Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Magazine - We Want Your Feedback

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-09, 05:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

I would like to see some modified Lexus vehicles. Just a small segment here and there. Info on future Lexus models, sales numbers, racing, drifting, safety, as well as design and quality awards and accolades . I want this magazine to make me proud to a Lexus owner and make me want to want to continue to be a Lexus owner.
Old 11-23-09, 05:22 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Several people referenced past threads on the Lexus Magazine but let me be the first to remind everyone that most of us do not like it.
It's not for enthusiasts in the least....but I don't see even regular owners of Lexus cars liking it. There are no articles on the cars and even if there were, who wants to read about stock Lexus cars.
We are enthusiasts and we want a magazine for us. With beautiful full pics of our cars and stories about the owners and their vision/choices of modifications. Stories about why people who obviously love cars would even choose Lexus with so many other "drivers" cars out there.
I don't want stories about a village in Spain. I don't want stories about gourmet foods. I don't want stories about rich people's lifestyle. There are other magazines for that. I want to see our cars in print. Sign me up for a subscription when you get something like this going.

Well said Reggie, Nothing like having a lexus Mag geared towards us and what we like. I've been thinking about this for years having a Magazine with modified GS's, SC's, LS, IS, and IS-F's. To me this is more exciting than ready about sculptures and people visiting other countries. Like you said there's other magazines for that..

Why can't it be like FUBU... "FOR US BY US"
Old 11-23-09, 07:07 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I know that Lexus does reflect the luxury/prestige hence the expensive travel and recipe, but we need MORE about the LEXUS vehicles/upcoming cars, concepts.
yes yes yes
Old 11-23-09, 07:59 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Unfortunately there isn't anything in the articles that couldn't be found on Lexus.com. Yeah the scenery is nice but if the magazine is put out by a company that builds cars then make it about CARS. Like other people have said, we want some meat and potatoes, some juicy inside bits, the story that you can't see on Lexus.com -it's in there somewhere.

Also, let me be clear: I don't necessarily dislike the articles about food and fine living but with such light coverage of the cars, I have no interest in diving into the magazine at all so I never get as far as the food, recipes, travel, and hotels. If I am not going to read the inside scoop on Lexus then I damn sure don't care about food and lodging.

These are a few of the topics that I would like to see covered:

- Lexus leather- I have heard that the cows Lexus uses are not housed in barbed wire enclosures so as not to create uneven marks or snags in the hide. Is that true? How are the hides chosen? How many times are they dyed? How are the colors chosen? How are they stitched together?

- F Cars- IS F and LFA have been amazing and I have to believe that there is more to come. I want to see some interviews with the men behind the wheel talking about their experiences. Things like this provide a sense of history and make the car seem more special. What is next for F? What does the F skunkworks team want to see next?

- Hybrids- Allegedly a switch to Lithium Ion is in the works, but to this point Lexus has stayed with NiMh. Why? Pros? Cons? Where is the technology going in the future? How is it better than the competition?

- A "Grass/Roots" look at wood trim-WTF is Bubinga wood trim? Why did Lexus choose it for the LX and GX? Why should I care what kind of wood trim my car has? I have heard that the wood in Lexus cars is grown in sustainable forests- is this true? If so, elaborate. How are the veneers carved, dyed, and placed? By hand? How are colors chosen? What is the inspiration?

- Design- Who is the head of design? What is this guy like? What is his vision? His influence? Where does he see Lexus design heading in coming years? Why are we seeing such funky grilles on the cars now?

- History- at 20 years old Lexus is now full of history. How about something like, "On this day in 1991" or "This marks the 8th year that..." or "This is the 20th anniversary of the Lexus brand". Some throwbacks would be cool.

- Safety- inside looks at crash testing, safety feature implementation, design, airbags, sensors, etc. Lexus tries to stay at the fore front of safety so there needs to be some bragging done here. Also, several years ago in the back of model brochures Lexus had testimonials from real owners who had been in accidents. Bring these back...they were immensely powerful and interesting.

- Concept Cars- The LF-Ch represents a whole new direction for the company and could be a radical step. Let's get some back story and information on why Lexus has chosen to go this route. The car is also wickedly hot to look at so let's get some quotes from the people who designed it. Let's hear some cool facts and interesting information.

- Community Involvement- What are Lexus dealers doing in their local communities to make a difference? What are they doing on a corporate level? I know the company does plenty of sponsoring and has enough involvement to write about every now and then.

