Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chris Bangle resigns from BMW

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-09, 06:58 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Chris Bangle resigns from BMW

BMW Says Van Hooydonk Replacing Bangle As Design Chief

FRANKFURT -(Dow Jones)- BMW AG (BMW.XE) said Tuesday that its design chief Christopher E. Bangle is resigning and will be replaced by the current head of BMW automobile design, Adrian van Hooydonk, with immediate effect.

"Christopher Bangle has had a lasting impact on the identity of BMW Group's brands. His contribution to the company's success has been decisive, and together with his teams he has mapped out a clear and aesthetic route into the future," said BMW executive board member Klaus Draeger in a statement.

BMW said Bangle's plan to "pursue his own design-related endeavors beyond the auto industry marks the start of a new phase in his life while maintaining strong ties with the BMW Group".

In his new position, van Hooydonk will be responsible for design development for the company's BMW, Rolls-Royce and Mini brands.

Among other cars and concepts, van Hooydonk's team has been responsible for the designs of the revamped BMW 7 Series and the new version of the Z4 as well as for the so-called Concept Progressive Activity Sedan, which is due to be presented at the Geneva auto show in March.

Bangle, 52-years-old, has been in charge of BMW group's design since Oct. 1992. He was the driving force behind designs for the core BMW 1, 3, 5 and 7 series as well as the Munich-based company's roadsters and sports-utility-vehicles. Some of his characteristic designs such as the Z4 roadster sparked controversy among BMW enthusiasts. However, several of his design features are regarded as highly influential as they were later adapted by other car makers.

http://www.dowjones.de/site/2009/02/...ign-chief.html
Old 02-03-09, 07:02 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I just read it. Shocking news though I would like to see where BMW goes from here.
Old 02-03-09, 07:05 AM
JKA.nyc
Pole Position

Hopefully not the same direction as Mercedes.
Old 02-03-09, 07:24 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

I wonder if the word "resign" has the same undertones in Germany as it does in the U.S. Because that article sure sounds like double-speak for saying he got fired.
Old 02-03-09, 07:26 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe he'll be designing characters for a possible Simpsons spin-off...

Buh bye..... ahhh, buh bye....
Old 02-03-09, 07:28 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe he'll be designing characters for a possible Simpsons spin-off...:
Agreed, they can do better.
Old 02-03-09, 07:48 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I had no idea that Bangle worked with BMW since 1992. He got so much heat when the new 7 series was released and all of that publicity made it seem like he was some stand in mad man put at the helm who was going to run BMW design into the ground.

If he has worked with the company for the last ~15 years then let's not forget that he probably had a hand in designing some of BMWs most beautiful cars- old 3, 5, and 7(late 90s-00 740i) are all classic and beautiful designs even by today's standards. Even with the current generation the 3 coupe and X5 are some of the best looking cars in their segments.

Bangle gets a bad reputation and while he has done some controversial work he has also had a part in some of their most beautiful vehicles. If nothing else, he has been a design icon and influence for the entire industry.

As for the new guy- the new Z4 and 7 are great looking cars so I am not too worried about the future. I just think the "thank god Bangle is gone" comments might be a little short sighted.
Old 02-03-09, 07:57 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Ever since the E30 (I used to own a 90 325ic), it's often tough for me to tell certain model years from one year to the next. In some ways (like Porsche) it keeps a look timeless, but in other cases it would make me feel that in buying a new BMW, I wouldn't be much different from those who bought a Bimmer a few years ago. Hopefully, some good comes from his departure.
Old 02-03-09, 08:03 AM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by GFerg
BMW Says Van Hooydonk Replacing Bangle As Design Chief

http://www.dowjones.de/site/2009/02/...ign-chief.html
FINALLY MY PRAYERS TO THE CAR GODS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED. NOW FIRE VAN HOOD CAN'T DRAW Too!!!!

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I had no idea that Bangle worked with BMW since 1992. He got so much heat when the new 7 series was released and all of that publicity made it seem like he was some stand in mad man put at the helm who was going to run BMW design into the ground.

If he has worked with the company for the last ~15 years then let's not forget that he probably had a hand in designing some of BMWs most beautiful cars- old 3, 5, and 7(late 90s-00 740i) are all classic and beautiful designs even by today's standards. Even with the current generation the 3 coupe and X5 are some of the best looking cars in their segments.

