Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Trash talking Evo owner Owned by M3 **VIDEO**

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-04, 12:48 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
i drove the evo already, which part of the "hard to drive" are you referring to? i am not challenging you, coz' i didn't really push teh car hard. but i am interested in knowing what are some of the tricks in the car. it's always good to learn.

but yes, the evo is fast, and can be fast together with m3 and c32. it's always about the driver as well, specially when you come to stick shift

oh and yeah, i guess it's the image of mitsubishi that honda people are always assocaiting themselves with mitsu people. no idea why. except the s2k and nsx (i put that together with the honda), honestly i don't think anything else from them might be able to touch the evo
Specifically, the launch is the hardest part. Go too low, and it'll bog on you. Go too high, and you're going to punish the clutch unnecessarily. The real problem is that the place to get it RPM-wise for a good launch is such a small window, you have to be very precise. One thing that I hope will help this is replacing the throttle spring with a heavier one, adding a shift light or tone, and putting up a gauge pod on the pillar so I don't have to look down to see what the turbo is doing. The clutch and shift lever allow extremely fast shifts, and the car's set up in a manner such that it seems to expect fast shifts (and doesn't sound right when you don't.)

Honestly, I don't think I'll do much stoplight racing because I really don't want to eat up the clutch. If I wanted to beat people in stoplight races I'd have something else. I bought the Evo specifically because of its incredible handling and grip. When I test drove it, I drifted a great downhill here in Marin (the owner of the dealer is a friend of the family, so he just gave me the keys) expecting understeer, but was rewarded with neck-straining grip. When I asked too much, it kicked the tail out a little to improve the turning angle. I am making it sound like it did it by itself, because it really did - I turned sharply using a standard grip technique expecting it to plow like the STi does, and was rewarded with a controlled drift that set me up to run down the next straight.

If someone's using a car that handles like that for street drag, I think they need to re-evaluate their purchase decision.

Edit: just watched the video, and I blame the driver of the Evo for that one, he should've maintained his initial jump. His mods probably hurt him, too - the owner of the Mitsu dealer I work with is a Norwegian ex-WRC driver, and he's told me that a lot of the parts out there for the Evo can hurt reliability and performance. He shouldn't have to bounce his foot on the gas pedal to build boost, and that loud BOV is probably de-pressurizing his system too much when he shifts.

Last edited by MadMaxSC400; 10-29-04 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-29-04, 01:01 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by MadMaxSC400

If someone's using a car that handles like that for street drag, I think they need to re-evaluate their purchase decision.
Well said.

A lot of these punks buy these cars (or their parents do) because they look econobox on the outside (I mean it's a friggin Mirage, c'mon) and street light race them because any idiot can do that.

It takes gonads of titanium to actually take that car and use it for it's purpose on a rally circuit where you actually have to TURN the damn thing and actually possess some skill...

These kids won't ever do that.

At the hangouts on tuesdays and thursday nights someone always used to always ask me "Wanna run it?". The answer was always, "Sure, I have a nice course behind some warehouses full of twisties and no traffic, follow me there and we'll have some fun."

I have yet to get taken up on my offer. My friend and I do it every now and then. It's quite fun. Well lit and totally abandoned so it's safe.

Why does everyone want to drag race their mother's Camry? Go to an autocross and learn what racing is really about. Take it off the street.
Old 10-29-04, 01:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Specifically, the launch is the hardest part. Go too low, and it'll bog on you. Go too high, and you're going to punish the clutch unnecessarily. The real problem is that the place to get it RPM-wise for a good launch is such a small window, you have to be very precise. One thing that I hope will help this is replacing the throttle spring with a heavier one, adding a shift light or tone, and putting up a gauge pod on the pillar so I don't have to look down to see what the turbo is doing. The clutch and shift lever allow extremely fast shifts, and the car's set up in a manner such that it seems to expect fast shifts (and doesn't sound right when you don't.)

Honestly, I don't think I'll do much stoplight racing because I really don't want to eat up the clutch. If I wanted to beat people in stoplight races I'd have something else. I bought the Evo specifically because of its incredible handling and grip. When I test drove it, I drifted a great downhill here in Marin (the owner of the dealer is a friend of the family, so he just gave me the keys) expecting understeer, but was rewarded with neck-straining grip. When I asked too much, it kicked the tail out a little to improve the turning angle. I am making it sound like it did it by itself, because it really did - I turned sharply using a standard grip technique expecting it to plow like the STi does, and was rewarded with a controlled drift that set me up to run down the next straight.

so well said, you really don't get the car for drag, you are getting the package (power, handling, etc...). if you want a car to just kill others from stop you would have gotten something else

guess i just have to find another evo that i can do whatever i want to it huh
Old 10-29-04, 01:08 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by CleanSC
I have yet to get taken up on my offer. My friend and I do it every now and then. It's quite fun. Well lit and totally abandoned so it's safe.
Now THAT sounds like fun. I'll PM you if I ever head down to FL
Old 10-29-04, 01:08 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

I love when trash talking retards get there *** handed to them.

Makes me wish I had a like a rusty ES250 sleepr so I could just drive around knocking those kind of people down a peg.
Old 10-29-04, 01:12 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Now THAT sounds like fun. I'll PM you if I ever head down to FL
What? Why so you can smoke us in your Evo?

We'll be uh... Sick that day.

hahah
Old 10-29-04, 04:00 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Hahahah..

And I thought you knew I am a fob all this time.

Jon

well i have a feeling that we have a lot of asians here for sure, now more detailed breakdown i don't know.

but good to find another peep here
Old 10-29-04, 04:03 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks! It's good to see the old buddies here on CL.

Hahahah... See I knew someone's got to know who he is.

Jon

Originally posted by DC52E55

welcome back jon!

very true!

by the way, my friends found out who triangle is at CrossRoad.

i havnt met him yet but i heard he takes 3 hrs to finish a dinner.
Old 10-29-04, 04:26 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HAHA-Those dorks got smoked.
Old 10-29-04, 09:48 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Lonely Toothbrush
Same attitude with most of the M3 owners (or Bimmer owners,) until they run into a supercharged GS400 (Pearlpower.)
Same attitude goes for just about any car owner... for some reason lots of people think there is nothing that can keep up with their car.

I bet after that *** whoopin his "ballsy" co pilot was saying "oh, you should have had your windows up", or "turned your radio off" or "he Jumped the light." Idiot obviously didnt know that an M3 comes 333 to the ground. It was pretty clear they dont know jack about cars. "is it AWD??????"

Last edited by Stage3; 10-29-04 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-29-04, 10:57 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

but good to find another peep here
Don't forget me!

Last edited by LB Lex; 10-29-04 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-01-04, 09:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally posted by LB Lex
Don't forget me!
hahhaa after you changed your name everyone forgot about you already
Old 11-01-04, 10:16 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion