Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

subie fanatics???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-06, 09:05 PM
cambo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subie fanatics???

hey i dont know how many of you guys are big subaru fans...but i know i love them! haha im probably gonna stop my SC400 project an build up/swap an impreza L.... heres what i want the turn out to be. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1110617 ....tell me what you guys think!!!
Old 11-27-06, 10:13 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

nice man! I love subies, hence why I have one! I'm thinking of dropping a 02-03 wrx engine in my legacy, but that will be after I finish my 94 rx7 project.
Old 11-27-06, 10:39 PM
cambo
Rookie

i wanna pick up an impreza L an pick up a JDM wrx ver. 4 front clip an get it fully instaleld for like 3g for parts an labor...im starting to get everything priced out by a local shop.
Old 11-27-06, 11:34 PM
cambo
Rookie

DriftNsc3- the shop that im having price stuff out...they build some sick EJ22T motors...you should drop one of those in...that would HAULLLL!!!
Old 11-28-06, 06:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah, I'm a subie fan...but for practical rather than high-performance reasons. They make the best AWD systems in the $35,000 and under class because not only is it durable and well-proved, but is also simpler than other AWD systems with transverse-mount engines. The Subaru system uses the horizontal ( flat ) four and six engines, which are light and mounted relatively low in the chassis for stability and handling, and has the output going straight beck to the transmission, final-drive, and front AWD hardware behind it without the need for extra devices to re-route the power and torque like on the RAV-4, CR-V, Outlander, Tuscon / Santa Fe, etc......
Subaru also uses five different center differentials depending on the engine engine and transmission ( see their web site for details ).

I've long considered Subies some of the best winter cars for the money ( see my recent list of recomended snow vehicles ), but this year the brand-new Suzuki SX4 steals some of the thunder as probably the best AWD entry-level value...SX4's start at only 15-16K and have a variable AWD system that can be turned off for high-traction conditions, thereby saving gas and giving better acceleration.

As far as dropping a WRX mill into your Legacy, Subaru has already more or less done that for you with the Legacy GT. It uses a 2.5 flat-4 turbo with 250 HP / 250 ft.-lbs. of torque, and was designed for the vehicle and installed at the factory...you won't have any guesswork doing it yourself and the chances for error. Consider a Legacy GT if thet is the way you want to go.

Other than that, my only caution on Subaru engines is to avoid the 1999-2002 2.5i flat-4 non turbo. Head gaskets are a known issue with that engine in several model years, but particularly from 1999 to 2002. In 2003 Subaru redesigned the head gaskets, and they have ben much more reliable. A coolant conditioner.....now used in all new Subarus at the factory.....is available for the 1999-2002 2.5's that will extend their original warranties to 8 years.

And welcome to Club Lexus. I had a Lexus IS300 when I first joined CL, and stayed on even when I got my Subie ( a 2006 Outback ), simply because there is no better auto chat forum. There are a number of Subaru owner forums out there ( I belong to one or two myself and sometimes post on them ) but none of them can compare with CL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-28-06 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-28-06, 07:21 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As far as dropping a WRX mill into your Legacy, Subaru has already more or less done that for you with the Legacy GT. It uses a 2.5 flat-4 turbo with 250 HP / 250 ft.-lbs. of torque, and was designed for the vehicle and installed at the factory...you won't have any guesswork doing it yourself and the chances for error. Consider a Legacy GT if thet is the way you want to go.

Other than that, my only caution on Subaru engines is to avoid the 1999-2002 2.5i flat-4 non turbo. Head gaskets are a known issue with that engine in several model years, but particularly from 1999 to 2002. In 2003 Subaru redesigned the head gaskets, and they have ben much more reliable. A coolant conditioner.....now used in all new Subarus at the factory.....is available for the 1999-2002 2.5's that will extend their original warranties to 8 years.
When did the Legacy GT first come to market?

Our daily driver is a 97 Maxima SE (my wife mainly drives this car) and I want to eventually get rid of it (it will start falling apart very soon) and get her a Subie mainly for the reasons you mentioned in this thread.