Bangle gets a bad reputation and while he has done some controversial work he has also had a part in some of their most beautiful vehicles. If nothing else, he has been a design icon and influence for the entire industry.

As for the new guy- the new Z4 and 7 are great looking cars so I am not too worried about the future. I just think the "thank god Bangle is gone" comments might be a little short sighted.
Here's a history lesson Bangle had been there since 1992. I forgot the lead designers name at the time but clearly he was the one behind the iconic E34, E30s etc etc, down to the influence of the E39 etc.

Well ther were rumblings inside BMW that the 1 shape, 3 size way was old and tired. Especially when Lexus and others came along with all different designs and they all sold well. Some people wanted a change but the BMW "old guard" wasn't having it.

Then the craziest thing happened. The lead designer MURDERED his son!!! Not sure the entire story but he did and of course ended up in prison. This left the door WIDE OPEN for Bangle and those that wanted design change.

His first car was the refresh to the 3 series coupe/sedan. You can tell he had an unsteady hand or was always drunk b/c the refresh just complicated matters. He made the front end very busy (remember those triangle sides in the bumper) but made the sides more plain. The rest is history. Now people say "well BMW sold better" but hell the produced more of everything. We also know their sales tactics were not exactly the greatest. BMW went from selling, 3/5/7 to 1/3/5/6/7 X3/X5 Z3/Z4 etc etc. OF COURSE they sold better, the product lineup expanded!!

That said even if I think they all like like absolute dog poo, its clear it did get BMW out the one shape, 3 size way they always had. You can also say they influenced other brands. A lot of people really love the designs (I think they are just as drunk as BMW designers)

Truth be told, Bangle didn't do anything much new. He basically took Ford "new Edge" design, added bigger BMW grills and called it a day. He had the luxury of designing for BMW, where its proven people would buy a horse carriage if it had a roundel on it.

If he did this design for any other brand,
I wonder what the results would have been. My guess is he would have been laughed at, put on a rocket and sent into deep space.

Old 02-03-09, 08:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I can remember the old E30 M3 (I loved that vehicle) with its unique sides and really that set it apart from the regular E30. But after Bangle got in there, everyone and their mother was putting an M on the back of their 3-series and I often had to look a bit closer.
Old 02-03-09, 08:23 AM
LexFather

E31 8 Series: Klaus Kapitza (Munich)

E36: Joji Nagashima (Munich)

E38: Boyke Boyer (Munich)

E36/7 (Z3 Roadster): Joji Nashima (Munich)

E39: Joji Nagashima (Munich)

E36/7 (Z3 Coupe): Chris Bangle (DesignworksUSA) - First Project

E46: Chris Bangle/Erik Goplen (DesignworksUSA)

E52 (Z8): Henrik Fisker (DesignworksUSA)

E53 X5: Chris Chapman/Chris Bangle (DesignworksUSA)

E60/61: David Arcangeli (DesignworksUSA)

E63/64: Adrian Van Hooydonk (DesignworksUSA)

E65/66: Adrian Van Hooydonk (DesignworksUSA)

E70 (X5): Pierre Leclercq (DesignworksUSA)

E71 (X6): Pierre Leclercq (DesignworksUSA)

E82/87/88 (1 Series): Kevin Rice (DesignworksUSA)

E83 (X3): Geoff Velasco (DesignworksUSA)

E85/86 (Z4): Anders Warming (DesignworksUSA)

E90/91/92/93: Joji Nagashima (Munich)

F01/02 (7 Series): Karim Antoine Habib (Munich)

Old 02-03-09, 08:51 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

Bangle butt....
Old 02-03-09, 08:59 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

E82/87/88 (1 Series): Kevin Rice (DesignworksUSA)
I choose to dislike this person ... BATH-TUB!

edit: I just realized that was my 4000th post ... what a worthy post

Last edited by Faymester; 02-03-09 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-03-09, 09:02 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Coconut
Bangle butt....
Most prominent on the 7-series, not good.

And flame-surfacing too....
Old 02-03-09, 09:09 AM
LexFather

Quick Reply: Chris Bangle resigns from BMW