Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

January 2010 Auto Sales Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 10:17 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lintie
Wow...This by far has to be the best forum around when it comes to info on manufacture sales for all brands. I know it must be alot of work. Nice work guys and thanks.
it's a very nice forum. many nice people, and we have this guy who owns Koenigsegg.
Old 02-02-10, 10:37 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Strange headline...

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...uto-sales.html

Daimler’s Mercedes Jumps 45% to Lead U.S. Luxury Auto Sales
February 02, 2010, 05:16 PM EST
By Mike Ramsey

Feb. 2 (Bloomberg) -- Mercedes-Benz’s U.S. sales surged 45 percent in January, leading luxury-auto makers as the Daimler AG unit outsold Bayerische Motoren Werke AG’s namesake brand and almost passed Toyota Motor Corp.’s Lexus.

Mercedes today reported an increase to 15,158, led by a doubling of deliveries of its revamped E-Class cars. Lexus, the top-selling U.S. luxury-auto brand, rose 5.4 percent from a year earlier to 15,517. BMW posted a 7.6 percent gain to 13,163.
Kudos to Mercedes for jumping to almost first, but the headline makes it sound like they were the top seller among luxury brands, oh and "footnote" actually there was this other brand that outsold them, by a little. It could be seen as a biased angle, but on one month's sales results...oh well.
Old 02-02-10, 10:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by encore888
Strange headline...

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...uto-sales.html

Kudos to Mercedes for jumping to almost first, but the headline makes it sound like they were the top seller among luxury brands, oh and "footnote" actually there was this other brand that outsold them, by a little. It could be seen as a biased angle, but on one month's sales results...oh well.
Not surprising. People want Toyota and Lexus to fall, hard and far. It is like last year they tried to spin BMW beating Lexus...we didn't hear hardly anything about Lexus coming from behind to win for 10 years.

Old 02-02-10, 10:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lintie
Wow...This by far has to be the best forum around when it comes to info on manufacture sales for all brands. I know it must be alot of work. Nice work guys and thanks.
Welcome to Clublexus. As you can see it is a "Team" effort as a lot of members take time to post information.

Old 02-03-10, 12:05 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Great sales results for Lexus Japan. Very strong start, Lexus could potentially outsell BMW and Mercedes in 2010 in Japan.

Honda remains #3 in Japan, Toyota continues to dominate the market there, no surprises.

Lexus and Mercedes US sales very close for the month. Lexus beats Mercedes with a slight edge. RX sales strong as usual, and a great start for the new GX. Very strong month sales-wise. ES, LS, IS all pretty solid. HS not bad, but not great either. I am guessing more HS supply is going to Japan. The waiting lists for the HS in Japan continue to be several months long.

The GX outsold virtually all of it's competition (depending on if you count X5, MDX, or ML as competition, since technically they are not body-on-frame like the GX).

Looks like all the doom and gloom predicted for Toyota did not occur. Yes some models were down sales-wise that were part of the recall, but overall not too bad. Also consider that the Sienna is currently undergoing a model changeover to the new generation, which arrives at dealerships in February.

Also the predictions of Toyota buyers going to other brands doesn't seem to be all that true.

Excluding the Toyota situation, all automakers should have been up this month because January 2009 was a very awful sales month.

Surprisingly, Honda was down in January despite the Toyota situation. The Corolla even outsold the Civic, which is downright embarrassing for Honda given the Toyota situation.

Great to see the Pilot down sales-wise. The less of those monstrosities on the road I see, the better.

Solid month for Audi. They almost outsold Acura! Lincoln, and Audi could very well soon be outselling Acura along with possibly Infiniti.

Subaru continues to do well, and a big increase for VW.

Good job by Nissan, solid sales for the Maxima continue.

Solid month for Hyundai, Genesis combined sales back under 2K though. Huge drop for Veracruz sales. It seems Hyundai really struggles to sell more expensive models. The Entourage was cancelled, and the Azera and Veracruz are really struggling badly. The Genesis is not doing too well either. Most of Hyundai's sales increase is coming from their lower-end models.

I wouldn't start the party with Ford and GM yet. GM had a big fleet sales increase, so did Ford.

Ford's fleet sales jumped 154 percent from the depressed levels of January 2009 to account for 37 percent of the automaker's January volume. That was enough to overcome a 5 percent decline in retail sales, said George Pipas, Ford's chief sales analyst.
So Ford retail sales actually declined. Looks like Ford is getting a lot of govt help these days too, not just GM.

