Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Insurance: Best All Around?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-08, 06:16 PM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Insurance: Best All Around?

This may have been discussed before but I didn't find it in a quick search.

I have State Farm for all of my insurance (house, cars and personal articles) but wondered if it is the best all around insurance or if I am missing something better in terms of value, service, coverage, etc.

I am sure that some of you know have some good insight. Any comments?
Old 09-01-08, 07:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Unless you are active-duty military and can get USAA insurance, I'd say GEICO is the best company for the masses, though they are a little picky about who they will take on as new policyholders. But they operate around the clock (1-800-841-3000), without having to wait for an agent to open up the office in the morning (GEICO does not use agents, and can do everything on the phone), have the lowest or near-lowest rates, especially for good drivers, and will not fold up and be gone tomorrow like some companies.....you can depend on them.

Case in point: I once had a rock hit my windshield on the D.C. Beltway. Ten minutes later, over the phone, I had a GEICO claim number (yes, that quick....they didn't even need an adjuster for only a windshield). Half an hour later, my car was in my favorite local glass shop. Ninety minutes later, little more than two hours from when the rock hit, I had a new windshield installed and ready to go.....paid for and settled by GEICO. Just try that with some other companies.
Old 09-01-08, 07:37 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any insurance companies that don't penalize heavily for minor tickets? I've never been in an accident, but I have a bunch of minor speeding tickets (e.g. 5-10mph over the limit)
Old 09-02-08, 08:01 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Unless you are active-duty military and can get USAA insurance, I'd say GEICO is the best company for the masses, though they are a little picky about who they will take on as new policyholders. But they operate around the clock (1-800-841-3000), without having to wait for an agent to open up the office in the morning (GEICO does not use agents, and can do everything on the phone), have the lowest or near-lowest rates, especially for good drivers, and will not fold up and be gone tomorrow like some companies.....you can depend on them.

Case in point: I once had a rock hit my windshield on the D.C. Beltway. Ten minutes later, over the phone, I had a GEICO claim number (yes, that quick....they didn't even need an adjuster for only a windshield). Half an hour later, my car was in my favorite local glass shop. Ninety minutes later, little more than two hours from when the rock hit, I had a new windshield installed and ready to go.....paid for and settled by GEICO. Just try that with some other companies.
1sick, i switched from USAA to Geico...I refuse to ever do business with USAA Auto Insurance side ever again. When i had the ZX-2, i had 2 tickets and one accident and my 6 month premium was $2700!!!!!!! my insurance was more than my car payment. I was married and had another car, and the ZX-2 was by FAR the more expensive of the 2. $1800 of that $2700 was for full coverage on the ZX-2.

my USAA coverage was with a $1,000 deductible, no glass and no rental.

Geico gave me all the coverages, a $500 deductible and all for $1200 every 6 months. so why the REDICULOUS difference in price? they were charging me double for collision on the ZX-2 and refused to fix it.

now, i pay $600 every 6 months (under 25) for full coverage on my civic. still high, but manageable.
Old 09-02-08, 10:03 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
1sick, i switched from USAA to Geico...I refuse to ever do business with USAA Auto Insurance side ever again. When i had the ZX-2, i had 2 tickets and one accident and my 6 month premium was $2700
This is exactly why USAA is a superior insurance company. Rather than everyone having to subsidize the proven risky and costly behaviors of some drivers, they reward those who are low-risk and charge more for those who are not.

Their customer service is a benchmark not only in the insurance industry but across ALL industries. They quickly and diligently handle claims and do not dicker about coverages. You can speak to a real live person who speaks coherent English, without waiting on hold, at any time of the day or night. And what other insurance company mails you a refund every year?
Old 09-03-08, 05:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iceman
This is exactly why USAA is a superior insurance company. Rather than everyone having to subsidize the proven risky and costly behaviors of some drivers, they reward those who are low-risk and charge more for those who are not.

