Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Ford F150 King Ranch 3.5 Ecoboost review

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-23, 01:56 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 200 Likes on 178 Posts
Default 2023 Ford F150 King Ranch 3.5 Ecoboost review

FINALLY, I have lived the Ecoboost life and experienced a modern Ford truck.

Lol the Enterprise guy gave us the best truck they had (for $679 lmao, always try what I did with E, it works every time). The golden rule, just can't beat it. It works. I asked for one with options, nicely. He could tell I was just spent mentally and physically (we all were) from a GOD AWFUL(!!!!!!!!!!!!) flight complete with multiple screaming kids from Charlotte (connect there from Knox) to SFO...that's a lonnnng *** flight. I am doing very well recovery wise from my surgeries, but I just was absolutely spent from walking through all the airports. I tipped him $50. They will take your money at that point when they literally give you the car.

Anyway, I love this thing! As I said I am a Chevy guy but I'm not stupid and blind and ignorant. Ford can make a hell of a beast, this truck is one. It was over 70k new.

The interior is nice but a letdown honestly for the price, at least compared to the Denali back home. Metal and leather and stitching and wood is far behind. The Sierra Denalis have interiors just as nice as the Yukons so it's a fair comparison. Ford King Ranch is a very high end trim, power running boards and all. Speakers from the reallllly fancy B&O audio are in the ceiling. Sounds great, but honestly about the same as the Bose back home in Big Den (nickname). This has that new shifter that electronically folds into a cubby, which I don't really understand. I like it, I guess, but it feels cheap because it's electronic. Compared to the shifter in my LX it's not even in the same universe.

It rides excellent, even luxurious. Suspension rebound is great. It has fat sidewall tires. Insanely comfortable and huge, and nice inside. I could drive it from NY to California with eyes closed it's so comfortable and rides so well. Big huge screen, bigger than Denali but not quitttte as crisp and not as many cameras. It has great visibility, and you can see the taillights from the rear view mirrors when you drive, which is just cool. Excellent LED headlights that turn. Nice digital gauge cluster.

One thing I still can't believe that I don't care for, and would be a dealbreaker, is the terrible turning radius of this thing. I have spent a many times on this trip making 3 point turns that took wayyyyy longer than they should have. Both the new Yukon, my old '03 Yukon, and our LX570 for that matter turn on dimes, or way better that this F150 does. This thing I almost thought something was wrong with it, it's really bad. I can't believe Ford can't make this truck turn tighter. I don't know the 1500 lingo but it's the size of a Yukon or regular length Expedition. Terrible turning radius.

It feels very tough and solid, which I love. We ended up running off the road into this elevated ditch thingy because I made a really fast move and my foot slipped off the brake (it was a weird situation, we were trying to turn around), never the better, truck shrugged it off like a champ. This would have damaged a regular car. Another reason trucks are so glorious.

Now let's get to the best part, the engine. We know I love V8s, but I am going to be objective here. I have been dying to drive one of these Ecoboost V6s and compare it to the GM V8, namely the 6.2. I'm not sure exactly how much HP it has but it's the full 3.5 Ecoboost 9-yards, non-hybrid. Over 400hp and probably more torque than the GMC which has 460ft/lbs.

Numbers don't matter, basically. Both this and GMC feel about the same quickness/power wise, this Ford probably would lay down a better 0-60 time. But.....and this is a big "but": There just ain't no replacement for displacement, sorry. Numbers don't matter, for example, because there is turbo lag and the truck lurches. Family member and my spouse even mother commented on the way it felt, too lurchy and not the greatest power delivery. Stomp on the GMC and it's literally instant; not here. It has tons of torque but it just isn't delivered in the best way. And, I may be spoiled because I own three NA V8 vehicles. But it's true with the truck. It's fine, but the GMC 6.2 is noticeably more refined and feels a lot better just driving it.

