Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

REPORT: Utah DoT admits higher speed limits has worked out to less speeding

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 03:43 PM
LexFather

Post REPORT: Utah DoT admits higher speed limits has worked out to less speeding

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/27/r...ked-out-to-le/

When the Utah DOT raised the speed limit on two pieces of I-15 from 75 mph to 80 mph, it discovered that driving habits didn't change. When the limit was 75 mph, the Utah DoT found that drivers were going between 81 and 85 mph. And now that the maximum limit is 80 mph, it has found that drivers are going between 83 and 85 mph.

You can look at that as less speeding, as the UDoT has, or simply the fact that people didn't automatically start going 10 mph over the limit, having found a speed that satisfies 85% of them. This shouldn't be that surprising – even when Montana had stretches of highway with unlimited speeds, it was only a few folks, mostly out-of-staters, that raced at max velocity. And most folks on unlimited sections of the Autobahn aren't even going 150 mph.

According to the Deseret News, a UDoT official said that accidents haven't increased, either, nor did they expect an increase in fender benders. What he said has increased, though, is speed differential, which we don't quite understand. Apparently, the difference between the fastest and slowest vehicles has widened. We can only imagine he was speaking of the 2 mph difference between the slightly higher lower average speed of 83 mph vs the 81 mph from before. Even though one Utah legislator wasn't happy about the increased limit, saying speed kills, the proof appears to be... well, not necessarily.

Old 10-27-09, 04:13 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't surprised if California went the other way on this went going with a lowered speed limit to they could give more tickets and thus finding another way to make some money... haha

Glad this seemed to "work" in Utah though! Not being familiar with the area though, how much traffic does I-15 get? Is it similar to I-5?
Old 10-27-09, 04:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You can look at that as less speeding, as the UDoT has, or simply the fact that people didn't automatically start going 10 mph over the limit, having found a speed that satisfies 85% of them.
The problem is that many people, though maybe driving at a speed that "satisfies" them, may in fact be driving too fast for conditions, especially on wet/slippery roads. I see this constantly; day in and day out. Many drivers today have little, if any, concept, of the laws of physics or the limitations of their vehicles and tires.

Utah, however, is a state with generally dry climate, especially at lower elevations, so wet/slippery roads are not often an issue.

nor did they expect an increase in fender benders.
Duh. I guess not. You don't have "fender-benders" at 75-80 MPH.
Old 10-27-09, 04:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

^^Never heard of the Wasatch mountains or Park City? OK...I guess Utah is "generally dry" but wet/slippery roads are common there in the mountains. I don't know if you've driven I-15 or I-80 through Utah, but I have a number of times and I definitely wouldn't make this comment about Utah roads.
Old 10-27-09, 04:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
^^Never heard of the Wasatch mountains or Park City? OK...I guess Utah is "generally dry" but wet/slippery roads are common there in the mountains.
If you did not notice it, I mentioned, in my post, that the dry climate was mostly in the lower elevations.

Even with high-quality rain/snow tires like the Rain-X or Blizzak, depending on the water depth and tire condition, hydroplaning can start as low as 55-60 MPH....even less in some cases. 75-80 just doesn't cut it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-27-09 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-27-09, 05:12 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How I wish they'd raise the speed limit on most of the highways here in Michigan to 80.
Old 10-27-09, 05:28 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

CA needs to raise speed limits on some freeways to 80 as well! (ie -280)
Old 10-27-09, 05:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you did not notice it, I mentioned, in my post, that the dry climate was mostly in the lower elevations.

Even with high-quality rain/snow tires like the Rain-X or Blizzak, depending on the water depth and tire condition, hydroplaning can start as low as 55-60 MPH....even less in some cases. 75-80 just doesn't cut it.
Right. That's a driver training problem, not a speed limit problem. Mike, for some reason I always think of George Carlin when I see your posts on the speed people drive:

Originally Posted by George Carlin
“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”
And I know you're driving the speed limit or slightly below.
Old 10-27-09, 06:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I usually cruise at 15 mph over the limit. So when I am in the desert I am cruising at 85-90 mph and all is well. When I am in the city I do chill it out a bit
Old 10-27-09, 06:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Right. That's a driver training problem, not a speed limit problem.
I partially agree, but, no matter the level of training one has, it can't overrule the laws of physics. Traffic enginners, don't forget, often set speed limits based on what they have determine is safe for that stretch of roadway, though I do agree with you that there are indeed stretches of road that can safely handle a higher limit.......I've seen a number of them myself.

Mike, for some reason I always think of George Carlin when I see your posts on the speed people drive:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
“Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”
LOL

No, I don't quite think that way. Lots of people drive slower than me, and lots drive faster. I don't really get excited about it either way. I get more nervous around people who do really distracting things things like texting/cell-phone use, etc....while driving.

And I know you're driving the speed limit or slightly below.
No, not so. I'm not Grandma. I sometimes do over the posted limit...but within reason. I'm not a classic speeder.

Also, here in the D.C. area, in D.C. and the MD suburbs, you have speed cameras as well as red-light cameras (the VA suburbs have some red-light camers, but not for speed). The speed camera usually don't zap you unless you are doing 10-11 MPH over.....they have a built-in margin. I am especially careful around the speed cameras......I know where many of them are.

And, don't forget, I also review new cars. While I don't go to extremes in accleration/braking/handling, or tear the cars up, you obviously can't get an accurate review driving like Grandma.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-27-09 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-27-09, 07:00 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh really? Just look at the Autobahn. There is no speed limit, and most if not all deadly accidents that occur are because of those not going FAST ENOUGH.
Old 10-27-09, 07:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Oh really? Just look at the Autobahn. There is no speed limit, and most if not all deadly accidents that occur are because of those not going FAST ENOUGH.
Depends on the circumstances. Though I've never actually seen it happen in person, I've seen videos of what happens to cars going out of control on the Autobahn at 150 MPH. One guy must have flipped over 30 or 40 times.

The trend in Europe, BTW, not just in Germany, but in France, too, is towards lower limits. Even on the Autobahn, the sections of roadway with unregulated speed are steadily shrinking.
Old 10-27-09, 07:09 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Depends on the circumstances. Though I've never actually seen it happen in person, I've seen videos of what happens to cars going out of control on the Autobahn at 150 MPH. One guy must have flipped over 30 or 40 times.
The frequency at which accidents such as these happen are not very frequent, having lived in France and Germany, and experienced the Autobahn first hand.
Old 10-27-09, 07:21 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Gotta say I agree here, bump those limits up. You want a national limit, put a limiter in the car that doesn't let it go above 80. Done deal, make highway speeds 75mph. People want to go that fast that's fine, they want to go 80, heck that's fine. They get caught going over? Uh oh, TICKET. Cars of today are not like cars of yesteryear. Todays vehicles are designed to be able to excel at over 100mph, granted your car is in proper condition with good tires.

Plus Mike, I'm going to have to disagree with you on the point of safe limits by engineers. There are plenty of roadways here where 65 is just pathetic. I go 65-68 for gas mileage purposes, but everyone flies by me at 70-80+ and they are holding the road just fine, no swerving, nothing of the sort. Wet and Ice weather dictate common sense, if you are stupid enough to speed and act the fool in those conditions, you're asking for an accident, whether going 80 or 65.
Old 10-27-09, 07:23 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Putting a limiter in the car that does not physically allow the car to go above posted speed limits would be considered a breach of rights and freedoms, most likely.

Quick Reply: REPORT: Utah DoT admits higher speed limits has worked out to less speeding