Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Not Very Good For Range Rover Sales

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-09, 08:16 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Amini9
It used to be owned by Ford. I'm saying that BMW is more reliable then Ford (back then). We also were talking about reliability, not about how many mpg a car can get, or how nice sounding an engine is...

I also said that they don't put much care into their other companies that they own (jaguar is one for example) compared to the care they put into their own company.
Ford's reliability is comparable to toyota and honda. If the LR wasnt a first class car and had bad materials and loooked and felt like poop it wouldent sell. The 4.0L Supercharged engine is BMW design and the rest of the engineering is done by the british.
Old 06-04-09, 10:06 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

but, but .. it has soul.
Old 06-04-09, 10:28 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

hilarious.....
Old 06-04-09, 02:13 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Well, the problem here is that the guy bought a Rover Sport, which really isn't a Range Rover at all. Range Rover Sport is a Discovery in Range Rover Classic clothing.

I'd say it's likely the guy wouldn't pay more to the the true Range Rover (which stands up very well) but wanted to thrash on the Sport in a way it wasn't built to handle.

The Disco is very much the truck that will get you there, no matter where 'there' is. The Range Rover (Classic) will get you there in the best way possible with little to no issue. The Rover Sport is for all those people who wont pay for what they actually want.

In short: I bet buddy acted stupidly and didn't want to own up to his mistakes.
Old 06-04-09, 02:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Mark Foster of Jaguar Land Rover said: ‘Land Rover operates a comprehensive warranty programme and a strong goodwill policy.

All necessary repairs to this vehicle over 42,000 miles have been carried out under warranty.
But......were the repairs CORRECTLY done? I've seen some shops where it literally took months just to get a simple tire mount/balance done right, with no shimmy.

'However, we are disappointed this customer’s experience has been unfortunate and as such we have made a goodwill offer towards helping him into a new vehicle.’

So........He simply exchanges one lemon for another? That makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? Land Rovers, to be honest, are superb vehicles off-road, but there is a reason why they rank, year after year, at the very bottom of Consumer Reports' reliability list.
Old 06-04-09, 09:47 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
i know what you're talkin about

from http://www.forum307.com/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0
Wtf? Translation please?

As for the Range Rover issue, I bet he didn't look at the Consumer Reports reliability rating before he wrote that check.
Old 06-04-09, 11:13 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

lol the dealership deserves all the bad press it can get.

i feel bad how a lot of ppl say so much crap about the car (specific model) or the manufacturer for being so unreliable and never really stay on focus with the fact that this is a problem the dude is having with his dealership.

there are so many bad dealerships out there and I think they don't get enough press.

they should be shut down or have their staff/owner(s) replaced.

shame on that dealership and all other crappy dealerships.

Yea you Lexus of Bay Ridge.
Old 06-04-09, 11:17 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

actually Range Rover Classics are fairly good in reliability
its the rest of the Land Rover family that are terrible

ie. Range Rover Sport (based on the LR3 chassis apparently)
Old 06-05-09, 07:25 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Range Rover have tons of problems in terms of reliablility. But, the dealership said after checking out this car,(45,000 km driven car) it looked liked it suffered from serious front end suspension impact ( Hitting a curb ) real hard. I believe the dealership in this case. RR is trying everything to fix this suspension including trying to get into a new car.

Friend bought an 08, nice & posh, been to the shop 2x lil things. Wifey loves it (status thing) he only likes it lil bit. Would never get another one!

Last edited by PAULGS430; 06-05-09 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-05-09, 10:25 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^^ Which RR was it? B/c RR was owned by BMW at some point. They made the current Range Rover. In Top Gear mag in April, one of the editors say its the best riding BMW b/c its not honed at the "Ring"
The ROVER group was once part of the PREMIER AUTOMOTIVE GROUP, which included Aston Martin and Jaguar, etc. The PAG is a Ford division which oversees operations of Volvo as well. BMW bought into ownership of the entire ROVER group in 1994. In 2000 BMW made a conscious decision to break up the ROVER group and sold LAND ROVER to FORD. Ford anounced in 2006 that it was dissolving the PAG with the sale of LAND ROVER as well as JAGUAR to Tata Motors. Sale was finalized to Tata Motors, for LAND ROVER and JAGUAR in June of 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover
Old 06-05-09, 10:53 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Those range rover dealer treats you nice when you are buying the car, once you own it, the Land Rover brand itself has terrible customer service.
Old 06-05-09, 10:57 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Now that Tata owns those brands.. does that mean they are gonna let quality and stuff fall?
Old 06-05-09, 03:37 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lex
Now that Tata owns those brands.. does that mean they are gonna let quality and stuff fall?
Possibly it could get a little better, which isn't saying much.
Old 06-07-09, 03:20 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by felixsc300
Wtf? Translation please?

As for the Range Rover issue, I bet he didn't look at the Consumer Reports reliability rating before he wrote that check.
Basically the piece of paper on the SL said the owner spent an exorbant amount of money and the car still doesn't run. Pasted all over the windshield are the repair bills as well as the original bill of sale (apparently he got 8000 Euros off the MSRP but it still cost 109,000 Euros)
Old 06-08-09, 09:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

same with the ML. the owner got so mad he put the car there and all the braces around so mb couldn't tow take them away or something. i remember reading it a while ago, it was funny

Quick Reply: Not Very Good For Range Rover Sales