Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Lucerne spy pic (Lesabre replacement)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-05, 08:16 PM
LexFather

Default Buick Lucerne spy pic (Lesabre replacement)

I doubt it will get much interest but the interior is really nice. Great work Buick!

Old 01-28-05, 08:54 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Interior does look quite nice 1SICK I've heard the LeSabre replacement is going back to RWD or is that just a rumour?
Old 01-28-05, 10:26 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not a bad interior

but since it is competing with the avalon, i think the avalon is steps above
Old 01-28-05, 11:54 PM
sweetsc400
Lead Lap

Kinda reminds me of a Honda interior. . . Me likes.
Old 01-29-05, 07:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Buicks have needed improvements in the fit-and-finish area for many years now. This interior, along with the Lacrosse's, seems to address at least part of it, although we can only judge from one picture here without actually seeing it for real. The dash and gauges have somewhat of a Jaguar look, without quite as much wood, though the console-mounted shift lever looks a little out of place for a big Buick, where they are usually column-mounted. And I wish that manufacturers would stop using those ziz-zag gated shift patterns ( I see there is another new one here) and go back to the straight forward-and-back ones...with maybe a side gate for the sport manual mode. They were much easier, quicker, and simpler to use...and they put less wear on the shift linkage itself.

I don't know why so many car enthusiasts and young people laugh and sneer at big Buicks. Along with minivans, they are almost universally panned and joked about in the automotive press. All you hear is the same crap and the same nonsense over and over again......" Old Farts"........."Geezer-mobiles"............"Grampa /Grandma cars"............"Wallow-mobiles"............."Floatsy-Woatsy"..........."AARP Specials", etc.....
Once again we get back to the old issue of automotive stereotyping, and I've posted many times on what a bunch of idiotic nonsense it is. One of the things in the auto world that really irks me is ignorance...and this is a prime example of it. A large, heavy car with softer suspension and tires and with good sound insulation can be enjoyed by a person of ANY age, not just those 65 and up....especially when you are tired at the end of a hard working day. Heck, even as a teen-ager, I enjoyed driving them when I was looking for comfort. My father worked for the old Philco-Ford Corporation after he retired from the military and often brought home big, soft, full-size Mercurys and Lincolns from the company fleet....and I would get to drive them. I was a good driver for a 17-year-old and could be trusted with the company cars....I never wrecked one. (Of course, I also liked the muscle cars, too....which vere very popular back then)
So...my point is.....if you are going to carve up a mountain road or snake through twisties, take the Miata or Honda S2000. If you want to relax or drive a long distance in comfort....especially on rough roads...... take the Buick....or the LS430.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-29-05 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-29-05, 08:20 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Buicks have needed improvements in the fit-and-finish area for many years now. This interior, along with the Lacrosse's, seems to address at least part of it, although we can only judge from one picture here without actually seeing it for real. The dash and gauges have somewhat of a Jaguar look, without quite as much wood, though the console-mounted shift lever looks a little out of place for a big Buick, where they are usually column-mounted. And I wish that manufacturers would stop using those ziz-zag gated shift patterns ( I see there is another new one here) and go back to the straight forward-and-back ones...with maybe a side gate for the sport manual mode. They were much easier, quicker, and simpler to use...and they put less wear on the shift linkage itself.

