Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Quickest Selling Vehicles In January 2007

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 09:53 PM
LexFather

Exclamation Quickest Selling Vehicles In January 2007

Old 02-15-07, 04:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The above chart must reflect, at least to an extent, the relative unpopularity of roadsters and convertibles during the winter, but up to the last couple of months or so, the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky ranked way up there on the hard-to-get car list. A wise shopper will take advantage of this and buy one during the winter ( even if it is impractical to drive one then because of weather or road conditions ) and save money from the lower demand.

One thing that IS surprising, IMO, is the prevalence of black for the new S-Class. Silver, today, is not only the most popular new car color in general, but is the traditional, signature color for Mercedes....no one in the industry does it better. A Mercedes silver paint job, when cleaned up and waxed, has to be seen to be believed.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-15-07 at 04:12 AM.
Old 02-15-07, 07:33 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Funny how the Honda Fit and the Lexus LS have the same # of days to turn, since the LS is five times the cost...
Old 02-15-07, 07:40 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

That FJ Cruiser I thought would be up there. They are supposed to be selling it down here along with the Highlander soon, so will be interested to see how it sells in Mexico.
Old 02-15-07, 07:44 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Funny how the Honda Fit and the Lexus LS have the same # of days to turn, since the LS is five times the cost...
My guess, and this is only a guess, is that the supply if LS vehicles are much less than the Honda Fit thus more people waiting in line to get one. One way to tell is to see the actual sales figures for those two cars.
Old 02-15-07, 07:45 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to see Toyota has 3 of the top 10 spots.

It's kinda sad to see *none* of the former "big 3" in the list.
Old 02-15-07, 07:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Money is really not the issue with the LS. Engineering, refinement, quality, and reliability are. The LS has become a status symbol among many well-heeled buyers, and demand for the car is considerable. it also is a car that Lexus cannot just throw together quickly on the assembly line, either, to meet high demand...it is an extremely complex and well-assembled machine, requiring a slow-moving assembly line and probably more worker-hours than the average car.
Old 02-15-07, 08:19 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

based on the sale figure I didn't know the Fit was THAT hot..
Old 02-15-07, 08:28 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
One thing that IS surprising, IMO, is the prevalence of black for the new S-Class. Silver, today, is not only the most popular new car color in general, but is the traditional, signature color for Mercedes....no one in the industry does it better. A Mercedes silver paint job, when cleaned up and waxed, has to be seen to be believed.
I've seen silver mercedes parked right next to silver Lexus LS, the silver paint on the LS looks significantly better . The special designo paint choices on mercedes however, usually looks excellent.

Actually, I like the Mercedes S class (current & previous) MUCH better in black than in silver, I thought they look pretty boring in silver.
Old 02-15-07, 10:39 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by newr
based on the sale figure I didn't know the Fit was THAT hot..
Honda can only make so many Fits. In fact, many of the cars on this list are hot because the mfg is capacity strained -and thus the car flys off the lot cause there are more buyers than there are cars.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It is black and silver for MB. Go into any dealer here in the Midwest and that's about all you will find (plus pewter...ewwwww). When I was thinking about getting a GL, I realized that even though MB offers TONS of color combos, if you were to special order something like a GL in red (and you would have to), you would kill your resale.
Old 02-15-07, 10:44 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I hate silver, but i'm actually in love with mercede's silver. No one does it better for me. Black is the only way to go for luxury cars IMO, but give me a silver E55/63 over a black version

Not too fond of Lexus, Acura, BMW, etc silver. Just doesn't do it for me
Old 02-15-07, 10:49 AM
LexFather

I like Benz silver the best. Their silver to me screams luxury. I like BMW and Lexus silver too. Audi does a good silver. The rest remind me of the silver on a Corolla.

I think some of it is not paint but good design. Silver is a luxurious color and some car makers just have a better understanding of luxury than others.

Old 02-15-07, 11:56 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I actually painted my wheels Mercedes silver. The best silver out there
Old 02-15-07, 12:06 PM
xioix
Racer

the ls out sold the fit in january 3006 to 2036 but that also included the ls430
Old 02-15-07, 12:24 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xioix
the ls out sold the fit in january 3006 to 2036 but that also included the ls430
It was an extremely small number of LS430s, considering that production on it ended months ago.

Quick Reply: Quickest Selling Vehicles In January 2007