However the only Subie I like is the Legacy GT (I can't stand the looks of the rest of the Subies - they are such ugly cars) and was just curious to know when they came out and which particular model to get (assuming they came in different versions). Of course AWD would be preferable for the couple of times a year in the winter when it is needed.
Old 11-28-06, 10:30 AM
cambo
Rookie

And welcome to Club Lexus. I had a Lexus IS300 when I first joined CL, and stayed on even when I got my Subie ( a 2006 Outback ), simply because there is no better auto chat forum. There are a number of Subaru owner forums out there ( I belong to one or two myself and sometimes post on them ) but none of them can compare with CL.[/QUOTE]

agreed club lexus is awseom...i do nasioc and rs25.com and scoobynet there pretty cool but not as coo las CL! haha
Old 11-28-06, 02:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
When did the Legacy GT first come to market?
2005, I believe. The Legacy and Outback were given a major redesign that year, with a major upgrade in interior quality. The new Legacy GT...and the Turbo Outback XT....were given a turbo, premium-fuel version of the rather ubiquitous Subaru 2.5i flat-four, making 250 HP and 250 ft-lbs. of torque.
The stock Legacy GT, though, like the WRX and unlike the turbo Outbacks, and being primarily a sports sedan rather than a serious winter-road eater, came factory-equipped with tires that were more conducive to dry-weather performance than for climbing ski slopes. if you want your Legacy GT to be a winter snow-bunny as well you may have to invest in a set of more winter-appropriate tires. The Turbo Outbacks don't have that problem because unlike the Turbo Legacys, they come from the factory with more winter-appropriate tires.....and a lot more ground clearance for deep snow.
Old 11-28-06, 05:46 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cambo
DriftNsc3- the shop that im having price stuff out...they build some sick EJ22T motors...you should drop one of those in...that would HAULLLL!!!
Would that lead you to a blown engine after several runs? What's the reputation of that set up on the street?
Old 11-28-06, 06:11 PM
DriftNsc3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
2005, I believe. The Legacy and Outback were given a major redesign that year, with a major upgrade in interior quality. The new Legacy GT...and the Turbo Outback XT....were given a turbo, premium-fuel version of the rather ubiquitous Subaru 2.5i flat-four, making 250 HP and 250 ft-lbs. of torque.
The stock Legacy GT, though, like the WRX and unlike the turbo Outbacks, and being primarily a sports sedan rather than a serious winter-road eater, came factory-equipped with tires that were more conducive to dry-weather performance than for climbing ski slopes. if you want your Legacy GT to be a winter snow-bunny as well you may have to invest in a set of more winter-appropriate tires. The Turbo Outbacks don't have that problem because unlike the Turbo Legacys, they come from the factory with more winter-appropriate tires.....and a lot more ground clearance for deep snow.
Nope......I've read all of your reviews on all types of cars and read eveything here is this thread to and it is my honor to be the one to correct you, lol. They had a 1996 Legacy GT, turbo'd, AWD, manual or auto, sedan. They go for about 4-6k with decent milage on them.
I would love a new Legacy gt but I just can't afford it. I'll just swap my old Legacy and have fun with it.
Old 11-28-06, 07:40 PM
cambo
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2000gs300
Would that lead you to a blown engine after several runs? What's the reputation of that set up on the street?
from what ive read...the ej22t's that the shop Frantic4 over here builds are very durable. my friend just got his jdm STI swapped impreza L wagon a few weeks ago and it pretty much hauls.
Old 11-28-06, 07:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DriftNsc3
Nope......I've read all of your reviews on all types of cars and read eveything here is this thread to and it is my honor to be the one to correct you, lol. They had a 1996 Legacy GT, turbo'd, AWD, manual or auto, sedan. They go for about 4-6k with decent milage on them.
I would love a new Legacy gt but I just can't afford it. I'll just swap my old Legacy and have fun with it.
I guess it depends on what needs " correcting ". Hameed asked when the Legacy GT first came to market. I assumed he was speaking of the present-generation one, which bowed in 2005.
But you have a point. I didn't remember the old turbo Legacy from 1996, and they obviously did not build one for a number of years after that. When the AWD WRX, and later the Sti and Evo, bowed in the early 2000's, they took a lot of the Legacy GT's potential market of buyers.......except that today, the Legacy GT, and to a lesser extent the AWD MazdaSpeed 6.......are considered Evos and STi's for adults.
Old 11-28-06, 09:03 PM
cambo
Rookie

mmmmmmm id like a 2007 Legacy GT Spec-B...those are pretty bad as$.
Old 11-28-06, 09:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cambo
mmmmmmm id like a 2007 Legacy GT Spec-B...those are pretty bad as$.
You may or may not be able to get one.....as I understand it, only some 500 of them are being built.
Old 11-28-06, 09:50 PM
cambo
Rookie

yeaa...one of which is a black undercover police car in what i think is monroe, wa? so 499 left. lol

Quick Reply: subie fanatics???