Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Remember the Starion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-09, 06:21 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remember the Starion?

Just thought some of you might like to see a Starion tearing it up.

Basically a friend who also is a trained driver doing low speed Rockfords..in a Starion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWIRQ_38mNs

another one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nws8s...e=channel_page
Old 07-19-09, 06:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I remember it well. The Starion was a Mitsubishi-designed sport-coupe of the 1980's that Plymouth/Dodge/Chrysler also sold, in a rebadged version, as the Conquest. I don't specifically remember test-driving one, though. Dodge also had, in addition to the Conquest, a domestically-designed coupe called the Daytona, but it was a different car.
Old 07-19-09, 06:54 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's right. I've owned a few of each. The Starion is a much better car to drive, imo.
Old 07-19-09, 07:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I rememer in the days when Japanese cars had skinny *** tires that thing look mean with its agressive fender lines and huge tires
Old 07-19-09, 09:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember them, that should date me.
Old 07-19-09, 10:22 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 87 Conquest Tsi - 5-spd turbo 2.4L 4-cyl. Really liked that car, until it had to go in the shop multiple times for the fuel injection system. That was my 1st sports car. Shoulda kept it and did a motor swap.
Old 07-24-09, 12:13 AM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

I bought a brand new Conquest Tsi in 1988 so I'm certainly dated, very cool car for a 21 year old, nothing on the street (within reason) could match the look of the flared body and staggered wheels, the Conquest had an optional suspension package not offered on the Starion, 10 way adjustable damping on the struts and wider wheels and tires, 8 and 9 inch vs. 7 and 8 inch on the Starion, still have the window sticker somewhere, when I think back on some stunts that were pulled in that car I'm lucky to be here, big fun.
Old 07-24-09, 12:32 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

My neighbor down the street had a Starion when I was growing up. He was always the "cool" one that no one knew much about.
Didn't those things start the digital dash craze?
Old 07-24-09, 12:32 AM
REV-01
Lexus Champion

i had a 1987 black on black starion esi-r during my college years. i made it super cherry with 83 hood and 88 one piece front lip alot of new oem parts and brand new paint job.....eibach springs with tokico blues plus hks turbo exhaust.
Old 07-24-09, 12:34 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

I own a Conquest and had more fun in that car, than any other car I've owned. It has the best heel and toe you could ask for, and more torque than any other car in its class hands down.

I am selling her because I have no more room for her. I was even featured in a Japanese magazine when they came and were discovering the American touge scene.
Old 07-24-09, 05:50 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've always loved those cars, what a performer and looker considering what else was available in the early 80's!
Old 07-24-09, 11:55 AM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

The widebody showed up in '86, and was king of the hill against all foes!
Old 07-24-09, 09:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by emoshun
I own a Conquest and had more fun in that car, than any other car I've owned. It has the best heel and toe you could ask for, and more torque than any other car in its class hands down.

I am selling her because I have no more room for her. I was even featured in a Japanese magazine when they came and were discovering the American touge scene.
Pretty cool, thanks for sharing!

Old 07-24-09, 09:35 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty
Senior Moderator

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Indio
the Conquest had an optional suspension package not offered on the Starion, 10 way adjustable damping on the struts and wider wheels and tires, 8 and 9 inch vs. 7 and 8 inch on the Starion,
I owned a 1988 Starion ESiR with the MacPherson adjustable struts...and the 9" rear tires. It wasn't just the Conquests that had that option. I will scan and post pics of it later. It was in 93'-96' when I owned it so I have nothing digital.

I cracked the exhaust side of the first turbo. I blasted through a puddle after racing a IROC-Z. Water splashed up and in. At that time the only tuner was Top End...I swear I called that guy a hundred times owning that car. Got a 16G snail for replacement and it all went down hill. Dumped almost $9k into that car...Remember this was in 1994, that was a ton of cash back then.

When it was all said and done. I was putting 340hp and 338lbsTQ at the rears. Mid 12sec 1/4 all day on pump gas and street tires...Back before everyone was reading Turbo Magazine...before The Fast and the Furious.

Mentioned above was the infamous injector hiccup. I think I replaced those clips like 8 times before I got new injectors and a modded plenum/body.

I would buy that car over again in a heartbeat now.
Old 07-25-09, 12:24 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I preferred the Conquest TSI over the Starion. Between the 2 of them the Conquest was, asthetically, soooo much more desireable to look at.

Didn't those things start the digital dash craze?
I actually thought it was one of the earlier model Chevy Cavalier Z24's which actually kicked off the digital dash craze. I remember that my Uncle had one of them back in 1985 and I loved his car b/c of the digi-dash. I do remember that the digi-dash as well as a throaty exhaust made this car quite a hit back in the day.

Last edited by trukn1; 07-25-09 at 12:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Remember the Starion?