Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2jz-gte

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 10:57 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jz-gte

Not sure if this has been discussed before. Why doesn't Toyota use this awesome engine in any new production cars anymore? Coming from a Supra before my Lexus I love this engine to death. We all know it was lightyears ahead of its time when it came out. Just wondering why did they decide not to use it anymore?
Old 01-17-07, 11:08 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

this was discussed in another thread
2JZ-GTE and the whole 2JZ-GE series are not so fuel efficient anymore in today's standards
plus iron blocks arent that necessary now with composite metal engine blocks

now toyota wants a fuel efficient and green image attached to them
so from now on, we will be able to see a lot of V6 3.5L paired with Synergy Drive technology to give more performance than the 2JZ-GTE
Old 01-17-07, 11:12 AM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Lower manufacturing cost through component sharing. It's difficult to put an inline-6 engine into a FWD car.
Old 01-17-07, 11:17 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mrurmil
We all know it was lightyears ahead of its time when it came out. Just wondering why did they decide not to use it anymore?
It was one hell of a strong motor but the technology was not what you call light years ahead anymore these days.
There are many new motors that are superior to the 2JZ-GTE these days, in terms of fuel efficiency, and emission. For example, 2GR-FSE and BMW's N54 bi turbos motor.

long live 2JZ
Old 01-17-07, 11:33 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 2jz is a good motor...but the bottom end on the 1jz is stronger because of the rod lengths
Old 01-17-07, 11:34 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Yea a 3JZ (3.5L I6) in the new IS would have been nice.
Old 01-17-07, 10:21 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrurmil
Not sure if this has been discussed before. Why doesn't Toyota use this awesome engine in any new production cars anymore? Coming from a Supra before my Lexus I love this engine to death. We all know it was lightyears ahead of its time when it came out. Just wondering why did they decide not to use it anymore?
Because its heavy, its very oblong and doesnt work with common FWD cars out there today... its emissions output is very poor by today's standards, it gets VERY poor gas mileage... the head flows like *** compared to modern heads; it is lacking the setup for DI, etc... many many reasons.

The engine wasn't lightyears ahead of its time. It was just a very very good design. It was based on the strongest of the strong workhorse motors in work vehicles in japan. It is able to handle a ton of power without breaking. Compare the head and airflow capabilities to a modern motor like a K20 head or a E46 M3 motor, etc and it pales in comparison. Not in power output potential blah blah... but if you know anything about how an engine works, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Originally Posted by baddis es
the 2jz is a good motor...but the bottom end on the 1jz is stronger because of the rod lengths

REALLY? Thats awesome about the rods; because the 1jz and 2jz have the SAME RODS. Crank is different along with a different deck height to make the displacement difference.

In the end, the 1jz is nothing but a 2jz with .5L less displacement. It flows less air than a 2jz therefore has less potential power. In stock form it is able to rev higher and have similar airflow; but in the end, it flows less air than a 2jz because of the displacement, therefore it won't make as much power. The heads are too similar to make as much difference as most 1jz fanboys fantasize about. In fact, the 2jz heads (GTE and GE) both flow more. The 1jz-gte head has higher port velocity, but that is from being more restrictive; fine for smaller turbos... but.... yeah you can complete the sentence

But that takes NOTHING away from the motor itself. Its very affordable and has a great powerband for a lightweight car.... namely my 240sx
Old 01-18-07, 08:02 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They still make a 2JZ-FSE.
Old 01-19-07, 02:07 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MSMLexIS
They still make a 2JZ-FSE.
Really? For which vehicle?
Old 01-19-07, 04:30 AM
Koma

Crown Athlete I believe.
Old 01-19-07, 06:24 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
...bla bla bla....

......... most 1jz fanboys fantasize about. In fact, the 2jz heads (GTE and GE) both flow more. The 1jz-gte head has higher port velocity, but that is from being more restrictive; fine for smaller turbos... but.... yeah you can complete the sentence

But that takes NOTHING away from the motor itself. Its very affordable and has a great powerband for a lightweight car.... namely my 240sx
I'm a 1jz fanboy I love the motor for what it is, it revs just like my beater accord. I wouldn't say its better than the 2J but for the price it's the best bang for the buck. And there's always the option of the cheap .5L upgrade with a GE/GTE short block.
Old 01-19-07, 07:44 AM
MSMLexIS
Lexus Champion

2JZ-FSE is in the Brevis and the Progres.
Old 01-19-07, 12:58 PM
@lpher
Lead Lap

What does -FSE mean then?
Old 01-19-07, 08:22 PM
Koma

Economic Direct Injection, SE is Direct Injection, F is economy
Old 01-20-07, 11:38 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cherplex
I'm a 1jz fanboy I love the motor for what it is, it revs just like my beater accord. I wouldn't say its better than the 2J but for the price it's the best bang for the buck. And there's always the option of the cheap .5L upgrade with a GE/GTE short block.
I'm right there with you. I'd love one in either of my cars. But the 2jz is still going to make more power and putting a 1jz head on a 2jz bottom-end will definitely limit its capability.

Quick Reply: 2jz-gte