Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D First Drive: Audi R8

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 10:43 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default C&D First Drive: Audi R8

We get behind the wheel to answer the question: How delicious is Audi’s new mid-engine exotic?
BY JUERGEN ZOELLTER, PHOTOGRAPHY BY HEINRICH HÜLSER AND JEFFREY G. RUSSELL
January 2007

“We don’t want to add just another toy to the segment but a serious sports car that can be used every day,” Werner Frowein says about the Audi R8. He’s the managing director of Neckarsulm-based Quattro GmbH and is responsible for the development of Audi’s new mid-engined sports car. Frowein doesn’t want to create competition with the Lamborghini Gallardo. (VW owns both Audi and Lamborghini.) Accordingly, the interior of the R8 is not as breathtakingly aggressive as the exterior styling. The interior has design details shared with other Audis, for example, although the milled aluminum shift lever and the carbon-fiber trim in the cockpit are unique R8 pieces.

Thanks to a 104.3-inch-long wheelbase, the R8 passenger compartment has more leg-, shoulder-, and headroom than a Porsche 911 Carrera or Mercedes SL. The user-friendliness is highlighted by enough space behind the seats for two golf bags.

Continuing the civilized-sports-car theme, the engine is fired by turning a key rather than by pressing a race-car-style button. The 420-hp, 4.2-liter V-8 engine is smooth and quiet at low speeds, the steering is direct without being nervous, and wind noise is muted in everyday driving, although—as with most mid-engined sports cars— poor rear visibility makes parking a challenge.

The R8’s character changes at higher speeds on open roads, but it’s never raw, like a Porsche 911 GT3’s. Thanks to the modified air intake and exhaust system, the R8 engine delivers its maximum torque between 3500 and 7600 rpm, a higher figure than in the RS 4, which shares the same powerplant. At 5000 rpm, two valves in the intake manifold open and the engine note becomes more aggressive while the car surges forward impressively, despite a claimed curb weight of 3450 pounds.

The V-8 FSI engine sits 4.7 inches lower than in the RS 4, thanks to a dry-sump oil system. The engine is mated to a short-throw six-speed Graziano manual transmission. A hydraulic clutch system is optional, using paddles for manual shifting. Audi calls this R tronic, whereas Lamborghini names it e-gear in the Gallardo.

Like the Gallardo, the R8 has all-wheel drive. A minimum of 60 percent of the engine’s torque is delivered to the rear wheels. The upshot is safe, balanced handling: Initial understeer can be countered with the throttle, and it’s possible to break the tail loose if the driver is brave on corner exit. The R8 uses adaptive damping, as in the TT, and it’s precise and easy to drive fast, if a little bland. It’s also stable at speed, thanks to careful aerodynamic management—a rear spoiler deploys at speeds above 75 mph, and there’s a flat underbody.

Audi claims a top speed of 185 mph, which means the R8 is faster in a straight line than a 911 Carrera S. Yet it’s not as sporty as the Porsche and is likely to cost a lot more money in the U.S.—we estimate about $110,000. That’s still way cheaper than a Gallardo or Ferrari F430, its closest mid-engined rivals, and will make the R8 an alternative for prospective 911 Turbo and Aston V-8 Vantage buyers when it goes on sale in the fall of 2007 in the U.S.

VEHICLE TYPE: mid-engine, 4-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 2-door coupe

ESTIMATED BASE PRICE: $110,000

ENGINE TYPE: DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection
Displacement: 254 cu in, 4163cc
Power (SAE net): 420 bhp @ 7800 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 317 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm

TRANSMISSIONS: 6-speed manual, 6-speed manual with automated shifting and clutch

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 104.3 in
Length: 174.4 in
Width: 74.8 in
Height: 49.2 in
Curb weight: 3450 lb

PERFORMANCE (MFR’S EST):
Zero to 62 mph: 4.6 sec
Top speed (drag limited): 185 mph

PROJECTED FUEL ECONOMY (C/D EST):
EPA city driving: 14 mpg
EPA highway driving: 20 mpg

