Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Merc plans SLS Black Series

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-09, 07:13 PM
LexFather

Post Merc plans SLS Black Series

AMG has kicked off development of a powered-up and pared- down version of its soon-to-be-launched SLS following an official green light from Mercedes-Benz chairman Dieter Zetsche.

The new German super-coupe, tentatively due to go into limited production in 2013, is planned to join an exclusive range of Mercedes-Benz performance cars wearing the AMG Black Series name at a price, Stuttgart insiders hint.

Read the first drive of the standard SLS

It will add at least 50 per cent to the standard SLS’s UK price of around £155k - a move that looks set to pitch it into direct competition with the recently upgraded Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano fitted with Maranello’s latest handling package upgrades.

Describing the SLS AMG Black Series - plans for which have existed ever since a decision was made in 2006 to revive the Gullwing - Mercedes-Benz insiders have told Autocar it will be differentiated from the standard SLS in very much the same vain as the Chevrolet ZR1 is removed from the Chevrolet C06.

At the heart of the go-fast Gullwing is a reworked version of the SLS’s M159 engine. The 6.2-litre V8, already far removed from similar-sized and configured units found in other AMG models, kicks out 563bhp and 479lb ft of torque in standard guise.

For the SLS AMG Black Series, however, its reserves are set to be raised beyond 600bhp and 500lb ft through the inclusion of a larger air manifold, higher compression ratio, reprofiled camshafts and other unspecified tweaks.

“We’re not at the limit with what’s out there the moment. There’s still a good deal more to come from the engine,” says AMG engine boss Friedrich Eichler. “We’re saving the best until last.”

The uprated V8 will continue to place drive through the SLS’s seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox to the rear wheels, with a mechanical locking differential set to be included as part of the upgraded driveline package.

Despite running similar gearing, the added engine reserves, together with detailed aerodynamic tweaks and a 50kg reduction in kerb weight, promise to bring the 0-62mph time down from the standard car’s claimed 3.8sec to under 3.5sec, while raising top speed from 195mph to 208mph.

Autocar

Old 11-01-09, 07:28 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(10chars)
Old 11-01-09, 07:31 PM
LexFather

lol, I think its sweet, the more Black (series) the better

Old 11-01-09, 08:24 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

mmmmm i'm liking the candy red color
Old 11-01-09, 08:28 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice thread Mike,.. always posting some good stuff..
Old 11-01-09, 08:29 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

There is no market appeal right now for an SLS, let alone a Black Series model. This is just extremely bad timing.
Old 11-01-09, 08:32 PM
JessePS

I am honestly getting used to the styling of the SLS.

Guess I will have to add this to my list of cars to compare to the LFA soon.
Old 11-01-09, 08:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FisforFast
There is no market appeal right now for an SLS, let alone a Black Series model. This is just extremely bad timing.
Really? Do tell......

Old 11-01-09, 08:36 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Really? Do tell......
Do tell what?
Old 11-01-09, 08:41 PM
LexFather

Explain your statement please. Any links to back it up?

Old 11-01-09, 08:44 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Explain your statement please. Any links to back it up?
It's a personal opinion. I don't see how it can be backed by links and it needn't any explanation. I think my 'statement' as you call it, is very clear.
Old 11-01-09, 08:56 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Says the guy that has an F, R8 and just ordered a Koenegsigg.
Old 11-01-09, 08:59 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

The market for these types of vehicles is small and primarily limited to the extremely well-off classes for whom money is literally no objective.

Economic crisis or not, cars like the LF-A, SLS etc. will find enough buyers.
Old 11-01-09, 09:18 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Says the guy that has an F, R8 and just ordered a Koenegsigg.
What I own or what I have on order has nothing to do with how I think. My purchases are the sum of hard-though calculations. I fail to see how these companies see it fit or acceptable to be continuously developing and newly releasing these high-end sports cars at the expense of reliability and value in their lower-end, mass-appealing models. Maybe it's just me, or because I'm a businessman, but I don't see this as being acceptable, not in these times.
Old 11-01-09, 09:24 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I own or what I have on order has nothing to do with how I think. My purchases are the sum of hard-though calculations. I fail to see how these companies see it fit or acceptable to be continuously developing and newly releasing these high-end sports cars at the expense of reliability and value in their lower-end, mass-appealing models. Maybe it's just me, or because I'm a businessman, but I don't see this as being acceptable, not in these times.
Obviously not, or you wouldn't be dumping massive amounts of cash into heavily depreciating assests. Contrary to what you believe, there are many other very successful business owners on this site. The difference is most choose not to put so much of their hard earned cash into high end vehicles....and didn't get set up by our parents.

Quick Reply: Merc plans SLS Black Series