I don't know why so many car enthusiasts and young people laugh and sneer at big Buicks. Along with minivans, they are almost universally panned and joked about in the automotive press. All you hear is the same crap and the same nonsense over and over again......" Old Farts"........."Geezer-mobiles"............"Grampa /Grandma cars"............"Wallow-mobiles"............."Floatsy-Woatsy"..........."AARP Specials", etc.....
Once again we get back to the old issue of automotive stereotyping, and I've posted many times on what a bunch of idiotic nonsense it is. One of the things in the auto world that really irks me is ignorance...and this is a prime example of it. A large, heavy car with softer suspension and tires and with good sound insulation can be enjoyed by a person of ANY age, not just those 65 and up....especially when you are tired at the end of a hard working day. Heck, even as a teen-ager, I enjoyed driving them when I was looking for comfort. My father worked for the old Philco-Ford Corporation after he retired from the military and often brought home big, soft, full-size Mercurys and Lincolns from the company fleet....and I would get to drive them. I was a good driver for a 17-year-old and could be trusted with the company cars....I never wrecked one. (Of course, I also liked the muscle cars, too....which vere very popular back then)
So...my point is.....if you are going to carve up a mountain road or snake through twisties, take the Miata or Honda S2000. If you want to relax or drive a long distance in comfort....especially on rough roads...... take the Buick....or the LS430.
Buick slowly has been changing their perspectives on what you mention mm........thy know that the older generation & baby boomers won't live forever & has made changes to their line up accordingly. They have been conservative thus far, so not to aleinate their main customer base, but at the same time try & lure yonger buyers into their showrooms.......statistics have shown that it is working albeit slowly. I have no problems with Buick personally......I'm 28 & use to drive a Riviera......loved that car!
Old 01-29-05, 08:43 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

That really does not look like a GM interior! Good for them; they're learning!
Old 01-29-05, 01:01 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

the Lucerne comes out one yr prior to the new ES, as usual GM is behind.
Old 01-29-05, 02:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Buick slowly has been changing their perspectives on what you mention mm........thy know that the older generation & baby boomers won't live forever & has made changes to their line up accordingly. They have been conservative thus far, so not to aleinate their main customer base, but at the same time try & lure yonger buyers into their showrooms.......statistics have shown that it is working albeit slowly. I have no problems with Buick personally......I'm 28 & use to drive a Riviera......loved that car!
Understand your point, Lexusfreak. Cadillac is doing the same thing and generally trying to turn their cars into American BMW's...with some success. The problem is that it alienates those who like traditional American soft-riders and grew up with them....and this type of car is getting harder and harder to find each year. The Town Car is probably the closest thing still on the market. Even the few like the Town Car still left are getting stiffer suspensions, quicker steering, and firmer, lower-profile tires that take away from the car's character.
Take the Acura RL as another example. Up till this year it was a nice, softly-sprung, quiet cruiser. No more...it is now an AWD Japanese BMW-imitating sport-sedan with a much firmer chassis.

Though, like I said, I don't agree with auto stereotypes, the fact is that most of today's younger persons and so-called "enthusiasts" just don't want that type of car and make fun of them.....RIGHT NOW.

BUT...and here's the key: Today's youth is tomorrow's older folks. You correctly note that Baby Boomers and the World War II generation won't live forever....but neither will today's Generation X and Y. In another 10-15 years today's 25-30 year-olds are going to start to feel the effects of advancing age.....the beginnings of arthritis, weak backs, stiff joints, etc..... then THEY may change their minds and decide that they are tired of low, stiffly-sprung and noisy sports machines and THEY want a nice, soft, comfortable cruiser....and none will be available because the automakers decided to neglect them and do away with them.

So, in the end, what good does it do to cater SO throughly to younger, sport-oriented buyers that you won't have anything for them in a decade or so when they'll want something different? And something ELSE that is being ignored is the fact that the older the car buyer, (up to a point) the more money he / she has to spend on a car. So by ignoring them you ignore your richest potential customer base.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not necessarily trying to promote "geezerism" here or say that everybody should be driving Park Avenues and Town Cars. They aren't necessarily the cars for me either. But I AM pointing out that the people who DO like them....young and old......are foolishly being ignored more and more each year, by both the manufacturers and the automotive press.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-29-05 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-29-05, 04:20 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Not a bad interior, however compared to cars in its price range, ie Avalon, it gets blown away.
Old 01-29-05, 05:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by magneto112
Not a bad interior, however compared to cars in its price range, ie Avalon, it gets blown away.
Sorry...I got a little off-topic and long-winded with my long sermon there.