...see where I am going here? We need a scoop or some kind of reason to pick the magazine up in the first place. Something that will make us feel good about buying a Lexus.

Last edited by MPLexus301; 11-23-09 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-23-09, 08:37 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

dont really care about no lexus mag...just want some holiday special maintenance coupons from lexus...
Old 11-23-09, 09:02 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Unfortunately there isn't anything in the articles that couldn't be found on Lexus.com. Yeah the scenery is nice but if the magazine is put out by a company that builds cars then make it about CARS. Like other people have said, we want some meat and potatoes, some juicy inside bits, the story that you can't see on Lexus.com -it's in there somewhere.

Also, let me be clear: I don't necessarily dislike the articles about food and fine living but with such light coverage of the cars, I have no interest in diving into the magazine at all so I never get as far as the food, recipes, travel, and hotels. If I am not going to read the inside scoop on Lexus then I damn sure don't care about food and lodging.

These are a few of the topics that I would like to see covered:

- Lexus leather- I have heard that the cows Lexus uses are not housed in barbed wire enclosures so as not to create uneven marks or snags in the hide. Is that true? How are the hides chosen? How many times are they dyed? How are the colors chosen? How are they stitched together?

- F Cars- IS F and LFA have been amazing and I have to believe that there is more to come. I want to see some interviews with the men behind the wheel talking about their experiences. Things like this provide a sense of history and make the car seem more special. What is next for F? What does the F skunkworks team want to see next?

- Hybrids- Allegedly a switch to Lithium Ion is in the works, but to this point Lexus has stayed with NiMh. Why? Pros? Cons? Where is the technology going in the future? How is it better than the competition?

- A "Grass/Roots" look at wood trim-WTF is Bubinga wood trim? Why did Lexus choose it for the LX and GX? Why should I care what kind of wood trim my car has? I have heard that the wood in Lexus cars is grown in sustainable forests- is this true? If so, elaborate. How are the veneers carved, dyed, and placed? By hand? How are colors chosen? What is the inspiration?

- Design- Who is the head of design? What is this guy like? What is his vision? His influence? Where does he see Lexus design heading in coming years? Why are we seeing such funky grilles on the cars now?

- History- at 20 years old Lexus is now full of history. How about something like, "On this day in 1991" or "This marks the 8th year that..." or "This is the 20th anniversary of the Lexus brand". Some throwbacks would be cool.

- Safety- inside looks at crash testing, safety feature implementation, design, airbags, sensors, etc. Lexus tries to stay at the fore front of safety so there needs to be some bragging done here. Also, several years ago in the back of model brochures Lexus had testimonials from real owners who had been in accidents. Bring these back...they were immensely powerful and interesting.

- Concept Cars- The LF-Ch represents a whole new direction for the company and could be a radical step. Let's get some back story and information on why Lexus has chosen to go this route. The car is also wickedly hot to look at so let's get some quotes from the people who designed it. Let's hear some cool facts and interesting information.

- Community Involvement- What are Lexus dealers doing in their local communities to make a difference? What are they doing on a corporate level? I know the company does plenty of sponsoring and has enough involvement to write about every now and then.

...see where I am going here? We need a scoop or some kind of reason to pick the magazine up in the first place. Something that will make us feel good about buying a Lexus.
+1

This is exactly what the magazine should be. It is fine if there are a few "taste" of lexus articles, ie food, locations... But the bulk should be about the cars and innovations.
Old 11-24-09, 02:48 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
Several people referenced past threads on the Lexus Magazine but let me be the first to remind everyone that most of us do not like it.
It's not for enthusiasts in the least....but I don't see even regular owners of Lexus cars liking it. There are no articles on the cars and even if there were, who wants to read about stock Lexus cars.
We are enthusiasts and we want a magazine for us. With beautiful full pics of our cars and stories about the owners and their vision/choices of modifications. Stories about why people who obviously love cars would even choose Lexus with so many other "drivers" cars out there.
I don't want stories about a village in Spain. I don't want stories about gourmet foods. I don't want stories about rich people's lifestyle. There are other magazines for that. I want to see our cars in print. Sign me up for a subscription when you get something like this going.
i concur.
Old 11-24-09, 08:18 AM
LexFather

Great suggestions in here. As an avid Lexus follower and owner for years and years, sadly the Lexus magazine was NOT something I couldn't wait to get. I rarely read those "Short Stories". I don't want to read about some other city or place, I have other magazines for that. The magazine was filled with so many non-Lexus items or articles that barely mentioned Lexus I thought it was for monks in Tibet or something.

