Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New E-Class Commercials

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-09, 03:48 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PAULGS430
Y2K GS4-platinum edition Silver/blk ,01GS3 White/beige,02GS430,02BMW M3 convt. Silver/blk w/blk top,01 Range Rover Silver/blk 2-tone piping,
02 MB S-500 Sport package blk/blk. - mine - too many to list
02 MB S-500 Sport package Blk.Beige amg wheels - dad - still has his & can't wait to switch. He still likes MB thinking about new E-550.
03 MB S-500 Blk/Beige - uncle - regrets getting MB
05 MB C-class Blk/beige - friend - she says never again.

Bit - My experience was nothing but endless problems. MB sucks in reliability. The new 09 MB-550,BMW etc. look like real good choices compared to what the Lexus GS have right now. I still like the styling & design of the MB e550 & S-class. I wouldn''t get 1 from my exp.My experience tells me NO!
I had 3 GS before that were modded to the bone. The current 3rd gen. is weak & under powered.

2000-2005 was a dark time for Benz. Most people know that.

wait 2 more years and see how the 2007+ models fared
Old 07-12-09, 03:56 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not just MB...all the Germans
Old 07-12-09, 09:08 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Revised...

Originally Posted by YARIS!
There are certainly cases where lower models may contain some new tech not found in the company's flagship but to call the E more advanced [overall] than the S is pretty ridiculous. It's not like the S is at the end of a 5 or 6 year life cycle either, it came out in 2007. And as it is, it packs more technology than any car ever created alongside the LS600hL and 760iL. And it's not just tech features, it's the whole package we're talking about.

It's just a bad move in advertising to crap on your own flagship that is known as the standard of the world.
Not ridiculous, it's FACT (until 2010 S-Class) current 09 S550 really doesn't have more "Tech" the 2010 E550 already have, so this statement is true.

E550 over S550
PARKTRONIC with Parking Guidance
Blind Spot Assist
Lane Keeping Assist
40GB hard-drive navigation with reviews from Zagat
Enhanced voice control
6GB Music Register
Adaptive Highbeam Assist
LED Daytime Running Lights
HOLD braking function
ATTENTION ASSIST driver drowsiness monitor
Enhanced efficiency
11-way protection w/ 9 airbags
Night View Assist PLUS with pedestrian detection
DISTRONIC PLUS with PRE-SAFE® Brake system
Dolby Digital 5.1, 610 watts
Gracenote® media database
Rear-seat entertainment system
Split-folding rear seats
HD Digital Radio®
0-60mph 5.2 sec vs 5.4 sec
16/24mpg vs 14/22mpg
Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicles / PZEV (SULEV vs. ULEV)

S550 over E550
Electronic Parking Brake
Active Body Control (THIS IS AWESOME FEATURE)
Multilink suspension
Rear Seat Package
8" color-LCD widescreen
Power rear side window shades
Noise-reducing and infrared-reflecting glass
Airmatic Semi-Active Air Suspension with Adaptive Damping System (ADSII)

So yes the 2010 E-Class is CURRENTLY the most advanced car Mercedes is offering...

Last edited by KILLERGS4; 07-13-09 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-13-09, 04:02 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
Not ridiculous, it's FACT (until 2010 S-Class) current 09 S550 really doesn't have more "Tech" the 2010 E550 already have, so this statement is true.

E550 over S550
PARKTRONIC with Parking Guidance
Blind Spot Assist
Lane Keeping Assist
40GB hard-drive navigation with reviews from Zagat
Enhanced voice control
6GB Music Register
Adaptive Highbeam Assist
LED Daytime Running Lights
HOLD braking function
ATTENTION ASSIST driver drowsiness monitor
Enhanced efficiency

S550 over E550
10 airbags vs 9 in E
Electronic Parking Brake
PRE-SAFE
Active Body Control (THIS IS AWESOME FEATURE)
Multilink suspension
Rear Seat Package

So yes the 2010 E-Class is CURRENTLY the most advanced car Mercedes is offering...
Like I said earlier, it's not the tech features that necessarily make a car more advanced than another, it's the whole package. If the E is more advanced overall, why is the S-class $40,000 more than the E (nearly twice as much)?

I guess the S is grossly overpriced?
Old 07-13-09, 07:54 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As nice as the new E is, I'm guessing the E will never be the top selling Benz in the US again.
Old 07-13-09, 08:11 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Like I said earlier, it's not the tech features that necessarily make a car more advanced than another, it's the whole package. If the E is more advanced overall, why is the S-class $40,000 more than the E (nearly twice as much)?

A man on the computer that has no plans on buying a car like that is angry!! What will mercedes ever do .

