Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Ford F150 King Ranch 3.5 Ecoboost review

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-23, 02:12 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey, @AJT123, would you be okay with me turning this review into an article over on ClubLexus' sister site -- https://www.ford-trucks.com/ (Basically present it as it is here with some minor tweaks to formatting and cropping some of the photos.)

Feel free to reply here or via DM. Cheers!
Old 08-17-23, 03:13 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 189 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by MPalmer
Hey, @AJT123, would you be okay with me turning this review into an article over on ClubLexus' sister site -- https://www.ford-trucks.com/ (Basically present it as it is here with some minor tweaks to formatting and cropping some of the photos.)

Feel free to reply here or via DM. Cheers!
Absolutely by all means!!!! Send me a link!! They probably won't slaughter me too much lol, because I freakin' loved that truck although I am a Chevy person 1000000%. (It's fine if they do, lol..)

We had a last hurrah with it last night, man it's fun to enjoy 500lb/ft of torque (something like that) zooming through SF and up the crazzzzzzy hills. Turbo whistle in that thing was great. On flight home now, can't wait to get there lol. Gonna try to get a hold of the Denali ASAP and directly compare the motors.
Old 08-17-23, 03:54 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Originally Posted by AJT123
Absolutely by all means!!!! Send me a link!! They probably won't slaughter me too much lol, because I freakin' loved that truck although I am a Chevy person 1000000%. (It's fine if they do, lol..)

We had a last hurrah with it last night, man it's fun to enjoy 500lb/ft of torque (something like that) zooming through SF and up the crazzzzzzy hills. Turbo whistle in that thing was great. On flight home now, can't wait to get there lol. Gonna try to get a hold of the Denali ASAP and directly compare the motors.
Great, thanks!
Old 08-17-23, 10:34 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Great, thanks!
Yes, please post a link whenever as I'd love to read the thread. HAPPY to help!!!

Wow, on said Ford page I read this article, basically front and center. Doesn't surprise me one bit. But damn that Ecoboost was fun, I won't ever deny that. I just personally think a tried and true, simple 2 valve GM V8 6.2 is superior to all that complexity and it does seem faster, the 6.2 even if only by a little, no matter what better numbers the Ford lays down if it does.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...e-is-the-best/

Last edited by AJT123; 08-17-23 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-18-23, 07:22 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Yes, please post a link whenever as I'd love to read the thread. HAPPY to help!!!

Wow, on said Ford page I read this article, basically front and center. Doesn't surprise me one bit. But damn that Ecoboost was fun, I won't ever deny that. I just personally think a tried and true, simple 2 valve GM V8 6.2 is superior to all that complexity and it does seem faster, the 6.2 even if only by a little, no matter what better numbers the Ford lays down if it does.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...e-is-the-best/
6.2 vs 3.5 EcoBoost would be a fun comparison, no doubt. I think you're right that the 3.5 pulls harder off the line, but the 6.2 does better up top. It's a little more complicated with the 5.0 involved... Ford tuned it more for torque than high-end RPM (ala the Mustang), but it's still and engine that's relatively low on power until you push it (wish it loves). To me, the 3.5 drives better in a truck than the 5.0, but the Ford techs may have been soured by early EcoBoosts that had some flaws in the way the turbos were oiled and some direct-injection teaching issues.

Plus, Ford Performance has a 50-state supercharger that you can add to the 5.0 that pushes power to the 700hp range.

Chevy's 6.2s are great. i have a previous gen LS3 6.2 in my Roadmaster Wagon and the torque curve is lovely, not to mention the way it revs fast and pulls hard toward 6 grand.
Old 08-18-23, 08:22 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

@AJT123 Hey, I'm working on turning your post into the article and just filling in a couple details here and there, since those folks won't know you as well as your friends here. I see what LX you have, but what year/make/spec Denali do you have? (And is it a Truck or SUV?) Thanks!
Old 08-18-23, 10:17 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

@AJT123 Okay... update... i missed it before, but i finally saw that your Denali is a 2022 Yukon Denali, so that's all set. Here's the article (again, with some trims and reorganizing -- https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...-ranch-review/

Please let me know if any of the changes miscommunicate your intentions.