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
Gahhh the GS always seems to really struggle toward the end of its model cycle. Same thing happened with the previous generation, although I strongly prefer the 2nd Gen. GS to the 3rd, and would take one over any of its competition, past or present.
The GS is still outselling the XF and A6.

Originally Posted by joe80
Wow. How bad is Honda doing? 60k? nissan is only 5k behind at 55k. wow.
Honda's lineup is total fail right now. Nissan will soon be outselling them in the US, just like Nissan outsells Honda in Japan.

i wonder what would Toyota's number be if recall never happened. probably 15% gain? i think recall will hurt toyota badly. toyota have to settle for being #3 in north america this year IMO. GM and Ford is gaining a huge momentum. i don't think they will slow down.
It would be nice if Toyota went to #3 actually, less media spotlight on them, and they can better focus on quality and exciting cars.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
What's up with the Avalon 944 units for the month? Its sales have been declining month after month but this is really low. I wouldn't think the recall problems would impact it this much in January.
What does the recall have to do with it? The full-size family sedan segment is shrinking, and the Avalon is an old model, soon to be replaced or redesigned. The recall may have had an effect, but Avalon sales have been going down now for a long time. Despite that, Avalon still destroyed the Azera sales-wise. That model might as well not even be in Hyundai's lineup, it's almost invisible.
Old 02-03-10, 12:31 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Avalon still destroyed the Azera sales-wise.
This was pretty random
Old 02-03-10, 03:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Recall and public uproar started on 21st... thats 1/3 of the month.
About 50% of volume is in question but at the same time, would you buy another car from the same make with so many roumors going around? I dont think i would.
Old 02-03-10, 05:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Recall and public uproar started on 21st... thats 1/3 of the month.
About 50% of volume is in question but at the same time, would you buy another car from the same make with so many roumors going around? I dont think i would.
In the case of the Avalon, with an older conservative buyer base, they may have gone to other brands in greater numbers sooner. I'm sure the LaCrosse is capturing a lot of their sales. With 944 units sold he model needs something soon.
Old 02-03-10, 06:51 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pagemaster
This was pretty random
Stop it. You Randomly brought up the Sequioa on page one. This is the sales thread where people can make random observations.

Old 02-03-10, 07:25 AM
LexFather

I have to add Buick 10,061 sold.

My predictions r holding true. Caddy and Buick passing Acura. What is crazy is Lincoln Audi and Infiniti r right behind Acura.

Gonna b interesting

Old 02-03-10, 07:48 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have to add Buick 10,061 sold.

My predictions r holding true. Caddy and Buick passing Acura. What is crazy is Lincoln Audi and Infiniti r right behind Acura.

Gonna b interesting
God, what happened to Acura? This is the first Japanese premium/luxury offshoot and now they look like a plane in search of an airport. They better find their way before they run out of fuel and crash.

Total mismanagement seems to be the problem. I just keep seeing wrong products and wrong execution. If the ZDX and TL are a sign of things to come from Acura then dark days are ahead. I lament the time when they were making great cars like the Legend, Vigor, NSX, and first-second generation TL.
Old 02-03-10, 08:29 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

What happened to Acura? The same thing that happened with Honda in general; arrogance and the very stubborn attitude that most Honda execs have.

Instead of catering to the market and to consumer's needs, Honda thinks only they know what's best, and that they will tell consumers what they need.

Over the years I have known this all too well, having owned a Honda, and having dealt with a variety of Honda products in detail.

The arrogance and stubborn attitude of Honda is finally starting to catch up to them.

Last edited by TRDFantasy; 02-03-10 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-03-10, 08:53 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

I don't even want to drive Acura and I'm a long time acura fan. my last acura was 03 MDX, and it will probably remain as my last acura. none of their cars interest me including MDX which many people seem to like.
Old 02-09-10, 02:37 PM
LexFather

I don't even want to drive Acura and I'm a long time acura fan. my last acura was 03 MDX, and it will probably remain as my last acura. none of their cars interest me including MDX which many people seem to like.
I think most people feel like that sadly. They are ugly, now overpriced and not advanced.

CUV comparison

Old 02-12-10, 06:53 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

7396 for sorento is very impressive. that's alot because i only saw 2 of them on the road so far. no one is buying element. ouch..

Quick Reply: January 2010 Auto Sales Thread