Anyhow, magneto, I agree the interior looks nice in the picture, but we'll probably have to wait to actually see the car close-up and examine it personally to really accurately make a judgement. Same with the Avalon....but the new Avalon, just from the pictures, IMO has a rather plain-looking interior for a Toyota flagship, although, in the Toyota tradition, no doubt well-screwed together. For one thing, though, it could use some more wood paneling instead of just those thin little strips.

The Chrysler 300C was a good example of this.....a dynamite-looking interior in pictures and photo-ops, but when you actually SIT an it and feel around you, you see how cheaply it is made....just a lot of flimsy parts and cheap materials covered with a glitzy-looking finish.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-29-05 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-29-05, 09:50 PM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sorry...I got a little off-topic and long-winded with my long sermon there.

Anyhow, magneto, I agree the interior looks nice in the picture, but we'll probably have to wait to actually see the car close-up and examine it personally to really accurately make a judgement. Same with the Avalon....but the new Avalon, just from the pictures, IMO has a rather plain-looking interior for a Toyota flagship, although, in the Toyota tradition, no doubt well-screwed together. For one thing, though, it could use some more wood paneling instead of just those thin little strips.
not sure which trim of the interior we saw, but i think it might have something to do with toyota trying to get the avalon with a lower buying age then it has, i think it is trying the sporty look
Old 02-09-05, 01:17 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

2006 BUICK LUCERNE STRENGTHENS NEW DIRECTION FOR DIVISION

CHICAGO – The 2006 Buick Lucerne captures GM’s commitment to reshape Buick’s model line with vehicles that have elegant designs, premium interiors and exceptional levels of power, comfort, quietness and quality. This new front-wheel drive sedan brings a fresh approach to the entry luxury segment by combining high-level technology and luxury features with a spacious interior.

“The all-new Lucerne marks a significant milestone for Buick,” said General Manager John Larson. “We’re in the process of rolling out one of the most aggressive product programs in Buick history, with Lucerne being the third new Buick launched in just over a year. We expect the Lucerne – along with LaCrosse and Terraza – to appeal to many new customers and account for approximately 75 percent of Buick sales.”

Technology you expect in a luxury car
Lucerne is the first Buick offering Magnetic Ride Control, paired with StabiliTrak, to enhance ride performance. Features such as remote start, heated washer fluid, rain sensing wipers and DVD map or off-board navigation enhance safety and security. Buick’s definition of comfort grows with heated/cooled seats and the 245-watt Harman Kardon nine-speaker audio system.

V-8 power returns to Buick cars
The Buick Rainier SUV brought V-8 power back to the division, and Lucerne is the first Buick car to offer V-8 power in a decade. The V-8 features a 4.6L, 32-valve dual overhead cam engine, estimated at 275 horsepower. The 3800 Series III V-6 is rated at 195 horsepower. The V-6 engine is Super Ultra Low Emissions compliant and, like the V-8, features Electronic Throttle Control, which seamlessly matches driver input with engine response and overall fuel efficiency.

Strong design direction
From its capable stance and tautly contoured body to its interior refinement and technology-driven, responsive ride, Lucerne reinforces Buick’s reputation for quality. Lucerne’s sleek new shape starts with a new “waterfall” grille, flanked by polycarbonate and chrome headlamp modules. Lucerne’s rakish, 60-degree windshield leads into a roofline that flows into a “faster” 70-degree rear window angle to the deck lid. All body gaps are tight, and tighter wheel to wheel-opening relationships give the visual cues today’s customers want.

Expertly crafted, quiet interior
Lucerne’s interior appointments underscore the Buick tradition of comfort, elegance and spaciousness, with quality detail and fit of every interrelating surface. As with the exterior, all gaps are tight to create a seamless harmony between all elements.
Lucerne models will benefit from Buick’s exclusive and standard “QuietTuning,” which reduces or tunes out unwanted wind, road and powertrain noise with the goal of providing best-in-class levels of ride quietness.
Lucerne will offer six air bags as standard equipment: a dual-stage driver front air bag, an industry-first dual-depth front passenger air bag, side-impact thorax air bags and roof-rail curtain air bags.
Lucerne will be manufactured at GM’s Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Center, which received the Silver Plant Quality Award for North/South America in the 2004 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study. Pricing will be announced closer to launch.

