Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tucker fans, inside!!

Old 06-21-09, 05:28 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for sharing, very cool

The car and the design were incredible. So many "Firsts" in the car that took years before they made it to mainstream production.

I'm truly fascinated by this piece of automotive history. I've actually never seen one of these cars in person but would like to one day.

PS the movie was awesome too!!
Old 06-21-09, 12:57 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ There were only 50 of them made and as of the time of the movie, I think, only 48 of them still existed. Your chances of seeing one in person are VERY rare unless you can track down a museum that has one. I was fortunate to be blessed with 2 sightings.
Old 06-21-09, 06:00 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ Yes sir, agreed it will not be easy to see one. I just hope if I'm lucky enough to see one I'll have my camera with me LOL
Old 06-22-09, 12:19 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I remember seeing the movie. It made me hate the Big Three more for their greed and unwillingness to compete. I bet they never thought they would be in the position they are in now. I guess what goes around really does come around
Old 09-21-09, 11:25 PM
LexFather

Watching the movie again now....I love it!

Old 09-21-09, 11:40 PM
LexFather

Closing statementhttp://www.americanrhetoric.com/MovieSpeeches/moviespeechtucker.html

Tucker: When I was a boy, I used to read all about Edison and the Wright brothers, Mr. Ford. They were my heroes. "Rags to Riches" -- that's not just the name of a book, that's what this country was all about. We invented the "free enterprise" system, where anybody, no matter who he was, where he came from, what class he belonged to -- if he came up with a better idea about anything, there's no limit to how far he could go.

I grew up a generation too late, I guess, because now the way the system works the loner, the dreamer, the crackpot who comes up with some crazy idea that everybody laughs at, that later turns out to revolutionize the world -- he's squashed from above before he even gets his head out of the water because the bureaucrats, they'd rather kill a new idea than let it rock the boat!! If Benjamin Franklin were alive today, he'd be thrown in jail for sailing a kite without a license!

It's true. We're all puffed up with ourselves now 'cause we invented the bomb --dropped the -- beat the daylights out of the Japanese, the *****. But if big business closes the door on the little guy with a new idea, we're not only closing the door on progress, but we're sabotaging everything that we fought for! Everything that the country stands for!!

And one day we're going to find ourselves at the bottom of the heap instead of king of the hill, having no idea of how we got there, buying our radios and our cars from our former enemies.

[a juror laughs incredulously]

I don't believe that's going to happen. I can't believe it because if I ever stop believing in the plain 'ole common horse sense of the American people, be no way I could get out of bed in the morning.

Thank you.

Old 09-21-09, 11:52 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MGS4
saw this movie in my business class. great movie

I saw this when I was in high school. Great movie indeed. So sad how he never got the chance after working so hard.