Their customer service is a benchmark not only in the insurance industry but across ALL industries. They quickly and diligently handle claims and do not dicker about coverages. You can speak to a real live person who speaks coherent English, without waiting on hold, at any time of the day or night. And what other insurance company mails you a refund every year?
All of the features you describe about USAA also apply to GEICO (I know; I've been with GEICO for 25 years), including periodic refunds, but GEICO doesn't necessarily send them out every year like USAA. I've gotten 3 or 4 of them that I can remember.

The main difference is that USAA, as I understand it, is military-only, while GEICO covers a broader cross-section of the public. But GEICO will not just pick up anyone....they have strict entrance standards.

I don't know a great deal about State Farm, but I understand that a lot of people are quite satisfied with them, too. Most of those I've met with State Farm are pleased, so far, but they can't equal GEICO's low rates.

And even the best companies sometimes have unsatisfied customers. Note Army of One's displeasure, above, with USAA.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-03-08 at 05:36 AM.
Old 09-03-08, 11:11 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although USAA is available only to certain individuals, it is, without a doubt, the best car insurance money can buy. I've seen their customer service first hand when my Father totalled two Supras. Fortunately, I've not had to make any claims with them, but if I ever needed to, I could rest easy knowing I would be taken care of. I know that if I were ever involved in an accident that wasn't my fault, I could only wish that the driver at fault was insured through USAA.
Old 09-03-08, 11:46 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another +1 on USAA.

I feel especially qualified to state that they're the best for two reasons:

#1- I've been employed by an insurance agency for the last 8 years. That agency represents almost every major and minor company you've ever heard of but of course does not offer USAA.

#2- Despite all of the above, I still have USAA and wouldn't consider any of the other companies we offer.
Old 09-03-08, 12:58 PM
dc935
Rookie

If you are eligible, USAA is the best. Customer service is top-notch and the rates are unbeatable (ive got a clean record). Top ranking in Business Week again for their service. Ive been with them since 94

https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_utils/...week_forrester
Old 09-04-08, 12:20 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The ratings dont lie. This was just released last week by JD Power:

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...spx?ID=2008135

http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/new...df/2008135.pdf
Old 09-04-08, 12:26 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

The top 6 insurance companies available to the public well above the national average in Customer Satisfaction:

1) Amica
2) State Farm
3) Erie Insurance
4) Auto Owners
5) American National Property & Casualty
6) Auto Club of Southern California (AAA) - This is pretty good rank considering this carrier only insures cars in Southern California only and to AAA members in that part of the state.
Old 09-04-08, 05:31 AM
luxury1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Great info! Thanks!
Old 09-04-08, 05:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

How credible, though, are J.D. Power's figures? I have not been impressed with the way they do auto ratings and research (and I was one of their long-term focus panelists for some time, not just a ransom survey). So what evidence is there that they do insurance figures any better? Consumer Reports, don't forget rates insurance as well as cars, and IMO does a better job with both.

I'm not saying YOU guys can't accept Power's figures if you want to...that's your choice. But I am not impressed with them.

1sick, i switched from USAA to Geico...I refuse to ever do business with USAA Auto Insurance side ever again.
Army of One and 1SICK are not ignorant. If they left USAA for GEICO, it was probably for a good reason. I, myself, left Allstate for GEICO back in 1982....been with them ever since, and enormously satisfied.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-04-08 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-04-08, 05:49 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How credible, though, are J.D. Power's figures? I have not been impressed with the way they do auto ratings and research (and I was one of their long-term focus panelists for some time, not just a ransom survey). So what evidence is there that they do insurance figures any better? Consumer Reports, don't forget rates insurance as well as cars, and IMO does a better job with both.

I'm not saying YOU guys can't accept Power's figures if you want to...that's your choice. But I am not impressed with them.
Well you know how I feel... I give much greater credibility to JDP than I do to CR... but feel free to post up CR's results... otherwise this is all we have to go on.
Old 09-04-08, 02:12 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

JDPA is a pretty credible resource in the insurance industry. It may not be the same sentiment for rating vehicles and their individual categories, but they are recognized industry wide.

Quick Reply: Insurance: Best All Around?