Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevy Rev It Up Driving Event

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-07, 12:26 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Chevy Rev It Up Driving Event

Here is your chance to drive the C6 Vette, Cobolt SS and other Chevy high performance vehicle on an actual track. Talk about ultimate driving events I posted this on the NEloc forum for the NYC locals as the event comes to NYC/NJ on 8/3/07 to 8/4/07. Check out event dates and times for your areas and sign up.. *Note* There is a $25 fee to participate for this event.. You pay at the door. Here is the info http://www.revitup.com/
Old 06-05-07, 01:06 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cobalt SS for performance. Lawl.

No, I'm just kidding .. those things are decent for what they are. Too bad I'm not in the area I'm sure that will be a blast.
Old 06-05-07, 01:31 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ooho i signed up for the socal event..

ok never mind...i can't make it!

Last edited by whoster; 06-05-07 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-05-07, 02:03 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking into it Sean! Gotta get the a-ok from the big boss at home to ensure we aren't doing anything that day.

Also, when I check the site I don't see any 9:30 slot. Only 9:20 and 10:00
Old 06-05-07, 02:45 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Chevy blow it up event
Old 06-05-07, 03:14 PM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

I might go. Just waiting for taste of Lexus.
Old 06-05-07, 04:08 PM
thetopdog
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Chevy blow it up event
I've seen you make many disparaging remarks about GM's reliability, who is somebody with a Mercedes and a Jaguar to talk about reliability?
Old 06-06-07, 08:18 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

You can actually win a Corvette at this event.. You guys want to learn how to drive on a trck, hee is your opportunity! The event was held in NYC last year and many other venues.. Here is some info on the event (from 2006). Sources tell me this year you get to drive the zo6

Attention thrill seekers, car nuts and racing fans – Rev It Up®, the world’s largest performance driving school and national racing competition, returns in 2006 with more professional instruction, more adrenaline crazed excitement, and added horsepower thanks to Chevrolet’s lineup of performance vehicles.

Rev It Up (RIU), presented by Chevrolet, combines fast cars, challenging courses and expert trainers for a high-energy experience. Competitors only need to sign up, show up, listen up to professional racers, and polish up skills in practice laps driving Chevy vehicles before striding up to the RIU Competition Course for a shot at the National Championship and a brand new Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe.

Chevrolet General Manager Ed Peper said, “Chevrolet’s line of products make high-performance cars accessible to everyone and Rev It Up gets race fans off the couch and onto the race course. It’s a perfect fit. From the Cobalt SS to Corvette, participants will find out why Chevrolet is America’s best selling brand.”

After receiving training from professional racers, participants will experience firsthand Chevrolet performance vehicles such as the 440hp Corvette, 171hp Cobalt SS, 205hp Cobalt SS Supercharged and 303hp Impala SS.

Competitors must be at least 18 years old and have a valid driver’s license. The event moves forward rain or shine. General admission is free (and open to all ages) for those who just want to check out the action, root on friends and family, or test drive the line of Chevrolet SS cars on site.

The most exhilarating aspect of RIU is the competition where drivers show their stuff in a Cobalt SS for two separate laps on the RIU Competition Course. Upon registration, drivers fill out a questionnaire regarding their previous driving experience. Their answers dictate which of four competition divisions they are assigned, and a fifth group is set up just for female competitors. When racers hit the track, their lap times are indexed to a benchmark “best”, laid down by a RIU pro driver. The competitor’s time is then converted to a score. At each of the 2006 RIU stops, racers with the best score in each of the five groups will receive a new pair of Piloti driving shoes. The person with the highest score will be named City Champion and receive a reward (TBA).

Competitors will be able to check back at www.RevItUpRacing.com to see how their score matches up with others throughout the United States. When the tour ends in August, the driver with the highest score overall will be crowned RIU National Champion and walk away with a new Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged Coupe -- a car that, in a slightly modified form, has been whipping all others in the Grand-Am Cup’s Street Tuner division.

A RIU visit begins with a brief overview of rules and regulations. Drivers then have five Skills Clinics which they can attend to learn more about performance driving. Two of the Skills Clinics are classroom sessions taught by professionals who have worked at some of the most prestigious racing schools in the world. Students learn about car control, tire dynamics, braking techniques and racing line analysis -- talents that will make them better drivers on either the track or daily commute.

RIU attendees also practice performance driving techniques on three twisty Driving Clinic Courses outlined with orange cones. Pro instructors are on hand at all tracks to provide feedback and tips, and laps are timed so participants can chart their progress or put pressure on compatriots. Each track is uniquely designed to emphasize specific driving techniques and utilizes a Corvette, Impala SS or Cobalt SS Supercharged. Students have up to seven laps they can run on the Driving Clinic Courses, but are allowed only one lap at the Practice Course Driving Clinic.

RIU competition participants can partake of the Skills Clinics in any order they wish. They can also take advantage of the classroom sessions and track time before, between or after their two Competition Course laps.

A special addition this year to the RIU experience is the inclusion of white-knuckle Hot Laps. For a small additional fee, RIU competitors or general admission visitors can ride “shotgun” in a 505hp Corvette Z06 with a professional racer at the wheel. Passengers get to see and feel how a pro uses masterful car control, pinpoint braking, perfect apex analysis and maximum throttle to careen a lighting fast car around the track. Not only is this experience an adrenaline rush, but it is also a tremendous learning tool as it clearly demonstrates how to execute a fast, safe and accurate lap.
Old 06-06-07, 11:22 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Chevy blow it up event
I expect someone in a moderator position to know something about cars.
Old 06-07-07, 12:27 AM
ontime_78
Rookie

Hahaha,

I got O.L.T's back.

Read um' and weep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeO56-smgxI

Ya GM is just the spiting image of QUALITY!

Chevy blow it up-event is damn right!
Old 06-07-07, 12:55 AM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

$25?! What a deal! You can't even rent a Ford Taurus to beat on for that little.
Old 06-07-07, 11:34 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sleeper408
$25?! What a deal! You can't even rent a Ford Taurus to beat on for that little.
Some folks don't realize it.. They rather stand around in the hot summer sun all day looking at other peoples cars and giving high fives to one another rather than doing something eventful like driving the crap out of C6 corvettes.
Old 06-07-07, 08:22 PM
OC 335d
Lexus Test Driver

Signed up for #26 on Saturday. Thanks for posting this. I have a whole bunch of friends that signed up too, it's going to be a blast (no pun).
Old 06-07-07, 11:55 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Hmmm...mad that they make me pay for it now instead of at the gate. It doesnt come to my area till the beginning of August. I'll have to hold off on this till a later date.
Old 06-08-07, 08:26 AM
rosskoss
Advanced

Originally Posted by ontime_78
Hahaha,

I got O.L.T's back.

Read um' and weep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeO56-smgxI

Ya GM is just the spiting image of QUALITY!

Chevy blow it up-event is damn right!
Because one internet example is all you need to judge a company's present condition, right?

What with Tundra engines blowing up and the Lexus ES350 subforum growing at an exponential rate (for all the wrong reasons). Just because your daddy's domestic car sucked, it doesn't you have to remain ignorant about the state of the industry today.

Quick Reply: Chevy Rev It Up Driving Event