Listen up people. Mercedes is changing the playing field just like lexus did 20 years ago. Most of you die hard lexus are paying more and more attention to the star because lexus has gotten repetative. Within the last few years MB has drastly improoved the quality in the car, the reliability, the tech and now with the new e class they added a lot of value. Mercede's wants to be numero uno by a long shot. Thats why they have new hybrid powertrains coming out (s400h and ML450h) and what I consider many class leading model's. Many of you may still be die hard lexus fans thats great enjoy what you like but dont hate try and apreciate and with the cars that mercedes is producing and the rate of improovment to theyre product line the name will mean prestige soon
Old 07-13-09, 08:25 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

price difference 2010 E550 vs 2009 S550 is bout 33k (which is still a lot), but you're paying that for smoothness in ride (due to large car ride) and more space and more prestige, better design elements (more money invested on design team), but IMO 2010 E-Class is still the MOST advanced wither you like it or not... It's not only Techy crap that constitute "most advanced" but it is a huge factor.

For example.. you are looking at two Sony DVD players, one has bunch more features than the other, but the other DVD player is slimmer (more desirable due to slim design), however the most advanced DVD player would still go to the DVD player with bunch more features. This is my reasoning..

E550 drag coefficient .25
S550 drag coefficient .27
another win for E-class

Last edited by KILLERGS4; 07-13-09 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-13-09, 08:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bad co
A man on the computer that has no plans on buying a car like that is angry!! What will mercedes ever do .

Listen up people. Mercedes is changing the playing field just like lexus did 20 years ago. Most of you die hard lexus are paying more and more attention to the star because lexus has gotten repetative. Within the last few years MB has drastly improoved the quality in the car, the reliability, the tech and now with the new e class they added a lot of value. Mercede's wants to be numero uno by a long shot. Thats why they have new hybrid powertrains coming out (s400h and ML450h) and what I consider many class leading model's. Many of you may still be die hard lexus fans thats great enjoy what you like but dont hate try and apreciate and with the cars that mercedes is producing and the rate of improovment to theyre product line the name will mean prestige soon
I find it odd you call Lexus repetitive and then mention the Mercedes hybrids which FOLLOWED the class leading Lexus hybrids.

I can't understand the rest of what you said but clearly we respect Benz here so please don't try to imply we don't.

Its a great win for consumers that Benz quality is up.

Old 07-13-09, 09:37 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

E550 drag coefficient .25
S550 drag coefficient .27
another win for E-class
All the Drag coefficient stats from the E class are complete lies. all lies (i am referring to the coupe being more aerodynamic than the prius claims with the .24)

MB website states:
E550/350: .27
E550/350 Coupe: .28
S550: .26

p.s. the E class gets pre-safe
Old 07-13-09, 10:35 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
All the Drag coefficient stats from the E class are complete lies. all lies (i am referring to the coupe being more aerodynamic than the prius claims with the .24)
Prove it...

(MB Website stats for 0-60mph is also modest)

Last edited by KILLERGS4; 07-13-09 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-13-09, 11:55 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i thought i just proved it...with what MBUSA gives out as specs. Why would they make their Cd higher than it really is? dont you think it would be a huge accomplishment for the E class coupe to have .24 drag, thereby being the most aerodynamic mass produced car in the world?

i think they would have included that on their website if it were true. Although they might be able to achieve this with their blue efficiency line in europe, but not in the US
Old 07-14-09, 12:01 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

C&D and M&T got 4.8 sec 0-60mph on 2007 E550, but mbusa.com still posted 5.4 secs...
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...nz_e550_page_3
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...fications.html

Last edited by KILLERGS4; 07-14-09 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-14-09, 07:38 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Part of what is included in the price tag of an S class is probably the name.

You're buying an "S class" from Mercedes. Enough said.
Old 07-14-09, 07:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

C&D and M&T got 4.8 sec 0-60mph on 2007 E550, but mbusa.com still posted 5.4 secs...
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...nz_e550_page_3
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...fications.html
I don't care for the slight difference in Cd, no one will really decide whether they are impressed with the car based on that, but what's your point in listing those 0-60 times when talking about Cd ?
0-60 times will vary depend on the atmospheric conditions/altitude, different drivers, etc., but I haven't heard you can have different Cd numbers listed for a car, the magazines, etc., never test those ...

Last edited by Gojirra99; 07-14-09 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-14-09, 10:44 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I find it odd you call Lexus repetitive and then mention the Mercedes hybrids which FOLLOWED the class leading Lexus hybrids.

I can't understand the rest of what you said but clearly we respect Benz here so please don't try to imply we don't.

Its a great win for consumers that Benz quality is up.
Sorry my english is not the best it's a second language for me. I will try to make my posts easier to understand.

Quick Reply: New E-Class Commercials