Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

pulled over for loud exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-07, 07:30 PM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulled over for loud exhaust

So I was on my way to the BWI airport here in MD to pick up a family member. As I'm about 40yrds in the the arrival area, I see a cop walking out into the road. I'm hoping that he isn't coming toward me, but my luck isn't that great. So he pulls me over right as my mother is walking out. So I'm just like damn what next, I already have PPJ for a year ago, I've got a court date next month, now this.

But instead of giving me a ticket for speeding or something like that, he gave me a manditory repair order saying that my exhaust is to loud. I told the officer that I have a stock exhaust and header, which is true. This is the third time I've been pulled over for the samething. I told this to the officer, but of course he didn't care. So what I want to know is has this happened to anyone else in regards to your stock exhaust.
Old 01-10-07, 08:33 PM
trent
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What car do you have??? IS, GS, LS?? I never been pulled over for my stock exhaust on my cars.
Old 01-10-07, 08:35 PM
LexFather

I guess the red light wasn't on at Krispy Kreme this morning!

Old 01-10-07, 10:02 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus? stock exhaust too loud?? give me a break and give Lexus a ticket!!
Old 01-10-07, 10:03 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

how about my GS4 with twin HKS exhaust?
How about my Sc3 TT with 4' straight pipe??
How about my GSR with intake header and greddy???

I never had such probs here...
Old 01-11-07, 02:21 AM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, what car do you have?
Old 01-11-07, 04:34 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should test it for dB. If it actually is under the state mandated law, you can tell him to shove it.
Old 01-11-07, 04:47 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

He has a 1st Gen IS. BWI Airport is run by the MTA Police they are ****** and worse than MD State Troopers.
Old 01-11-07, 06:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

I used to live in DC and have been up to BWI many times and have seen these guys giving tickets (at least once) everytime I went to pick someone up.

I had a friend in Miami this happened to and Metro-Dade nailed him. Stock Mustang 99. However, the officer either must have been a dolt and never heard an exhaust from that car, but gave him the ticket. Friend went to court, cop showed up (he was hoping he wouldn't as always happens), but the county attorney could not prove crap (your tax money at work). She kept trying to stay stuff like, "your honor, we have established and officer .... had established that the exhaust was exceeding the required minimum. Judge wasn't stupid and basically told the young county attorney...with all due respect you haven't established a thing...case dismissed.

Remember, the burden is on them, not you to prove the case.
Old 01-11-07, 06:49 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

around near me its worse...i polished my OEM exhaust on my integra when i had it and i got pulled over for modified exhaust--some cops just are A$$holes when it comes to tickets, they see shiny and immediately its "pull him over"

another one i got was giving me a ticket 3 in the morning for my tints being to dark, its pitch black outside and he's trying to give me a ticket--what sense does that make
Old 01-11-07, 01:11 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

heh.. I had a friend of a friend who got pulled over for an "aftermarket" exhaust.

It wasn't.. He was driving a Celica Tsunami Edition that had the bodykit and nice large chrome exhaust tip. The officer claimed it was aftermarket even though you could buy the exact spec right from the dealership.

He just told that friend of a friend that he'll write a ticket if he found out it was not a factory exhaust (shouldn't be hard, just check toyota.ca lol). My friend joked saying if it was stock, does he get money back from the officer? It didn't work out haha.
Old 01-11-07, 01:23 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nextourer
heh.. I had a friend of a friend who got pulled over for an "aftermarket" exhaust.

It wasn't.. He was driving a Celica Tsunami Edition that had the bodykit and nice large chrome exhaust tip. The officer claimed it was aftermarket even though you could buy the exact spec right from the dealership.

He just told that friend of a friend that he'll write a ticket if he found out it was not a factory exhaust (shouldn't be hard, just check toyota.ca lol). My friend joked saying if it was stock, does he get money back from the officer? It didn't work out haha.
Tsunami Edition? We didn't get that stateside apparently.
Old 01-11-07, 01:44 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 164 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by baddis es
around near me its worse...i polished my OEM exhaust on my integra when i had it and i got pulled over for modified exhaust--some cops just are A$$holes when it comes to tickets, they see shiny and immediately its "pull him over"

another one i got was giving me a ticket 3 in the morning for my tints being to dark, its pitch black outside and he's trying to give me a ticket--what sense does that make
I am from Florida (but Mexico does not care a single bit about mufflers, sound, etc. a pure joy) and if you check out the photo below, notice how I have a dark muffler with the tips toned down. As many have heard in the links to my track videos, such as this solo run, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u0ZYT0bFwg I am sure the police would have a field day, but not down here. Fortunately, I plan to do a turbo soon so that should quiet things down. Other thing would be a Flowmaster Resonator. The rule with emissions testing down here, is that you can do all the performance modifications you want (unlike California) and as long as you pass, you're ok.
Attached Thumbnails pulled over for loud exhaust-img_1467.jpg  
Old 01-11-07, 06:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I am from Florida (but Mexico does not care a single bit about mufflers, sound, etc. a pure joy) and if you check out the photo below, notice how I have a dark muffler with the tips toned down. As many have heard in the links to my track videos, such as this solo run, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u0ZYT0bFwg I am sure the police would have a field day, but not down here. Fortunately, I plan to do a turbo soon so that should quiet things down. Other thing would be a Flowmaster Resonator. The rule with emissions testing down here, is that you can do all the performance modifications you want (unlike California) and as long as you pass, you're ok.
Thats pretty cool!