Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Smart Headlights are coming . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-07, 08:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 191 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Smart Headlights are coming . . .

Smart lamps

Headlights which dip when they detect other cars will go on sale within two years. That's the claim from technicians at lamp maker Hella
09th April 2007

They have created 'smart' lights which can tell when vehicles - plus cyclists and pedestrians - are about to be lit by a full beam, and lower their angle so there is no chance of dazzling them.

The clever system uses a camera and sensor to continually scan up to 800 metres ahead of the car. When it detects a vehicle, it cuts the beam length by swivelling the lamp and reflector down*wards without reducing the level of brightness.

Inventors say the same system can be used to improve night-time visibility on hilly roads. The sensors will always detect where the tarmac is, and keep the beam pointed directly at it to ensure it doesn't rise and fall with the nose of the car.

Clusters of LEDs are also being tested in the new headlamps. These would allow the pattern of the beam to be adjusted automatically while driving to highlight important features - so the same lamp unit could illuminate a roadside sign while staying dipped on the tarmac ahead.
source : autoexpress
Old 04-10-07, 08:56 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Nice find.
Looking forward to a HUD type display with FLIR (is that right?) type night vision capabilities.
Old 04-10-07, 09:05 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice this should cut down on idiots driving around with high beams on......
Old 04-10-07, 09:07 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wonder if Lexus will be the first one? They typically are first with new gadgets like the such...
Old 04-10-07, 09:11 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Wonder if Lexus will be the first one? They typically are first with new gadgets like the such...
Not to go off topic but who came out with HID's first I remember the Lincoln Mark 8 and the GMC Jimmy with them first but I might be wrong.
Old 04-10-07, 10:07 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

You're correct. Lincoln was the first brand to use HID in their 1995 Mark VIII. A good three years ahead of lexus and in terms of technology, 3 years is a long time. However, the original ballasts and bulbs were bulkier and dare I say weirder
Old 04-10-07, 10:20 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Wish we had this setup now..
Old 04-10-07, 10:31 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Wasn't Lexus the first to introduce headlights that turned in corners to allow you to see further down that corner?
Old 04-10-07, 10:43 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Wasn't Lexus the first to introduce headlights that turned in corners to allow you to see further down that corner?
Nope. That distinction goes to the 1948 Tucker.
Old 04-10-07, 12:03 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't GM come up with this auto-dim for the high beams before? I think it was on Cadillacs. Can anyone confirm?

In any case what we need are low beams that can sense a hill like the last illustration so that cars coming up the hill don't get blinded for that second when an oncoming car comes over the crest of the hill.
Old 04-10-07, 12:06 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Nope. That distinction goes to the 1948 Tucker.
You are absolutely right. I completely forgot about the Tucker. Somehow that center light was connected to the steering and when you turned the wheel it would turn the light. Good eye
Old 04-10-07, 12:09 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder who will offer it first...
Old 04-10-07, 12:13 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Didn't GM come up with this auto-dim for the high beams before? I think it was on Cadillacs. Can anyone confirm?

True! I do remember seeing something similar to that on one of the new Caddies, but I dont think it works entirely like this one explained here.
Old 04-10-07, 12:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Lexus will probably be the first to put full LED headlights in production.
Old 04-10-07, 01:01 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been preaching for far too long now that LED headlights would be the advent of some really cool stuff - this being one of many things we will see. with LED clusters it's extremely inexpensive and reliable to create a setup that can basically project almost any beam pattern you'd like. Even going so far as to create a patter of light that would exceed the distance of that car, but split down the middle so as to not shine any light ON the car, but shine it around the car. Heck maybe even lights that will sense a split in the road and project some lighting down the alternate path by default to allow you to better see which direction you want to go.

Or the one I'd love to see - a system that could shine at least a little bit of light up as street signs when I'm driving slowly through a neighborhood - sometimes it's sooo hard to read those signs at night when I'm looking for a certain street.

Quick Reply: Smart Headlights are coming . . .