Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

pro-journalist thoughts on the new Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-07, 10:46 PM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pro-journalist thoughts on the new Tundra

check out this raving lunatic, err auto journalist.
Rick Titus w/his advanced degree in English does a great job credibly and professionally dissecting the Tundra's frame.

considering ttac's "journalist" or idiot w/a computer wouldn't even make the cut for a professional magazine writer I wonder why clublexus doesn't forbid TTAC from the board. I've seen other forums do it, simple fact if some clown from TTAC wants to express his opinion he needs to do it here like the other members on the board.

anyways

enjoy it while it's still available.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv4kGXwe4mE&NR

from wikipedia
Titus’ hands-on involvement with cars and trucks, including a stint as head of engineering at a leading automotive accessories manufacturer, led to an outstanding journalism career. His credits include over 350 articles or segments for Motor Trend (Technical Editor), Popular Mechanics (West Coast Automotive Editor), TNN (NASCAR Editor), Mustang and Fast Fords (Engineering Editor), Road & Track Specials (Features Editor) and Sports Car Magazine (Technical Editor).
I hope I'm wrong here, and he isn't a acutal auto journalist.
Old 03-04-07, 11:41 PM
@lpher
Lead Lap

wtf?!

"For internal use only: Ford Motor Company"?!!
Old 03-05-07, 01:27 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I found it funny. When people and companies die, that is when they scream the most before their final breath. Goodbye FORD! We will never miss you.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 03-05-07 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-05-07, 03:24 AM
Mr. Jones
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I found it funny. When people and companies die, that is when they scream the most before their final breath. Goodbye FORD! Will never miss you.
if he were a Ford employee, I'd find it amusing. I expect higher standards from a professional writer.
Old 03-05-07, 06:57 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

He certainly throws the word "our" around when comparing the F-150 to the Tundra . . . I'm pretty skeptical of his real technical expertise, based on his analysis. When Toyota does something right, he dismisses it as copied from Ford. Quite a fanboy, this one.
Old 03-05-07, 07:08 AM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like 7 minutes of sour grapes to me.
Old 03-05-07, 08:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I found it funny. When people and companies die, that is when they scream the most before their final breath. Goodbye FORD! We will never miss you.
I think that's a bit much, Lee, just because you hate Ford. Ford has big problems, for sure, but they're not going away. The F-150, while having much stronger competition now, is still the highest selling vehicle in the U.S. The Fusion, despite the fact you hate it and has been unreliable for you, is a success. The Edge has been well received. Their stake in Mazda is handy since Mazda is doing pretty well in their niche. They're going to sell Aston Martin to raise cash. They have a person at the helm now who seems to be capable and wasn't formerly a Detroit insider.

Disclaimer: Yes, I own 2 Fords and a Mazda now, after having 2 Lexus vehicles a few years ago. I wouldn't have believed it myself back then if someone had told me. However I'm completely satisfied with my vehicles, and my dealer.
Old 03-05-07, 10:36 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think that's a bit much, Lee, just because you hate Ford. Ford has big problems, for sure, but they're not going away. The F-150, while having much stronger competition now, is still the highest selling vehicle in the U.S. The Fusion, despite the fact you hate it and has been unreliable for you, is a success. The Edge has been well received. Their stake in Mazda is handy since Mazda is doing pretty well in their niche. They're going to sell Aston Martin to raise cash. They have a person at the helm now who seems to be capable and wasn't formerly a Detroit insider.

Disclaimer: Yes, I own 2 Fords and a Mazda now, after having 2 Lexus vehicles a few years ago. I wouldn't have believed it myself back then if someone had told me. However I'm completely satisfied with my vehicles, and my dealer.
But Paul, the F-150 sells because it is very inexpensive compared to other trucks out there. They are a dime a dozen out there in So Cali. Heck ,I even thought about buying one last year because they were so inexpensive. Plus with all of the incentives-of course they sell well. Does not mean they are the best out there. My Fusion experience coupled with every Ford I have owned has left with me a very sour taste in my mouth and the usual Ford babble goes on.
The arrogance displayed in that video is typical of Ford and why Ford is hurting as it does today. I feel for their employees but certainly not the company itself. The playing field has always been leveraged for the domestics and yet Ford seems to have a very tough time taking advantage of this.
Plus I do not hate my Fusion per se. It is an incredibly unreliable car for sure just the same as all of my prior Fords and the usual poor dealer service to boot. I have always said, if Toyota or Honda made the Fusion it would be an awesome car.
Now, for Mazda, what part of your Miata has some real Ford influence in it? Very littel I am sure , unlike the Mazda 6 which again on the outset drives very nice (had one for 2 weeks while Fusion was in the shop).
But keep in mind, I had a 07 Mustang, 07 Expedition, and a 07 Escape for rentals while my Fusion was in the shop for 7.5 out of 8 weeks. The Mustang had 3k miles on it, the Expedition had 2k miles on it and both had problems already. Brand new cars. The Escape had higher miles but was such a horrible vehicle I turned it right back the next day.
I then ended up with a 07 Altima. Not a problem the entire time I had it. We did like the Expedition and would consier buying one if someone elses name was on the hood. As is, we are looking at other options.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 03-05-07 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-05-07, 10:39 AM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Didn't Toyota basically borrow the Expedition frame from Ford? Actually they made it 6 inches longer on the Sequoia.. There was some hub-bub about that so I can see why this guy compares the Ford and Tundra like.