I mentioned the massive torque in this F-150, that said it runs out of steam (relatively) in the upper rev areas. GMC 6.2 has the high horsepower rush at high RPMs partly because it's NA. The fun with this F150 is the torque, even though the delivery isn't the best. It even sounds pretty good, the engine at least. The turbo whistle I quitttte like and I know they engineered it to be intoxicating-sounding like that. It's the exhaust and startup, and revving where you feel the engine is just a little dinky. Even to test the turbo lag, I took it through all of the usable non-OD gears and floored it lower in the rev rance, and just unacceptable turbo lag. I even took it down to second gear revving at 3k rpm (presumably I thought turbos would be spooled and ready) and still waited at least a full second (counted Mississippi) before all the power came in when I floored the gas, in second gear going about 30 with the revs somewhat up.. That last action sort of shocked me. Overall it's a hell of a potent engine, but a little rough around the edges. Ford guys would love it ,and I like it but don't love it, I just like V8s and it is what it is. I'm very glad Ford offers the 5.0 Coyote because that would absolutely be my choice here engine wise. Like I said, numbers don't tell the whole story, at all. It's drive and feel, refinement, etc. etc. I also like the much slower Toyota 5.7 in our LX better than this Ecoboost FWIW.

So here's the thing. Check out this gas mileage:

Just about identical to what I get in the '22 Denali with the 6.2. It is virtually no better and absolutely not worth sacrificing a much simpler V8 because in the real world it's not much of a difference, at all. Just like the GM V8 is fun to prod, so is this massively powerful F-150 with the boost. Our LX gets about this. Bottom line, heavy, powerful trucks suck down gas-- always have always will. Who cares.

Overall though I love this truck, Ford guys would love it and never think twice about buying a Chevy. I would drive this in a heartbeat. We decided to keep it a few days more to just drive ALL around San Francisco once we go down there because the streets are so dangerous and the truck is big and safe. I'm getting the extra insurance first, though lol.

Ford trucks are very, very impressive. I love it and I'm not a Ford guy.

Last edited by AJT123; 08-12-23 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-12-23, 03:15 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 241 Likes on 186 Posts

Nice review! On this part:

Originally Posted by AJT123
One thing I still can't believe that I don't care for, and would be a dealbreaker, is the terrible turning radius of this thing. I have spent a many times on this trip making 3 point turns that took wayyyyy longer than they should have. Both the new Yukon, my old '03 Yukon, and our LX570 for that matter turn on dimes, or way better that this F150 does. This thing I almost thought something was wrong with it, it's really bad. I can't believe Ford can't make this truck turn tighter. I don't know the 1500 lingo but it's the size of a Yukon or regular length Expedition. Terrible turning radius.
Welcome to pickup life. A wide turning radius is a natural byproduct of a long wheelbase. The wheelbase on your rental F150 is either 145" (if the bed was 5.5', which is what it looks like) or 157" (if 6.5' bed). The Yukon's is 121". The truck's wheels are 2-3 FEET farther apart than the SUVs. That has a significant impact.
Old 08-12-23, 04:01 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
Nice review! On this part:

Welcome to pickup life. A wide turning radius is a natural byproduct of a long wheelbase. The wheelbase on your rental F150 is either 145" (if the bed was 5.5', which is what it looks like) or 157" (if 6.5' bed). The Yukon's is 121". The truck's wheels are 2-3 FEET farther apart than the SUVs. That has a significant impact.
It’s the same length as a Yukon down to an inch. It’s not an XL truck, or that would be a Yukon XL if not a pickup. The bed is roughly the size of the rear area of an American BOF SUV.

Interesting though. But I’ve driven half ton pickups in the past that have turned wayyy better radius wise.

Edit: I think I do see it. That wheelbase does look pretty long. If this is every pickup than forget that as a demerit on my review.

Great truck regardless.

Last edited by AJT123; 08-12-23 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-12-23, 04:04 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 536 Likes on 331 Posts

You don’t mention it so in case you may not have tried it I’ll bring up sport mode. Make sure you’re in sport and not one of the other drive modes. The truck defaults to normal, sport should improve throttle response.
Old 08-12-23, 04:08 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
You don’t mention it so in case you may not have tried it I’ll bring up sport mode. Make sure you’re in sport and not one of the other drive modes. The truck defaults to normal, sport should improve throttle response.
Haven’t found any sport mode but I’ll look harder. Interestingly there’s no start/stop.

