to agree with 1SICK, on this. There are safety features on board that will prevent this. Once the on board yaw sensor detects any kind of over/under steering situation it will straighten you out instantly. If you're driving an ES350 beyond the computers help, well.........God help you.
Yes. That's true. I agree with both of you. And Lexus, at one time, had VSC, with no shut-off button, that could not be defeated except by a long and complex process (I don't remember the exact procedure). They only added the shut-off switches, reluctantly, because of complaints from the auto press and a few ultra-enthusiast owners. Of course, the IS-F was a different case from the start.
Old 03-16-10, 07:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It's actually not as soft as the ES330 it replaced back in 2006. In fact, that has been the source of some owner complaints.
I think "some" is the operative word.
Old 03-16-10, 08:02 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took an Acura Tl SH-AWD home for the night for a test drive. I noticed that a few things better than the ES. The overhead console and other buttons are lit up and clear to see. Even the map light buttons for the rear seats light up. The new Nav system is fantastic and clear to see, may beat Lexus. I do miss the push button screen, but the **** is very easy to use.

The car is quick, most of the power comes at higher RPMs. I do feel the bumps more than the ES (obviously). It is tight, it is responsive. It is sporty.

The ES has a power tilt wheel, puddle lamps, rear sunshade, parking sensors, and probably a few other nice options that I will miss.

I may actually sign the papers tomorrow.

By the way, I picked the new Bronze color with the Umber leather. Very rare, but either you love it or hate it. Still on the fence on the final color.
Old 03-16-10, 08:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I think "some" is the operative word.
True. No two owners are exactly alike.

I myself don't own an ES, but I immediately noticed the difference in ride stiffness when I first reviewed the 2006 model, though the car remained as library-quiet as the ES330 it replaced, and the drivetrain also remained silky-smooth. The 2010 model, in addition to its (needed) interior-trim upgrade, also seems, to me, to ride a little smoother once again, even though it did not get a major redesign....a major redesign is still forthcoming.

Quick Reply: 2010 TL SH-AWD vs 2010 ES 350