Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chip Foose to build a limited run of modernized Challengers

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-06, 08:26 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Chip Foose to build a limited run of modernized Challengers

Chip’s Challenger
Foose to build a limited run of modernized Challengers

AutoWeek | Published 06/12/06, 11:20 am et

Designer extraordinaire Chip Foose and Texas-based Unique Performance will build a limited run of cars based on the 1970 Plymouth Challenger. Production begins in July to transform 1970 and 1971 Challengers into modern muscle cars equipped with Hemi engines and five-speed manual transmissions, along with new wheels, tires, suspensions and interiors.

PRESS RELEASE:
Chip Foose and Unique Performance create MOPAR madness with limited edition ’70 Challenger

Team to Build A Handful of HEMI-Powered American Supercars

DALLAS – June 10, 2006 – A new line of limited edition supercars based on the 1970 HEMI Challenger from Unique Performance and Foose Design will stoke the imaginations of MOPAR fans worldwide. The two companies will turn a limited number of the Plymouths into world-class performance machines with ultra-cool design and 21st century speed technology. The prototype will be completed by June 15, 2006, and production will begin in July. Unique Performance is the premier manufacturer of signature series American muscle cars, trucks and motorcycles.

“The response to our Foose ’69 Camaro was fantastic, which led to an outpouring of requests for a similar car from MOPAR fans,” said Unique Performance President and CEO Douglas Hasty. “Our 1970 Challenger program is designed to fulfill those wishes with a very, very small run of an even more exclusive MOPAR. Working with Chip, our team will turn a handful of these vintage muscle cars into pink slip winning, Z06 eating supercars.”

The team will transform 1970 and 1971 Challengers with contemporary wheels, engines, suspensions, transmissions and interiors. Each Foose Challenger will be clad in DuPont’s Hot Hues™ custom finish and have a sleek custom interior. Either a 347 c.i.d. HEMI small block or a 426 c.i.d HEMI big block can be mated to the TKO 5-speed transmission. The car will feature a Unique Performance Parts rear suspension, 4-wheel disc Wilwood Brakes, Foose 18” wheels and BF Goodrich tires. Styling cues include Foose emblems, a custom front grill, shaved bumpers and custom hood. Each car will have a unique serial number for documentation purposes.

“I’ve always loved the lines of the ’70 Challenger,” stated Chip Foose. “It may be the quintessential American muscle car from that period. We’re adding contemporary speed gear and updating the Challenger’s style to redefine the vintage car as the ultimate limited edition MOPAR.”

Award-winning Chip Foose penned the Foose Challenger. He is the creative head and driving force behind the respected automotive and product development company Foose Design (www.chipfoose.com). Headquartered in Huntington Beach, Calif., it specializes in illustration, graphics, ideation model making, surfacing and complete construction of automobiles and automobile-related products.

“Nobody does it better than Unique Performance and Chip Foose,” added Hasty. “Every car is a piece of art that is equally at home on the track, street or a Concours. With sizzling design and supercar capabilities, the new HEMI powered Foose Challenger will rocket past the pretenders on the road. It’s the ‘bad to the bone’ MOPAR that fans have wanted for the last 35 years.”

Unique Performance, which began as a hot rod shop 20 years ago, has evolved into a premier limited volume auto production manufacturer. Unique Performance manufactures the Shelby G.T.500E and G.T.350SR continuation cars based on vintage Ford Mustangs, as well as the Foose ’69 Camaro. The company offers a line of Foose designed cars based on the current Ford Mustang in cooperation with Quantum Fuel Systems Technologies Worldwide.
Old 06-13-06, 10:15 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks nice, but I'm more of a fan of a fully restored classic, rather than a modernized one. I'm not old enough to remember them running around the road, but I just dont like the look when you combine the new with the old. Just my thoughts...
Old 06-13-06, 10:18 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stage3
It looks nice, but I'm more of a fan of a fully restored classic, rather than a modernized one. I'm not old enough to remember them running around the road, but I just dont like the look when you combine the new with the old. Just my thoughts...
I agree 100%!

Scott
Old 06-13-06, 11:47 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really a fan of the paint scheme, but I agree with Stage3. If I was to buy one of these I would prefer a restored version rather than an updated version.
Old 06-13-06, 11:51 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 315 Likes on 193 Posts

I like this idea a lot! A retro style with modern mechanicals! Just perfect!

I didn't grow up in North America so never saw these cars until I came here 18 years ago. I don't like the idea of a restored classic with those ugly wheels, nasty brakes and suspension. I like the exterior styling, so combine that with modern brakes, suspension etc, this is simply automotive nirvana!
Old 06-13-06, 11:53 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

I think the concept is interesting but varies with individual if they want a modern or original. With pop's '63, Fairlane, there is no way I'd want to drive it with the 4 wheel drums, no A/C or updated seat belts minimal.

Last week, I saw one of the Overhauling Camaro's on the N 55 fwy. The large wheels looked a bit cartoonish though.
Old 06-14-06, 03:57 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
I like this idea a lot! A retro style with modern mechanicals! Just perfect!

I didn't grow up in North America so never saw these cars until I came here 18 years ago. I don't like the idea of a restored classic with those ugly wheels, nasty brakes and suspension. I like the exterior styling, so combine that with modern brakes, suspension etc, this is simply automotive nirvana!

it's called the new Mustang and up coming Challenger and Camaro.
Old 06-14-06, 04:11 PM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stage3
restored classics are nice to look at... but i'd take a modernized classic over a stock 30-40 year old car any day. i think if you actually drove a restored classic around on a daily basis you would quickly change your mind. Don't get me wrong, i love my fully stock 66 mustang GT... but no power steering, no power brakes, no handling, no AC, loud rattles, smell of gas and oil = no comfort and most important of all..... safety! So many times have I almost died in my mustang do to the brakes. Or lack there of... Maybe if it was just a weekend car, a restored classic would be better. But mine was daily driven.

Originally Posted by RA40
I think the concept is interesting but varies with individual if they want a modern or original. With pop's '63, Fairlane, there is no way I'd want to drive it with the 4 wheel drums, no A/C or updated seat belts minimal.
hehehe you beat me to the point.

Last edited by BMwhat?; 06-14-06 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-15-06, 05:29 PM
Indio
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Not really a fan of the paint scheme, but I agree with Stage3. If I was to buy one of these I would prefer a restored version rather than an updated version.

Rich I doubt that paint scheme will be used, that was the theme for a Challenger restored on Overhaulin' a couple of years ago, I'm not a fan of it either.

These cars were Dodges not Plymouths, whoever wrote the article shoul have caught that.