2006 LUCERNE DELIVERS TECHNOLOGY YOU EXPECT IN A LUXURY CAR

CHICAGO - The 2006 Buick Lucerne brings a fresh approach to the entry-luxury sedan market by complementing the division''s key strengths of elegance, power and comfort with a high level of advanced, driver-friendly technology.

Innovative, relevant technology is found within virtually every area of Lucerne''s sleek new shape, including industry-leading passenger safety and security measures, a sophisticated electro-magnetic ride and handling system, an energy-efficient V-8 engine and a full range of luxury features enhanced by the latest electronic advancements. Together, Lucerne''s technology attributes place Buick''s newest sedan at the head of its competitive segment.

"As Buick''s third all-new vehicle in a little over a year, Lucerne shows just how quickly we are leveraging some of the most innovative technology in the industry to establish it as a premium sedan,"" said General Manager John Larson. ""This combination of useful technology and luxury features will appeal to a wide range of customers who value high levels of safety, quality, performance and comfort in a graceful and elegant vehicle.""

The 2006 Buick Lucerne features:
• Refined V-6 and Premium V-8 engine with advanced control systems
• Magnetic Ride Control (a Buick first)
• StabiliTrak with Buick-first brake assist
• Front passenger dual-depth air bag (an industry first)
• Side thorax and roof rail-mounted curtain air bags
• Remote-start system
• Heated/cooled front seats (a Buick first)
• Heated washer fluid
• Structure-less windshield wiper design (GM passenger car first) with rain-sensing feature
• QuietTuned cabin
• Ultrasonic rear parking assist
• DVD/navigation system
• Harman Kardon stereo system with XM Satellite Radio availability
• OnStar

Refined V-6 and Premium V-8 engines
Lucerne is the first Buick sedan in a decade to offer V-8 power. Rated at an estimated 275 horsepower (205 kW), this all-aluminum, 4.6L 32-valve dual overhead cam engine is optional on Lucerne CXL and standard on CXS models. The 3800 Series III V-6, rated at an estimated 195 horsepower (149 kW), is standard on CX and CXL models.

Both engines feature a new Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system that seamlessly matches driver input with engine response and overall fuel efficiency. The controller also is linked electronically to the transmission to deliver instant throttle response with maximum shift smoothness. An integrated traction control system intervenes in the event of wheel slippage when traction is low, or during aggressive throttle application. The new ETC also integrates the cruise control function into the engine control module, which increases reliability and minimizes complexity by eliminating the need for a separate cruise control module.

Lucerne''s Premium V-8 engine also includes:
• An engine management microprocessor with twice the memory capacity of previous GM systems, to perform more engine functions with greater speed, making it one of the most sophisticated engine management systems ever
• Dual knock sensors, one on each cylinder bank, to provide improved performance and economy while using lower octane fuels
• A lower crankcase made with a new aluminum squeeze-casting process, which stiffens the entire engine assembly for smoother operation
• A new intake manifold design with a center-feed plenum to reduce induction noise and improve overall engine sound quality

Magnetic Ride Control and StabiliTrak systems
Lucerne is the first Buick to offer GM''s innovative Magnetic Ride Control system, which is paired with the StabiliTrak electronic stability control system on CXS models, to deliver exceptional ride comfort and driver control. Magnetic Ride Control provides quicker response than conventional valve-damping systems by using magnetically charged particles suspended in a synthetic fluid to continuously adjust the fluid''s viscosity to varying road surfaces and driving characteristics. The result is exceptional vehicle control and a smooth ride by flattening body roll during cornering, and minimizing body dive during hard acceleration or braking.

