Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: 2008 Chrysler Minivan

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-06, 07:57 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Spy Shots: 2008 Chrysler Minivan

Spy Shots: 2008 Chrysler Minivan

When you're on the prowl for prototypes, a flapping car cover is one thing that definitely catches your eye. That's exactly what we saw as we were checking up on a DaimlerChrysler pilot production facility - two engineers placing a cover on a remarkably well-finished prototype for Chrysler's next minivan.

We managed to snap this photo just before they got the cover in place. This is the first time we have seen a minivan test vehicle without the heavy front and rear camouflage and the grid-like body tape that usually covers every inch of most Dodge and Chrysler prototypes. We have applied some minor computer retouching to clean up the paint, and finalize the trim and taillights, but 98 percent of the prototype in this photo is exactly as it was photographed. That means these are the first and only shots to show the true roofline, tailgate, and rear-pillar design of the DaimlerChrysler's new minivan. These shots also show the first visual proof that the new vans will get roll-down windows on its sliding doors to match its competitors from Mazda, Honda, and Toyota.

The new Chrysler minivans will be less jellybean-shaped, with a more upright D-pillar. The rear tailgate and the backlight are more squared off than the current van, with at least a hint of the Chrysler 300C and Dodge Magnum creeping into the new design. -KGP Photography
Old 05-10-06, 08:03 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

ha ha looks like that one guy is pointing out the camera man...
Old 05-10-06, 10:27 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the fornt looks like the srt-caliber, i think it might be appealing--but still honda/toyota over any US van anyday
Old 05-10-06, 11:05 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeep Commander tails. Meh. It's a minivan. Can't get too excited about it.
The Toyota Alphard is by far the hottest minivan.
Old 05-10-06, 10:20 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

A spy photo of the next left lane bandit coming to a freeway near you. Maybe they can work on the left turn signal and have it time out after being on for 5-10 minutes.
Old 05-10-06, 10:34 PM
videcormeum
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know Chrysler was in the monster truck business.

M.
Attached Thumbnails Spy Shots: 2008 Chrysler Minivan-stuff.jpg  
Old 05-10-06, 11:16 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by link13
A spy photo of the next left lane bandit coming to a freeway near you. Maybe they can work on the left turn signal and have it time out after being on for 5-10 minutes.
LMFAO you know the deal.
Old 05-23-06, 06:55 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Chrysler's minivan makeovers

By Ed Hellwig Email | Blog

Date posted: 05-22-2006

We've spotted prototypes of the 2008 Chrysler Town and Country before, but never with this kind of detail. We'll admit up front that some of the finer points of these pictures have been digitally enhanced. All the guesswork is based on photos of actual prototypes, however, so what you see in these spy photos is pretty close to what the 2008 Chrysler Town and Country, and its 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan twin, will look like when they arrive next year.

Our initial shots of these prototypes from several months ago made it look like Chrysler was going for an evolutionary design this time around instead of a heavy redesign. These new details, however, point to more dramatic changes. Most noticeable is the more upright shape to the D-pillars which gives the vehicle a boxier look from behind. This not only changes the whole profile of the minivan, it allows Chrysler to expand interior volume without adding to the Town and Country's already sizable length.

Another big change in store is the use of roll-down windows for the second row. This has become a standard feature of most import minivans and Chrysler wasn't about to miss the opportunity to add the sought-after feature. Although not new, this prototype also has fold-out vent windows in the third row.

Our only interior shot of the Town and Country is a little hazy but there are a few notable details. A mix of metallic and wood trim will be used to accent what looks to be a three-tone dash. Chrysler also appears to be maximizing interior storage space as the driver's door not only has a deep storage bin it also looks to have an integrated storage pocket of some kind in the upper section just below the armrest. In back, the well-received Stow 'n Go folding seats introduced on the current-generation Town and Country are expected to offer a power-fold feature for even easier operation.

Look for the introduction of both the 2008 Chrysler Town and Country and 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan at the Detroit auto show in January.

source : edmunds
Old 05-23-06, 07:05 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I may be wrong here as I have very little knowledge on minivans- - but I think most mini van owners car less of the exterior styling and more on safety and features. I mean they are buying a mini van after all.
That said the pictures above are a bit of a let down as I would have expected something with more excitement from the company that is putting out other unique designs.
Lee
Old 05-23-06, 10:50 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Do you think we can lobby to get Chrysler to leave the camo on the minivan when it comes to market? Maybe they could attract the adventure soccer mom buyer crowd and we would be spared the eyesore. A win-win.
Old 05-30-06, 01:43 PM
mmahamm
Driver

Originally Posted by link13
Chrysler vans have had a "turn signal on" chime for at least 11 years.
Old 05-30-06, 01:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I hope they start using some better hardware on these vehicles. Besides the well-known transmission failures with the 4-speed UltraDrive, these vans have had a history of complete junk for things like door locks, window mechanisms, power mirrors, glove box doors, seat adjusters, etc......
Old 05-30-06, 03:53 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I hope they start using some better hardware on these vehicles. Besides the well-known transmission failures with the 4-speed UltraDrive, these vans have had a history of complete junk for things like door locks, window mechanisms, power mirrors, glove box doors, seat adjusters, etc......
You're right. My aunt and uncle own one and I swear every time I see it there's a new interior part either broken or missing. Looks like the photographer got busted by the guy on the left

First thing I noticed though was that rear window that's down into the window instead of just popping out. I'm amazed that nobody's done this yet.