Thanks again!
Old 08-18-23, 11:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,388 Posts

Please let me know if any of the changes miscommunicate your intentions.
why does it start "Hey Ford losers..."
Old 08-18-23, 01:33 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 167 Posts

This Ecoboost is not getting anything meaningful better MPG wise, sure as hell not as much a difference to matter.
I think this is what bothers me most with the replacements of V6TT's for V8s. Like the LX600, the smaller turbo engine here doesn't seem to me much more efficient than the old V8s.so why even bother since it makes it a much more complex engine for reliability. Give me the choice between the V8 and the V6TT with the same MPG and the same price and I will take the NA V8 all day every day.
Old 08-18-23, 03:38 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

I think the issue with V6TT vs V8s for auto manufacturers is that the smaller displacement engines with turbos produce fewer emissions (at least during the testing parameters) which is how they pass various market regulations. The marketing teams like to say they're more economical in terms of fuel, and that is true IF you can keep the turbo from spooling. But as you can see from AJT123's review, in the real world (at the pump), the mpg differences between a V6TT and V8 are marginal with normal and spirited driving.

Basically, what I like to say about the EcoBoost motors is that you have two options -- both controlled by your right foot -- you can have the eco or you can have the boost. But not both at the same time.
Old 08-18-23, 05:28 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,151 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i personally think the idea of a very luxurious TRUCK is absurd. ford's more 'utilitarian' approach, or 'fancy on the prairie' type of premium, i think is great.
It makes sense if you only want one vehicle to do absolutely everything, it also really helps pad margins and justify $80-110k price tags that are how companies are surviving these days. No one cars about the low end anymore since people have money or they don't and if they do they don't want a midrange truck, the exception is fleet vehicles and those are base as base can be.
Old 08-18-23, 05:29 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,151 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I think this is what bothers me most with the replacements of V6TT's for V8s. Like the LX600, the smaller turbo engine here doesn't seem to me much more efficient than the old V8s.so why even bother since it makes it a much more complex engine for reliability. Give me the choice between the V8 and the V6TT with the same MPG and the same price and I will take the NA V8 all day every day.
Because in EPA testing it is better. That is what matters not real world.
Old 08-18-23, 07:27 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

@AJT123 Hey, I'm working on turning your post into the article and just filling in a couple details here and there, since those folks won't know you as well as your friends here. I see what LX you have, but what year/make/spec Denali do you have? (And is it a Truck or SUV?) Thanks!
Denali isn't even technically mine, hahaha---it's in the family. I definitely have the time and ability to scrutinize it sometimes though. I drove it around today thoroughly to the tune of 12MPG and full throttle plenty and just am tired currently but will go through what I found 6.2 vs Ecoboost as soon as I'm not so jet lagged.

I am humbled and flattered you made my review into an article, thank you. Truly.

Here's where I noticed how the GMC just walks away in the interior department, still shocked this is a GM product. There are FIVE areas of leather or verrry nicely simulated leather and stitching just by casual glance in this one picture alone. In second pic I have highlighted the trim with red arrows.

That trim is as soft and luxurious as it looks. They reallllly took effort to differentiate the different models this time. And I'm just stunned at the quality of the interior, it's right there with Lexus. Every single button and switch, windows, etc. you see there feels as good as Lexus buttons.

Last edited by AJT123; 08-18-23 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-19-23, 09:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,388 Posts

i counted over 30 buttons just in that pic. that would make elon musk anxious.
Old 08-19-23, 09:52 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i counted over 30 buttons just in that pic. that would make elon musk anxious.
Ive said it before but I love all the buttons because you never have to dig into the screen. There is so much redundancy. There are 3 ways to skip audio tracks, etc. Screen, physical button, and/or steering wheel button.