Lucerne''s four-channel StabiliTrak, with a new brake assist feature, senses emergency braking situations and boosts the power as needed. Brake assist is another first for any full-size Buick sedan, as are 18-inch wheels. Both are part of Lucerne CSX''s technologically advanced suspension system.
Industry-first dual-depth front passenger air bag
Lucerne provides six air bags standard, including a dual-stage driver air bag, side-impact thorax air bags and side (roof rail-mounted) curtain air bags. Also included is an industry-first dual-depth front passenger air bag. This air bag deploys to either a reduced depth or an increased depth, depending on factors including the seat position and severity of impact as determined by ""smart"" sensing technologies.

Comprehensive crash protection technology
GM''s Passenger Occupant Detection System (PODS) disables air bag deployment if a child or person of smaller stature is determined to be sitting on the front passenger seat, according to an embedded weight-sensing mat. The air bag syst***'s central control unit processes information from the PODS sensor, vehicle crash severity and seat position, and commands the optimum level of air bag deployment within a few milliseconds.

Remote-start system
Lucerne offers a factory-installed remote-start system, which operates from as far as approximately 200 feet. The system not only starts the vehicle using the key fob, but can automatically adjust a variety of interior settings, including vehicle temperature, heating of seats and activation of the front and rear window defrosters.

Heated and cooled front seats
Heated and cooled front seats offer individualized cooling and heating for the driver and front passenger. For the cooling function, both airflow and temperature are delivered via a thermoelectric unit, fan and ceramic devices mounted in each seat. The leather seating surfaces are perforated for optimum airflow. There are three settings for cooling or heating (high, medium and low), and two modes of heat -- full seat (seat and back) or back only. Settings are operated using door-mounted controls. The remote-start fob also will activate the seat heating function.

Heated washer fluid system
Lucerne is one of the first vehicles in the industry equipped with a heated windshield wash system -- a technology that enables the driver to easily clear the windshield of ice, snow or insect debris from within the car. The system, which is available on CXL and CXS models, heats washer fluid to approximately 176 degrees F (80 degrees C) in 40 seconds.

Rain-sensing wipers
Standard on CXL and CXS models, this system uses a glass-mounted infrared sensor positioned behind the rearview mirror to detect raindrops and adjust wiper blade operation according to rain intensity.

Structure-less wiper blades
Lower profile, structure-less windshield wiper blades -- a first-time application on a GM large car -- deliver significant wind noise reduction when compared with conventional applications, as well as superior cold weather operation. Also known as flat blades, the wiper blades have no superstructure -- a common source of noise when wind travels through and around it. Instead, a flexible airfoil surface runs along the top of the blade that is tuned to the shape of Lucerne''s windshield, ensuring a lower profile and optimum contact with the windshield in all positions. This design is less prone to freezing in cold weather because there are no joints where ice can form.

QuietTuning throughout
Lucerne benefits from Buick''s all-encompassing engineering initiative called QuietTuning, which eliminates or tunes out unwanted road and powertrain noise from every part of the body structure and drivetrain to provide optimal ride quietness. Starting with a stiff body structure, extremely tight body gaps and tolerances and an extensive wind sealing system, additional notable QuietTuning initiatives that make the 2006 Lucerne one of the quietest premium sedans ever include:
• A new, double-isolated powertrain mounting system to isolate the entire drivetrain system from the body structure
• Multi-layer laminated steel used for the front of the dash panel and covered with sound-damping mats on both the passenger compartment side and the engine compartment side
• Composite nylon baffles in the roof pillars, rocker panels and cross-car structures to eliminate noise paths through these areas
• Extensive use of melt-on sound deadener in the floorpan, covered by a mass-backed carpet module
• Composite wheel housing liners front and rear to dampen rain, gravel and tire sound
• Laminated glass in all four side windows

Ultrasonic rear park assist
The optional ultrasonic park assist system uses sensors on the rear fascia that emit ultrasonic waves when Lucerne is driven in reverse at low speeds. The sending sensor and adjacent sensors pick up the echo of a signal when it bounces off an object. Triangulation is used to determine relative distance, based on elapsed time between the outgoing signal and its return. Three lights mounted on the interior''s rear shelf -- where they are visible to the driver in the rearview mirror -- alert the driver to the proximity of objects behind the vehicle: one light at three feet, two lights at two feet and all three lights plus a warning bell at one foot.

DVD/navigation system
Available on Lucerne CXL and CXS is one of the most sophisticated but easy-to-use entertainment and information systems in its segment. This system integrates all radio and audio capabilities into a 6.5-inch color touch screen mounted in the center of the instrument panel, providing occupants with extremely fast DVD navigation, digital signal processing modes and satellite radio broadcasting.

The system uses a dedicated map DVD slot hidden behind the display screen, which is motorized and articulates out of the way to provide access to the slot. A single DVD can be used to cover almost seven million miles of roads in the U.S. and Canada. The system also includes an additional CD drive, which plays a variety of formats, including CD, MP3 and WMA (a compressed audio format). The high-resolution (480 x 230 pixel) screen displays all navigation functions and roadside services, as well as radio station displays, presets and controls.

Next-generation stereo systems with XM Satellite Radio capability
Lucerne is one of the first GM cars to use a new generation of radios featuring expanded capabilities and improved ease of operation. All four models, including the base AM/FM stereo with single-disc CD player, include an auxiliary audio input to enable ""plug and play"" connection of any and all auxiliary audio players, such as portable MP3 units.

Standard on Lucerne CXL and CXS and optional on CX models is an uplevel version capable of playing both CDs and MP3 formatted discs through a single-disc changer. It also supports storing folders from MP3 discs. Specific features include optional XM (SDARS) reception capability. XM delivers 100 channels of music, news, sports and children''s programming in a digital format via satellite, providing coast-to-coast coverage. Thirty-six presets are available with the selection of XM Satellite Radio, as well as the ability to play a mix of pre-selected AM, FM and XM stations without having to select between frequency and band.

An integrated, in-dash, six-disc CD changer also is available on all Lucerne models.
The premium audio system, standard on CXS and optional on CX and CXL models, is a 245-watt Harman Kardon amplifier with nine speakers.

OnStar
All Lucerne models include GM''s OnStar system. OnStar uses the Global Positioning System to pinpoint the vehicle's position so that when the system is activated, an advisor is contacted via an embedded cell phone and is available to provide 24-hour emergency and convenience services.
Lucerne is also equipped with GM's advanced automatic crash notification (AACN) system. In addition to an OnStar advisor being immediately notified in case of a crash in which there is air bag deployment, AACN reads a series of strategically related sensors to determine the severity of the impact, regardless of air bag deployment. Working with OnStar advisors, 911 dispatchers are better able to determine deployment of appropriate emergency personnel, equipment or medical facilities.
New GM vehicles equipped with OnStar include one year of the Safe & Sound service plan, including unlimited use of emergency services, roadside assistance, stolen-vehicle tracking assistance, remote door unlocking and remote diagnostics. By purchasing packages of OnStar Personal Calling minutes, personal phone calls also can be placed through the OnStar system using voice recognition technology.

2006 LUCERNE BRINGS SLEEK NEW PROPORTIONS TO BUICK

CHICAGO – Lucerne’s sleek and athletic new shape is poised to attract a wide range of customers. While remaining true to the division’s long-standing themes of elegance and attention to detail, the Lucerne borrows from Buick’s most recent concept car, Vélite, to subtly move Buick sedan design in a new direction.

Lucerne combines elegance with a more performance-oriented shape and increased use of innovative technologies. The result is a fresh new look, presenting a premium sedan, while signaling its new performance potential as the first V-8-powered Buick car in a decade.

"Our design goal was to create a new look and vision for Buick design – one that evokes an elegant, contemporary statement for a premium sedan,” said Design Director John Manoogian. “Proportion and stance were the building blocks that enabled the design process. Lucerne is instantly recognizable as a Buick, in a clean, taut package."

