Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NHTSA : Rear-View Cameras Not Foolproof

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-07, 08:07 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts
Default NHTSA : Rear-View Cameras Not Foolproof

Rear-View Cameras Not Foolproof

Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:51AM EDT

Too often, it seems, we come across another terrifying story about a parent or relative running over a child while backing up a vehicle in a driveway. Once again, technology promises a fix—a way to help drivers see where they couldn't before with rear-view cameras to prevent this one particular kind of tragedy. But do they work?

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has told the U.S. Congress that rear-view cameras are "expensive, unreliable and give drivers a false sense of security." That's been my biggest concern. The cameras don't clearly delineate everything in the full, wide swath of a vehicle, especially larger vans and SUVs. It worries me that drivers might tend to rely fully on them and not use their own senses to check around a vehicle before backing up.

Rear-view cameras are not widely used yet. As this AP story points out, on their own, they are not very expensive, but they are typically offered as a new car feature when coupled with the built-in screen that comes with a satellite navigation system, which can cost as much as $2,000.

Steve Bass at PC World tested Roadmaster's VR3 Wireless Backup Camera on his small RV, For $140 (he writes you can find it for even less), he attached the wireless camera system webcam to his RV's rear license plate and mounted the portable screen on his dashboard. His take: He's glad to have it but it doesn't provide as wide a view as he'd hoped, and it can act up as wireless gadgets will do, with fuzzy images and sometimes, none at all. In short, it's not foolproof.

Kids and Cars, a nonprofit consumer-advocacy group, says 474 children died from 2002 to 2006 after being backed over by a vehicle-up from 138 from 1997 to 2001. The group bases its numbers on police reports, media stories, and information from the NHTSA. The rise in numbers is attributed to the rise of larger SUVs and vehicles on the road.

The NHTSA says it will work to improve rear-view detection systems to alert drivers to potential backovers. But even when the next generation of improved, less-expensive rear view cameras hit the market, drivers should never fully rely on them to tell them what's going on around them on a road, or in a driveway.

If anyone is using a rear-view camera in their vehicles, let us know if you think it works well. Would you trust one if you had it in your vehicle ?
http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/devlin/14737
Old 08-22-07, 09:45 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Kids and Cars, a nonprofit consumer-advocacy group, says 474 children died from 2002 to 2006 after being backed over by a vehicle-up from 138 from 1997 to 2001. The group bases its numbers on police reports, media stories, and information from the NHTSA. The rise in numbers is attributed to the rise of larger SUVs and vehicles on the road.
And whose fault was it that ran over their own children??? Always trying to put blame on others

A back up camera is very useful, but not used solely when backing up-d'uh!!!
Old 08-22-07, 10:02 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jeez... which is worse: this article or the claim that the LS cannot park itself.

People are becoming more stupid nowadays. If you read the manual properly, you can park LS easily with the AGPS. If not, you'll spend time fiddling with the arrows and moving the box then claim that the system sucks.

Same with backup cameras. People assume it's the holy grail of rearward vision. You wonder why bother giving them a rear window in the first place since they never use it.
Old 08-22-07, 10:31 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People who don't look behind even though they have a rear view camera should not own one. Nothing is foolproof. It was stupid to put so much faith in technology because it makes mistakes too. Humans=make mistakes=technology that has mistakes. Plain and simple
Old 08-22-07, 07:58 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love having the rearview and I miss it on my older ES. It's great to have the confidence of glancing down and knowing that I'm not backing up over a neighbor's kid, especially in the GX! I wouldn't use it exclusively, but in combination with the mirrors and the good old turn of the neck, it is a powerful tool.
Old 08-22-07, 08:16 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

NHTSA : Rear-View Cameras Not Foolproof
Duh...
Old 08-22-07, 08:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,644 Posts

RIDICULOUS article.

And if people should never 'rely entirely' on a rear camera, what's the point in having it if you have to go walk around the whole vehicle anyway!

So a questionable 474 dead (# pulled from a bunch of uncorrelated sources) in 5 years is less than 100 per year. Terrible to be sure, but how much will be spent by the NHTSA to 'solve' this?
Old 08-23-07, 04:32 AM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"NHTSA : Rear-View Cameras Not Foolproof"

NO WAY!!! What am I going to do now? How about stick this fork into the socket!?
Old 08-23-07, 05:49 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Back up cameras are perfect for seeing what you can't see. Mostly small children. I've checked what I can't see when looking at the mirrors and it is kind of scarry. I guess one could always get out of their car, walk to the back, make sure no kid is playing hide and seek behind your car, then get back in your car while keeping on eye out for childred to jump behind the car while you are not looking, but the back up camera can see all of that so it is a good useful tool. Sure, its not a repacement for the mirrors. I've jumped into my car, started to back up, only to see a dog or cat come running out from behind my car.

Earlier this year 2 babies at seperate times were killed becuase they were backed over in my area. The problem is in the country here in Hawaii, playing on the dirt roads and driveways is something all us kids did when we were young. That is what country folks do. When you are 2-3 years old crawling around the font yard accidents can happen. Now, I personally always knew where my 3 year old was as he grew up so I hold the parents partly resposnsible. However, if the driver simply had a rear view back up camera, it would have been easy to see the child behind the SUV that backed over them.

I used to hook up rear view cameras ever since LCDs came popular. For me at the time it was just a novalty, but it is clear you can see more behind your car with the camera than you can see through the mirrors.
Old 08-23-07, 11:20 PM
LexFather

Tell the FX35/45 couple who tried to sue Nissan b/c their backup camera didn't see their child...