Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

REPORT: Utah DoT admits higher speed limits has worked out to less speeding

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 07:27 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Putting a limiter in the car that does not physically allow the car to go above posted speed limits would be considered a breach of rights and freedoms, most likely.
Lets see, if you are legally not allowed to go over 80, but have the capability of doing so, then the only purpose of allowing the ability of going those speeds is to bank on the assumption people will break the law, and the government will generate revenue.

Sorry, I don't buy the safety thing for a second. You want to make it safe, there are plenty more ways to do that then to set arbitrarily low speed limits. A limiter is not one of them. Many cars already have them inplace anyway, just at higher speeds that folks shouldn't be exercising on public roads anyway .
Old 10-27-09, 07:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano

Plus Mike, I'm going to have to disagree with you on the point of safe limits by engineers. There are plenty of roadways here where 65 is just pathetic. I go 65-68 for gas mileage purposes, but everyone flies by me at 70-80+ and they are holding the road just fine, no swerving, nothing of the sort. Wet and Ice weather dictate common sense, if you are stupid enough to speed and act the fool in those conditions, you're asking for an accident, whether going 80 or 65.
I made it clear, in my last post, that there are some stretches that, at least IMO could safely do some higher limits, but not necessarily the Interstates themselves. I've seen some multi-lane, divided, limited access roads that were built like Interstates, and effectively functioned AS Interstates, but had ridicilously low limits like 35 or 40. They could easily be bumped to 55 or 60, at least on some stretches, with no problem.

As far as the Interstates themselves go, some stretches in states like North Dakota, Montana, Kansas, etc....that have flat, arrow-straight, uncluttered stretches for miles, maybe (?) they could use some higher limits......but 75-80 is already pretty good as it is. But, to have an 80 MPH limit on the Interstate 495 Beltway here in the D.C. area, or around NYC, or even Los Angeles, especially during rush hour, would be insane.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-27-09 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-27-09, 07:30 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets see, if you are legally not allowed to go over 80, but have the capability of doing so, then the only purpose of allowing the ability of going those speeds is to bank on the assumption people will break the law, and the government will generate revenue.

Sorry, I don't buy the safety thing for a second. You want to make it safe, there are plenty more ways to do that then to set arbitrarily low speed limits. A limiter is not one of them. Many cars already have them inplace anyway, just at higher speeds that folks shouldn't be exercising on public roads anyway .
My thoughts exactly.
Old 10-27-09, 07:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Putting a limiter in the car that does not physically allow the car to go above posted speed limits would be considered a breach of rights and freedoms, most likely.
I agree with you that limiters are not a good idea, but not for the reasons you mention. In all 50 states, driving, legally, is a priviledge and not a right.

But, I am opposed to the idea of limiters for other reasons. To have them, in some circumstances, would actually impede safety. A classic example is on a two-lane road where you are trying to pass a large vehicle, are in the oncoming-traffic lane with cars coming towards you, and need a quick burst of speed to safely pass the vehicle and tuck back in your lane to avoid a head-on. Head-on-collisions on two-lane roads are a major cause of traffic fatalities.....they are one of the most dangerous types of accidents one can have.
Old 10-27-09, 07:44 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

^Make it a non blind 'smart' limiter. Have a sensor, laser if you may, infront of the car that if you were attempting to pass someone, the limiter would normally let you go 10mph over posted limit, but if you need to pass and you reach that 10, and someone is coming head on to you, the limiter would temporarily shut off until you get back to your lane. This is all within the realm of possibility and personally I think it would reduce the need for cops sitting on the sides of the road, and speed traps in general which can cause accidents too.
Old 10-27-09, 08:07 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Appropriate speeds for conditions is always the rule, as practiced by good drivers. And open dry highways with very little traffic in the daytime, speeds in the West are often in the 80-85mph. Today in Central CA returning from Lake Tahoe, I rolled by a CHP car sitting with KA radar on at 80mph, no problem.
Old 10-27-09, 08:13 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