Following a new Buick standard set by the ’05 LaCrosse, Lucerne’s overall design embraces levels of fit and finish on par with high-end luxury vehicles, with minimized gaps between exterior panels, as well as among all interior surfaces.

Blending elegance and ability
As Buick’s third new vehicle to be launched in just over a year, the 2006 Lucerne has a trim and taut appearance.

The design cues begin with Lucerne’s all-new “face.” Influenced by the Buick Vélite concept car introduced at the 2004 New York Auto Show, the grille incorporates thin vertical “waterfall” vanes, enveloping the chrome Buick tri-shield emblem. Flanking the grille are polycarbonate and chrome headlamp modules that taper into the fenders, combining state-of-the-art optics with jewel-like elegance. A boldly styled front fascia with split air intakes completes Lucerne’s sporty yet premium front-end appearance.

Lucerne’s side profile blends a slightly more formal upper body appearance with a tautly contoured lower section, emphasizing Buick’s new design direction while still paying homage to some long-standing Buick design trademarks. One such feature is the newly designed, interconnected front fender portholes, which are machined and set high into the fenders, evoking contemporary elegance and performance. Lucerne CX and CXL models with V-6 power feature three on each side. The performance-oriented, V-8-powered Lucerne CXL and CXS models will be identified by four portholes on each side.
Also like Vélite, Lucerne’s overall side view is sleek, smoothly contoured and athletic looking. Its rakish 60-degree windshield and arched roofline flow into a “faster” 70-degree rear window angle and deck lid. Adding to this athletic stance are tighter body-to-tire relationships and softly sculpted wheel designs that range up to 18 inches in diameter – a first for any Buick sedan.
At the rear, horizontally positioned taillamps wrap around from the side into the deck lid and are separated by a prominent Buick tri-shield emblem. The taillamps incorporate “floating” inner lenses for the brake and auxiliary lamps that also serve as reflective surfaces, and have a clean, high-tech appearance. Looking downward, the license plate location is centered in the rear fascia, and CSX models feature chromed-tipped dual exhaust pipes to accent Lucerne’s potent V-8 performance.

Expertly crafted, spacious interior
Befitting Lucerne’s sleek new shape is an interior that reinforces Buick’s tradition of comfort, elegance and spaciousness, while continuing the exterior’s contemporary design theme and precise fit and finish levels among all interrelating surfaces.

Available in both five- and six-passenger seating configurations, Lucerne’s interior showcases Buick’s focus on precise execution and craftsmanship. Premium materials are used throughout, including tasteful wood and chrome finishes, and the use of French seams and stitching. Using a flowing, cross-car design theme, Lucerne’s interior is as pleasing to the eye as it is to the ergonomic requirements of the driver and passengers.

Immediately evident within Lucerne is the overall flushness and extremely tight tolerances of adjacent surfaces. Gaps between components and interfaces in the center instrument panel area, or “center stack,” are less than one millimeter, which is on par with the best high-end luxury vehicles in the industry. Instrument panel-to-door gaps are only five millimeters, again among the best in the industry.

Uninterrupted and flowing cross-car lines emphasize Lucerne’s spacious interior. With a wheelbase of more than 115 inches (2936 millimeters), Lucerne’s head, leg, elbow and hip room, as well as front seat travel, are among the best in its competitive set. Lucerne’s long wheelbase also provides 41 inches (1051 mm) of second-row legroom, and 5.5 inches (143 mm) inches of second-row knee clearance.

“The Lucerne is a beautiful, premium vehicle – inside and out,” said Buick General Manager John Larson. “Its styling is very fresh. We expect Lucerne to bring some excitement to its segment, attracting new customers and appealing to current Buick customers alike.”
Old 02-09-05, 02:39 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely an improvement over the Le Sabre. But the backend reminds me of the Chevrolet Cavalier.
Old 02-09-05, 05:34 PM
Falcon LS
Lead Lap

Lightbulb

Definately looks like an improvement! Not exactly my cup of tea though.

Quick Reply: Buick Lucerne spy pic (Lesabre replacement)