Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

January 2010 Auto Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-10, 07:01 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
I don't even want to drive Acura and I'm a long time acura fan. my last acura was 03 MDX, and it will probably remain as my last acura. none of their cars interest me including MDX which many people seem to like.
For me they are lagging behind on technology and design...so naturally what else is there? I've never driven the SH-AWD, but my understanding is that it's pretty good. I wouldn't buy an RL though when I could have an AWD GS, E Class, 5 Series, or CTS.
Old 02-14-10, 06:03 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

So it turns out Kia is offering $1000 cash back nationally on the new 2011 Sorento, among some other deals. I'm sure that helped with the January sales of the Sorento. Kia will probably continue offering it, as Sorento sales were Kia's only real bright spot. Quite a few of Kia's models were down, and some of their older models have downright horrible sales. Sportage, Sedona, and Rondo sales were terrible. The 2011 Sorento alone made up for 33% of Kia's January sales volume!

Also discovered some interesting things about Hyundai's sales results. As an example here are some of the deals they right now are offering in Cali (LA area):

2010 Accent: $1000 cash back
2010 Azera: $500 cash back
2009 Elantra: $2000 cash back
2010 Elantra: $1500 cash back
2010 Genesis: $399/month lease
2010 Genesis Coupe: $259/month lease
2009 Santa Fe: $2500 cash back
2010 Santa Fe: $1000 cash back
2010 Veracruz: $1000 cash back
2010 Sonata: $2500 cash back
2009 Tuscon: $2000 cash back

Looking at Hyundai's official national rebates, they could actually use more rebates on the Genesis line. I think that might actually be part of the reason for the low sales, as most consumers probably expect lots of rebates on Hyundai models. Even the Veracruz has some hefty rebates, yet that's not helping sales at all. Hyundai likely can't push the Genesis prices much lower, and on the other hand more rebates might not help Hyundai at all in the higher end of the market.

These are the official national rebates. I'm sure there are some local dealers that will give you even more off MSRP, but not all of them will likely do it.

So we can see the cash back deals with the low end Hyundai models certainly helped them move, especially the Sonata, Tuscon and Elantra deals.

The 2011 Sonata has no cash back national rebates; it only has a standard $199/month lease deal and a few standard APR rates.

The 2010 Tuscon also has no cash back deals, only standard lease and APR rates. Compare this to the 2011 Sorento, which has cash back offers among some other more substantial deals than the 2010 Tuscon.

Looks like a big chunk of Tuscon and Sonata sales for January were old models being pushed by big rebates.

It will be very interesting to see Tuscon and Sonata sales over the coming months as both are newly redesigned, and as such offer a lot less deals than the previous gen models.
Old 02-16-10, 08:29 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It will be very interesting to see Tuscon and Sonata sales over the coming months as both are newly redesigned, and as such offer a lot less deals than the previous gen models.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...on-crossover/1

dealers running short of new Tucson crossover. it's selling very well. i expect tucson to outsell santa fe easily. my local dealer sold all of their tucson in 8 days! they will get a new batch soon, but moms are lining up for tucson right now.
Old 02-16-10, 09:20 AM
LexFather

Everyone has incentives, some more than others. Some have more fleet sales than others.

Old 02-20-10, 04:54 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Default Japan January 2010 sales

1. Toyota Prius - 22306
2. Honda Fit - 13058
3. Toyota Vitz -8715
4. Toyota Corolla - 8035
5. Toyota Passo - 7356
6. Nissan Serena - 7349
7. Honda Step - 6471
8. Honda Freed - 6436
9. Toyota Vellfire - 5813
10. Mazda Demio - 5589
22. Honda Insight - 3430

As recently as December 2009, the Honda Insight was firmly in the Top 5 in car sales in Japan. In January we can see the Insight experienced a HUGE sales drop. The Insight is officially a complete failure, as even sales in Japan have become horrible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Japan - January 2010 luxury sales:

BMW (excluding Mini): 1008
Mercedes: 1522
Lexus: 3833

Lexus has started the year with big sales in Japan, and this is a huge gap between Lexus and Mercedes and BMW. Only a year or two ago Lexus Japan sales were lagging behind Benz and BMW, and now they have leapfrogged both. Lexus has a good chance at being the #1 luxury brand this year sales-wise in Japan.
Old 02-20-10, 05:48 PM
LexFather

1. Toyota Prius - 22306
2. Honda Fit - 13058
3. Toyota Vitz -8715
4. Toyota Corolla - 8035
5. Toyota Passo - 7356
6. Nissan Serena - 7349
7. Honda Step - 6471
8. Honda Freed - 6436
9. Toyota Vellfire - 5813
10. Mazda Demio - 5589
22. Honda Insight - 3430

As recently as December 2009, the Honda Insight was firmly in the Top 5 in car sales in Japan. In January we can see the Insight experienced a HUGE sales drop. The Insight is officially a complete failure, as even sales in Japan have become horrible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lexus has started the year with big sales in Japan, and this is a huge gap between Lexus and Mercedes and BMW. Only a year or two ago Lexus Japan sales were lagging behind Benz and BMW, and now they have leapfrogged both. Lexus has a good chance at being the #1 luxury brand this year sales-wise in Japan.

Thanks for the info! Seems Lexus will be #1 in its home for the first time if it keeps up this pace.

Old 02-20-10, 05:59 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Numbers confirmed, I just checked with the official data sites:
http://www.jaia-jp.org/e/stat/quick_...01shamei_e.htm
http://jamaserv.jama.or.jp/newdb/eng/index.html

Lexus outsold BMW, Mercedes, and Audi combined for January...from what I gather, the HS 250h is a main factor powering these stellar numbers.
Old 02-20-10, 06:05 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Indeed the big increase in Lexus sales is mainly thanks to the HS, but I have a feeling the freshened LS is helping sales, and IS sales are probably decent as well.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 02-20-10 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-20-10, 06:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by encore888
Numbers confirmed, I just checked with the official data sites:
http://www.jaia-jp.org/e/stat/quick_...01shamei_e.htm
http://jamaserv.jama.or.jp/newdb/eng/index.html

Lexus outsold BMW, Mercedes, and Audi combined for January...from what I gather, the HS 250h is a main factor powering these stellar numbers.
Amazing, just amazing.

Indeed the big increase in Lexus sales is mainly thanks to the HS, but I have the freshened LS is helping sales, and IS sales are probably decent as well.
Well its fine if the HS was the motivator, just means they foretasted correctly what people wanted there.

I wonder will they get the Ch?

Old 02-20-10, 07:07 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Another addition to the Japan January sales chart:

19. Toyota Sai - 3914

The Toyota Sai (rebadged HS) did fairly well sales-wise.

Toyota definitely forecasted correctly, but they actually underpredicted HS demand, as waiting lists continue to be months long. We can also see Sai sales are gradually increasing, meaning the HS is not satisfying the demand currently.

The Sai, an HS rebadge, actually outsold the Insight in January.

The Ch, don't you mean the CT?

That's a good question as to whether Japan will get it, and personally I think they will. Hatchbacks tend to do quite well in Japan, and this will further establish hybrid superiority for Lexus in Japan as well as help improve the image and halo of Lexus in environmentally-conscious Japan. The CT200h I think will very likely be offered in Japan, not sure about other potential engine choices though.