I did like articles on owners (usually short though) and of course pieces on the cars. There was a great article on how the LS 600h L was made and talked about the chief engineer.

You also need to hire me to do some writing

As for the current layout, I think its fine, easy to figure out. I went to the IS-C/Spain article and I think the pics were clear and great and I like how the window popped up with the big arrows.

I went to the vehicles and I want to say it felt similar to the website with the "+" to touch on the vehicle.

Thanks for asking us for our feedback!!!

Old 11-24-09, 09:14 AM
Haitwun
Pole Position

In addition to all the wonderful suggestions from the previous posts, I would like to see a section dedicated to an individual Lexus owner and his/her Lexus. Talk about how the owner got the car, any modifications, where he/she does with the car, etc.
There was an article in BMW magazine about a man who owned all 4 generations of M3's. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are just as enthusiastic about their Lexus. Heck there is a guy down the street from me who has a GX, SC and IS all parked in his driveway. Interview him!
Old 11-24-09, 09:20 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Haitwun
In addition to all the wonderful suggestions from the previous posts, I would like to see a section dedicated to an individual Lexus owner and his/her Lexus. Talk about how the owner got the car, any modifications, where he/she does with the car, etc.
There was an article in BMW magazine about a man who owned all 4 generations of M3's. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are just as enthusiastic about their Lexus. Heck there is a guy down the street from me who has a GX, SC and IS all parked in his driveway. Interview him!
Most of us are multi-lexus owners too, heck with some having >10 easily

Or ask for owners to submit their own story and their experiences.
There wouldn't be any shortages on that

This will draw all types of crowds from the young and enthusiastic to the young-at-heart and still enthusiastic
Old 11-24-09, 10:59 AM
Turnten
Rookie

I can't tell you guys how valuable this feedback is. Really great!

MPLexus301:Great insightful suggestions. Really enjoyed that. Some other great suggestions as well.

Obviously the magazine has to appeal to a larger audience than enthusiasts such as us, so not all content will be for everyone, hence the lifestyle component. That said, anything that can be done to make it better or more interesting for all would be great.

If anyone has anything else to add, all ears!
Old 11-24-09, 11:19 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I didn't mention anything about modified Lexus cars because to the mass of people who receive this magazine, those cars are probably irrelevant. This forum represents a very small portion of people who own Lexus so IMO, a section on modded cars is probably a waste and might even be somewhat frowned upon by the average Lexus owner. This type of conversation is best left to an online forum like this, IMO.

Does the 50 year old CEO who bought a GS460 care about so and so's modded IS 250? Or does the young lady who just bought an HS really want the details on someone's 1995 SC? Probably not. Lexus, as a premium brand, needs to focus on the premium elements of ownership and the perks that Lexus cars provide. Modded cars don't really fit too well into that.
Old 11-24-09, 11:22 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 532 Likes on 281 Posts

I didn't mention anything about modified Lexus cars because to the mass of people who receive this magazine, those cars are probably irrelevant. This forum represents a very small portion of people who own Lexus so IMO, a section on modded cars is probably a waste and might even be somewhat frowned upon by the average Lexus owner. This type of conversation is best left to an online forum like this, IMO.

Does the 50 year old CEO who bought a GS460 care about so and so's modded IS 250? Or does the young lady who just bought an HS really want the details on someone's 1995 SC? Probably not. Lexus, as a premium brand, needs to focus on the premium elements of ownership and the perks that Lexus cars provide. Modded cars don't really fit too well into that.
Very good points.

Although it would be good exposure to see some aftermarket mods. F Sport is a step in the right direction in my opinion. Why not expose the aftermarket options to current owners? It doesn't hurt to showcase a few modified Lexus from time to time.
Old 11-24-09, 11:25 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

^ Showcasing F Sport parts/cars/SEMA would be a great idea, and another way to push the image of the brand to the next level in the minds of current owners.
Old 11-24-09, 02:24 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

While I completely agree that the masses are not enthusiasts I do believe a Lexus Magazine that included features on 1 or 2 modded cars per issue would help we enthusiasts buy this magazine and could possibly bring others into the fold. Many people were not enthusiasts until it was unveiled to them at some point. Once people see how safely it can be done and how much modding personalizes their car, it could spark more interest.
Individuality is one of the characteristics Lexus identified with when the brand was launched. Individuality personifies an enthusiast.

Quick Reply: Lexus Magazine - We Want Your Feedback