Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

got a ticket today.. cop put wrong zip code.. can I beat it??

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 01:17 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

last ticket I got the officer wrote "ARISTO"...lol
Old 08-28-06, 02:18 PM
Incendiary
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXISM
last ticket I got the officer wrote "ARISTO"...lol
Did you contest?

I beat a parking ticket in NYC because my plate expiration date was noted as "N/S" (not shown), despite the fact that it was shown. But that was a parking ticket and it was in the city.
Old 08-28-06, 02:21 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by clubaddict
I just got a ticket today in long island...
home is in staten island, and the cop wrote a ticket with the correct street address, city, state but wrong zip code(he wrote the zip code for long island.. about 80 miles away from the correct zip.)

The cop said I was speeding, ran a stop sign and I didnt have my license on me(left it at home).. pretty much he said he was giving me a break by giving me a ticket for the stop sign only...

would I be able to beat the ticket because of the zip code error?
depends on the state laws, but in 90% of the cases, yes you have to still pay it. I would just fight it, you're bound to win, just post pone it once or twice and you'll get off, or at the least get a reduced fine by talking to judge.
Old 08-28-06, 09:12 PM
clubaddict
Driver

Originally Posted by toy4two
depends on the state laws, but in 90% of the cases, yes you have to still pay it. I would just fight it, you're bound to win, just post pone it once or twice and you'll get off, or at the least get a reduced fine by talking to judge.

thing is the cop works at a school campus that i frequent alot.. so im afraid he may just start targeting me... it was summertime so the campus is absolutely dead... the cop actually radioed 2 other cars to come over at the time... guess they had nothing to do...
you think its worth it to get a lawyer? anyone have any referrals? anyone know of any lawyers that will work based on whether they win or not?
the ticket is $40+ $50 surcharge...
how much do you think insurance will go up over the term of the increase if it goes on my record?
Old 08-29-06, 06:53 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you know you're going to see the cop again then don't put him through the hassle. He gave you a break already, just pay the ticket. $90 for a stop sign ticket is nowhere near what you could be going through for a speeding ticket. Change up your driving habits in the area where you think you'll run into him again.

He could have put you through the system for not having your license on you, no ID is an arrestable offense in post 9/11 NYC.

But if you go to court, you're basically going to be calling someone who gave you a break and who you will see again a liar, do you really want that headache?
Old 08-29-06, 07:14 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It is absolutely essential you carry your license when you drive. Lack of ID sets off so many alarms in a cop's mind, I can't tell you. Most folks simply forget, like you did - but there are large numbers who don't carry ID because they are up to something nefarious and think they can slip away from an arrest by giving a false name. Add to these the parolees, junkies, and other denizens of the dark that don't want their records run - and you have a pretty good crowd . . . one you wouldn't want to be associated with!

Like oohpapi said, it's a post-9/11 world. Everyone's entitled to be a little jumpy.
Old 09-02-06, 11:44 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

My traffic lawyer gets me off for $100-120 a ticket. He doesn't work with people that go over 100MPH. He just got my friend off a running a stop sign ticket, and the cop actually showed up.

If its only $90 and you don't get points, I say pay it. If you were being charged California rates, then I would say fight it all the way. That same ticket would have cost you $350 in California. It makes sense to go to court in California because their ticket prices are so much higher than the rest of the US.
Old 09-02-06, 03:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
It is absolutely essential you carry your license when you drive. Lack of ID sets off so many alarms in a cop's mind, I can't tell you. Most folks simply forget, like you did - but there are large numbers who don't carry ID because they are up to something nefarious and think they can slip away from an arrest by giving a false name. Add to these the parolees, junkies, and other denizens of the dark that don't want their records run - and you have a pretty good crowd . . . one you wouldn't want to be associated with!

Having no formal ID doesn't necessarily mean that the cops can't indentify you. All they need is one fingerprint, and there isn't much you can do about that, especially if there is already is an official one on file. Nowadays almost everything is linked together nationwide by crime computers.
Old 09-02-06, 09:20 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Having no formal ID doesn't necessarily mean that the cops can't indentify you. All they need is one fingerprint, and there isn't much you can do about that, especially if there is already is an official one on file. Nowadays almost everything is linked together nationwide by crime computers.
actually here in California I had some clown up in Nor Cal using my name and address everytime he was pulled over. The court gave ME the failure to appear. When I asked if they ID'd the guy they said the perp didn't have ID, they just took down the info they told him. So I can tell you from experience you can tell a cop you are Joe Smith and they believe it. They don't take finger prints for a traffic stop, and they don't haul anyone to jail.
Old 09-02-06, 10:44 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They should catch that guy, using his license plate!
Old 09-04-06, 11:06 AM
LexFather

Not gonna beat it...

Old 09-06-06, 11:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
actually here in California I had some clown up in Nor Cal using my name and address everytime he was pulled over. The court gave ME the failure to appear. When I asked if they ID'd the guy they said the perp didn't have ID, they just took down the info they told him. So I can tell you from experience you can tell a cop you are Joe Smith and they believe it. They don't take finger prints for a traffic stop, and they don't haul anyone to jail.
that's pretty lame how they just trust what you say....