Old 01-22-07, 10:52 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm seriously eyeing one as the next car to replace my 911S...although I do love my 911S. We'll see how I feel after a test drive...
Old 01-22-07, 11:13 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That really seemed like a pretty lukewarm review to be honest. 3500lbs and 420 hp isn't really spectacular anymore...
Old 01-22-07, 11:30 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

yeah id say LF-A is more spectacular on paper so far
Audi missed their chance of putting in the V12 TDI into this R8...
Old 01-22-07, 11:43 PM
mavericck
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by UberNoob
yeah id say LF-A is more spectacular on paper so far
Audi missed their chance of putting in the V12 TDI into this R8...
That could always be an option later on down the road and this review wasn't exactly a very detailed or informative one. I'll wait for a review from Car, Automobile, Car and Driver, or Top Gear.
Old 01-23-07, 12:33 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mavericck
That could always be an option later on down the road and this review wasn't exactly a very detailed or informative one. I'll wait for a review from Car, Automobile, Car and Driver, or Top Gear.
i just dont think they can fit the V12 TDI engine in the R8
not without a huge modification anyways
it took them long enough to adapt the V12 TDI into Q7 thats got a huge bonnet...

it is harder to put such a big engine in a mid engine car while having big enuf of a transmission to handle that much torque
but if they can do it, then mad pros to Audi and VW engineering
i do hope they can pull it off otherwise LF-A will have it easy, or easier i should say
Old 01-23-07, 03:04 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

While the V12 TDI engine would be amazing, I don't know that they shouldn't have used a version of the V10, though that might encroach on Gallardo territory. 420HP V8 just seems a bit tame for anything above $70k, especially when it weighs 3500lbs.
Old 01-23-07, 03:42 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is the direction Honda should have gone with the next NSX. Even if the LF-A has better specs on paper and probably would be much faster in a straight line, I probably would choose this car. 4.6 0-60 is probably conservative, and the handling and driving feel of the mid engine V8 probably is great.

Personally, I don't think this car and the LF-A appeal to the same buyers. LF-A is a front engine GT and this is a mid engine sports car. This car too me takes over the market segment where the NSX left. The affordable (If you can call $100K affordable) mid engine exotic segment. It appeals to those that always dreamed of owning a mid engine Ferrari or Lamborghini but can't afford the $250K price.
Old 01-23-07, 07:51 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

3500 lbs. seems a little heavy. And 14 mpg city is not very impressive either.

But even 997's weigh that much these days. Still, the R8 probably drives great...
Old 01-23-07, 08:11 PM
LexFather

Better enjoy it now. Porsche sees no reason for it.
I really like it.

Old 01-23-07, 08:15 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was watching NBC Sports Detroit Auto Show edition on Saturday and they mentioned the V10 would make it into the R8 a year after the introduction.

I could only dream of driving one of these bad boys.
Old 01-23-07, 08:34 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

To cut straight to it, not for me.
Old 01-23-07, 08:39 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

ok having a V10 in this would make more sense

w/ the current V8 on the market, i still would rather buy a porsche
i wonder how this goes up against 911S in terms of handling
Old 01-23-07, 08:48 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

$110K for this car seems like a pretty reasonable price.
Old 01-23-07, 10:29 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
This is the direction Honda should have gone with the next NSX. Even if the LF-A has better specs on paper and probably would be much faster in a straight line, I probably would choose this car. 4.6 0-60 is probably conservative, and the handling and driving feel of the mid engine V8 probably is great.

Personally, I don't think this car and the LF-A appeal to the same buyers. LF-A is a front engine GT and this is a mid engine sports car. This car too me takes over the market segment where the NSX left. The affordable (If you can call $100K affordable) mid engine exotic segment. It appeals to those that always dreamed of owning a mid engine Ferrari or Lamborghini but can't afford the $250K price.

where did you ever get the idea that the LF-A would be more GT than sports car?
I agree a proper sports car is mid engined, but you cant look at carbon ceramic brakes and a V10 (as opposed to a smoother V12) as a GT car.

Quick Reply: C&D First Drive: Audi R8