^Make it a non blind 'smart' limiter. Have a sensor, laser if you may, infront of the car that if you were attempting to pass someone, the limiter would normally let you go 10mph over posted limit, but if you need to pass and you reach that 10, and someone is coming head on to you, the limiter would temporarily shut off until you get back to your lane. This is all within the realm of possibility and personally I think it would reduce the need for cops sitting on the sides of the road, and speed traps in general which can cause accidents too.
That would be far too complicated for mass production in mass-volume, low-end vehicles. It would make them outrageously expensive.
Old 10-27-09, 08:22 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

That would be far too complicated for mass production in mass-volume, low-end vehicles. It would make them outrageously expensive.
As with all new techs, I feel it would be best to implement them onto high end vehicles first. Test how they work there as a 'safety' feature. If it turned out positive results, then producing them more efficiently and at greater volume would do just the opposite and reduce costs. When you mass produce, that generally drives costs down . Basic economics.
Old 10-27-09, 08:24 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

As with all new techs, I feel it would be best to implement them onto high end vehicles first. Test how they work there as a 'safety' feature. If it turned out positive results, then producing them more efficiently and at greater volume would do just the opposite and reduce costs. When you mass produce, that generally drives costs down . Basic economics.
But then who would buy a car equipped with such a device..?
Old 10-27-09, 08:30 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

But then who would buy a car equipped with such a device..?
Oh yee of little faith, where did seat belts originate, where did TCS originate, ABS, where did airbags come from? They weren't standard on all cars, TCS still isn't, but I believe with due time, that will eventually change. My point, all safety techs originated in higher end vehicles and slowly trickled their way down to the everyday car. Who would buy it? The father who wants to make sure his spoiled daughter doesn't go speeding around in her new Mercedes, folks who generally don't want to be tempted to go higher speeds because knowing they can't will help relieve them of that temptation.

Honestly, if implemented correctly, I could only see good coming from this tech, maybe you'll have your quirks here or there, but with all the other safety tech, this one doesn't seem to unfeasable, and will actually help reduce unwarranted speeding, with respect to the location.
Old 10-27-09, 08:30 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SoCal's speeds need to be upped. I put myself at cruise control at 73 and still had people passing me from the slow lane -.-"
Old 10-27-09, 08:49 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Guys, I once had a tire blow out at 85 mph, on an interstate. It literally shred into pieces. Luckily I was able not to lose control of the car, and was able to slow down and pull to the shoulder safely. Had I been going any faster, I could've lost control of the car, and I don't even wanna think about what would happen, there were two 18 wheelers right behind me.

So while everything is well, 85mph is a reasonable speed, but if something goes wrong, accidents at these speeds car be horrendous.

I personally try not to speed, but unfortunately sometimes you almost have to. Most interstates around here have 65mph posted speed limit, and its 55mph for trucks. Yet the trucks don't seem to give a care about these speed limits and just drive at their full speed, which is 68mph. And being stuck behind an 18 wheeler, especially in bad weather with the water/show flying from his tires onto your windshield and in dry weather sand from their tires sandblasting your car is just scary. And if you try to slow down, they will pull behind you, blind you with their headlights, tailgate you, and start passing you. So you pretty much have no choice but drive over the limit, and I try not to exceed 75mph.
Old 10-27-09, 11:41 PM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

This article is pure and simple vindication for what I've been saying for years.
Old 10-28-09, 03:38 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
CA needs to raise speed limits on some freeways to 80 as well! (ie -280)
I got clocked traveling 87 in a 65 in San Mateo- luckily the trooper was nice enough to mark it down to an 80+. It was 9:30 PM, there were very few cars on the freeway, and I felt that my speed was reasonable for the given conditions (light traffic, long stretch of straight road).

I really need a radar detector.
Old 10-28-09, 06:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by felixsc300
I got clocked traveling 87 in a 65 in San Mateo- luckily the trooper was nice enough to mark it down to an 80+. It was 9:30 PM, there were very few cars on the freeway, and I felt that my speed was reasonable for the given conditions (light traffic, long stretch of straight road).

I really need a radar detector.
What you need is a lighter right foot. Even radar detectors won't help with instant-on radar......there, they got you.

Quick Reply: REPORT: Utah DoT admits higher speed limits has worked out to less speeding