Its somewhat impossible now for car companies not to look at each other for some stying, engineering, and that *Wow* factor.
Old 03-05-07, 10:44 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS_Mine
Didn't Toyota basically borrow the Expedition frame from Ford? Actually they made it 6 inches longer on the Sequoia.. There was some hub-bub about that so I can see why this guy compares the Ford and Tundra like.

Its somewhat impossible now for car companies not to look at each other for some stying, engineering, and that *Wow* factor.
What is interesting is that if Ford could get them financed with their credit (j/k), they probably have several Tundras sitting at their factory already. But hey, let's not film it at the Ford plant as people may ask why Ford is taking Tundras apart.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 03-05-07 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-05-07, 01:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

But Paul, the F-150 sells because it is very inexpensive compared to other trucks out there. They are a dime a dozen out there in So Cali. Heck ,I even thought about buying one last year because they were so inexpensive.
Wrong. F-150's can run from as little as 20K to almost 50K for a loaded King Ranch or Harley Davidson model. And the King Ranch's interior will put some luxury cars to shame.

Last edited by mmarshall; 03-05-07 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-05-07, 01:20 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Wrong. F-150's can run from as little as 20K to almost 50K for a loaded King Ranch or Harley Davidson model. And the King Ranch's interior will put some luxury cars to shame.
Your are missing everything. How many of those 50k trucks do you believe Ford sold to place it over the top?

Plus new Ford F-150's go for 17K and up and with incentives such as zero % financing ,a new F-150 cost substantially less vs comparable trucks out there.

Now,also, you have to factor in the fleet sales. This is the only reason the Ford Taurus was number 1 in sales years ago. Back out the fleet sales and you will get an genuine sales figure. Not saying it would drop in standings, but fleet sales are a major factor in F-150 sales as well.
Old 03-05-07, 01:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Your are missing everything. How many of those 50k trucks do you believe Ford sold to place it over the top?
What am I missing? I'm not missing anything. If you don't believe me, ask the guys who buy this truck, year after year. Any way you look at it, Pearl, F-150 guys are a loyal (and almost fanatical) lot. The almost 800,000 F-150 sales each year are due to a lot more than price and fleet sales alone. This truck, like it or not, has become an American institution....as has also the Chevy Silverado.

Now.....does it DESERVE to be an American institution? Whatever your feelings, yes or no, that, of course, is a whole other arguement, and one perhaps not suited for this thread, which originally was for the Tundra.
Old 03-05-07, 01:35 PM
IS_Mine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What am I missing? I'm not missing anything. If you don't believe me, ask the guys who buy this truck, year after year. Any way you look at it, Pearl, F-150 guys are a loyal (and almost fanatical) lot. The almost 800,000 F-150 sales each year are due to a lot more than price and fleet sales alone. This truck, like it or not, has become an American institution....as has also the Chevy Silverado.

Now.....does it DESERVE to be an American institution? Whatever your feelings, yes or no, that, of course, is a whole other arguement, and one perhaps not suited for this thread, which originally was for the Tundra.

+1

F150 fans and Chevy Silverado fans are as we have stated many times before some of the fiercest and loyal owners ever.

This weekend we looked at a Tundra. I'm sorry but the build quality, sound, and drive blew the F150 out of the water. It also did the new Silverado (although I love that new front end!). My friends were in denial over the Toyota. It is all preference but they rathered the Chevy because even though it wasn't as pretty it could tow 16k pounds.

Riiiiiiiiight. How many people tow 16k pounds on a regular basis? Thats like what a 30ft boat, and if you have something that large might as well keep it docked!
Old 03-05-07, 01:37 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It doesn't appear that Toyota is going for the fleet market, wisely because it would face some of the old "Made in USA" prejudice we used to see here. I couldn't even park my foreign-made car on the lots of some of the local chemical plants here as recently as 30 years ago because the trade unions had an agreement with plant management to exclude them from company-owned property.

While that rule has long been suspended, there is still an extreme reluctance among most US companies to purchase anything other than "Big 3" vehicles for fleet service. Ford has been dominant in the local market because even at bottom-feeder prices it has offered a good value and relative comfort in its 1/2 and 3/4 ton truck lines. Chevy has done well too, but have suffered a bit in the reliability department - according to local fleet buyers.

Loaded up with options, Ford produces a VERY impressive truck. As mmarshall said, the King Ranch option puts all the other luxury-market working trucks back on the trailer. Naturally, these are the marque's standard bearers, not necessarily selling in statistically significant numbers. Like Titus said, they're there to make the brochure look good . . . and make you feel like a cheapskate for not ordering the full boat of options for your work truck.

Quick Reply: pro-journalist thoughts on the new Tundra