Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which one?
E 60 M5
44.71%
CLS 55/63
55.29%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

**Help choosing between Cls55 or M5*

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-08, 10:40 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Honestly, I wouldn't want any such powerful car without AWD - 500hp and RWD is going to get you in trouble.
Actually, there are too many electronic nannies in these cars which are on by default...really difficult to get in trouble unless you're inherently a bad driver.

But if you turn stability control off, then yes...trouble awaits
Old 03-11-08, 10:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Actually, there are too many electronic nannies in these cars which are on by default...really difficult to get in trouble unless you're inherently a bad driver.

agree, with stability control on, the car is ok actually. with it off it's something else
Old 03-11-08, 11:05 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

One can dial up the performance in the M5. From mild...400hp... to wild...507hp at the push of a button. How wonderful is that? Both cars are not for the novice driver though.
Old 03-11-08, 01:17 PM
milky
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, thats a hard choice. Flip a coin, can't really go wrong w/ either one. I guess it just depends on what you are looking for.. what are your driving habits, and how often do you drive in traffic?

Also, would this be your daily driver?
Old 03-11-08, 02:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
agree, with stability control on, the car is ok actually. with it off it's something else
But with the stability on, a lot of that power is basically held back so in some ways its kinda pointless.

AWD FTW! (Can you tell I watched Clarkson thrash an R8 around a track last night? And he said it blew away a Porsche 911 [rwd version] )
Old 03-11-08, 02:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
But with the stability on, a lot of that power is basically held back so in some ways its kinda pointless.

AWD FTW! (Can you tell I watched Clarkson thrash an R8 around a track last night? And he said it blew away a Porsche 911 [rwd version] )
well it depends on design, it usually kicks in when you lose control of the car (for not-so-good drivers). on normal daily driving, it won't kick in left and right and make the car 300hp
Old 03-11-08, 07:49 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No way I would take any Benz over M5.
Old 03-11-08, 07:58 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont know about other cars, but in my GS, the stability control system almost got me in trouble several times. The car was nowhere near losing control, but the VSC kicked in, and decided to take control away from me.

I'll take any AWD car with no stability control over a RWD with it in a heartbeat.
Old 03-11-08, 09:08 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I dont know about other cars, but in my GS, the stability control system almost got me in trouble several times. The car was nowhere near losing control, but the VSC kicked in, and decided to take control away from me.

I'll take any AWD car with no stability control over a RWD with it in a heartbeat.
Understandable, some drivers like being in 100% control of their cars. Here's an quote taken from the Edmunds.com E63 review. I assume it would apply to the CLS63 as well.

"Mercedes even allows you to completely shut off the E63's stability control, which just isn't possible in the manual-transmission model of the M5. This of course means big, lewd powerslides are on the menu should you be in the mood. We always are, and can attest to the E63's desire to be tossed around. In fact, this car is so easy to control while sliding that its quickest slalom speed was achieved with the stability control shut off and its tail wagging."

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=120601
Old 03-11-08, 09:16 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
No way I would take any Benz over M5.
personal preference but I would take all these Benz of an M5..E63, CLS63, S63, S65, SL55, SL65, CL 63, and the CL 65..The interior of these are cars are nicer and they are just as fast. And The way they sound are amazing especially the G55!!! That car sounds like a monster on steriods!

The Cls 55 sounds better than the CLS 63 because it has more torque and CLS55 is supercharged. And all the new AMG cars except the G Wagon are naturally aspirated!

The CLS63 has a new instrument cluster and race-car steering wheel everything else is identical to the CLS55.

Best of luck on your purchase can't go wrong with either!
Old 03-11-08, 09:24 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Understandable, some drivers like being in 100% control of their cars. Here's an quote taken from the Edmunds.com E63 review. I assume it would apply to the CLS63 as well.

"Mercedes even allows you to completely shut off the E63's stability control, which just isn't possible in the manual-transmission model of the M5. This of course means big, lewd powerslides are on the menu should you be in the mood. We always are, and can attest to the E63's desire to be tossed around. In fact, this car is so easy to control while sliding that its quickest slalom speed was achieved with the stability control shut off and its tail wagging."

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=120601
Yep, shutting down the stability control and doing crazy things at the track is one thing, but you dont want to be losing control on the street, with or without stability control. If I was in a situation that I lost control, I'd rather not have VSC, I'd rather have total control of my car. But with 500hp monsters like E55 or M5, its just too easy to get yourself in deep trouble, and I don't understand why these cars aren't offered in AWD.
Old 03-11-08, 09:30 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by adam8065
The Cls 55 sounds better than the CLS 63 because it has more torque and CLS55 is supercharged. And all the new AMG cars except the G Wagon are naturally aspirated!
Thats not correct, AMG has replaced their "55" supercharged v8's with naturally aspirated "63" v8's, but their "65" V12's are bi-turbo. That being said, they are way more powerful than "63" or "55", but are barely faster because they simply can't get traction. I mean over 600hp and 750hp at 2000rpm with street tires and RWD is just insane and makes little sense.
Old 03-11-08, 09:40 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

I think both are equally as nice but I'd still opt for the M5

Old 03-11-08, 09:46 PM
MrBruin09
Lexus Test Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by Och
Thats not correct, AMG has replaced their "55" supercharged v8's with naturally aspirated "63" v8's, but their "65" V12's are bi-turbo. That being said, they are way more powerful than "63" or "55", but are barely faster because they simply can't get traction. I mean over 600hp and 750hp at 2000rpm with street tires and RWD is just insane and makes little sense.
You are correct on all the V-8's except the G wagon which is still supercharged I don't think they can make it naturally aspirated. I hope bi-turbo's V-12's are more powerful than "naturally aspirated or supercharged" V-8's I think the max the Bi-tubro Mercedes Amg version are 604 horsepower.

I do know that Brabus offers a kit that can make the bi-tubro have over 730 horsepower, but here is a video on it being tested on a track and the car is impossible to control, I wonder why

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V4otK9nqZ0
Old 03-11-08, 09:46 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a E55 as a daily and got some sit time with friend's M5.... I like the 55 better just because it has so much torque... handling wise M5 is better... i guess you really have to drive both to see which one you like.. why not go to dealer for a test drive??? i see used M5 and CLS55 quite often at dealer lot....pretty easy to find one for a test drive...

Quick Reply: **Help choosing between Cls55 or M5*