It’s not throttle response, it’s just a turbo engine’s nature. The power comes on STRONG, but you do have to wait a second for it. What I like about displacement is that it’s always there, its reason for being is to be instant when you hit the gas lol.
Old 08-12-23, 04:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks.....Nice write-up, AJT. While the King Ranch represents what is arguably the best of (non-Lincoln) Ford interiors, I agree with you that GM usually does a better job inside than equivalent Ford products.
Old 08-12-23, 04:42 PM
swajames
Pole Position

I think there’s a dial controller to select drive mode. Been a while since I had an ecoboost but I think they still have the dial drive mode controller. I think it will make a difference if you have one on yours.
Old 08-12-23, 04:50 PM
swajames
Pole Position

See if you have this control - 19 on this interior pic

edit - you do have it. I see it on your interior pics. Try selecting sport. It usually makes an appreciable difference.

Last edited by swajames; 08-12-23 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-12-23, 05:13 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 890 Likes on 712 Posts

One of my dream trucks was always the King Ranch edition.

King Ranch on a 1 Ton F350 with long bed.

Old 08-12-23, 08:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,431 Posts

great review ajt123. there's a reason ford sells more f150's than anyone else sells anything. and the ecoboost engine is really great. ford put a TON of r&d into it. plus the truck is aluminum, a remarkable achievement for a mass market vehicle.

Originally Posted by AJT123
It’s not throttle response, it’s just a turbo engine’s nature.
i think that's a view based on turbo engines from long ago. my santa fe four banger turbo has the 'lag' you speak of in 'comfort' mode, which is programmed that way so it's not jerky on/off the throttle. switch to sport mode however, and the car leaps right away with throttle input. no turbo lag.

What I like about displacement is that it’s always there, its reason for being is to be instant when you hit the gas lol.
again, that's dated... from a stop, i'd say my 5.0L V8 LC500 has as much or more 'lag' than my santa fe. of course once the rpms are over 2k, forget it, the LC will leave the suv in the dust, but that's just raw power numbers.
Old 08-12-23, 10:37 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I did find a sport mode and it did liven things up a little. Do not get me wrong yall, the engine is a monster. And this truck hauls ***.

What I am really pleasantly surprised about is the actual engine sound, not too bad at all. I don’t think there’s any fake sound piped in and the turbo whistle is great. However, like I said the exhaust and startup, etc. when you’re not having fun with it… it’s just a 3.5L V6…

Fire up the GMC in the garage and it will tickle your fancy with the V8 roar and exhaust, and the truck will shake to let you know there’s basically a Corvette V8 under the hood. Starting this Ford up is as fun as starting a Cavalier. That kind of stuff doesn’t matter to some but it does to me.

Still love this truck, we keep having fun with it. It’s really hard not to gun TF out of it. It’s glorious with the power, just like the Denali is but in a slightly different way.

Last edited by AJT123; 08-12-23 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-13-23, 08:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,871 Posts

Great review. Agreed Ford's interiors are behind their competitors.

The turning radius is because of the wheelbase, Yukon wheelbase is 120.9 inches, the wheelbase of this truck is 145 inches. The wheelbase is over two feet longer, you can't change physics. The only way to shorten that turning radius is with rear wheel steering. BOF SUVs and BOF pickups are not identical at all, even if they seem like it.

The gearshift going into the console is for work. The armrest folds forward and creates a desk, the gearshift can't be there if you are doing that. So, would you rather have that or buttons for a gearshift? The people I know with F150s who use them for work love that desk:

Old 08-13-23, 03:53 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,154 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great review ajt123. there's a reason ford sells more f150's than anyone else sells anything. and the ecoboost engine is really great. ford put a TON of r&d into it. plus the truck is aluminum, a remarkable achievement for a mass market vehicle.

i think that's a view based on turbo engines from long ago. my santa fe four banger turbo has the 'lag' you speak of in 'comfort' mode, which is programmed that way so it's not jerky on/off the throttle. switch to sport mode however, and the car leaps right away with throttle input. no turbo lag.

again, that's dated... from a stop, i'd say my 5.0L V8 LC500 has as much or more 'lag' than my santa fe. of course once the rpms are over 2k, forget it, the LC will leave the suv in the dust, but that's just raw power numbers.
Thats one of the most insane statements I've seen man.....there is no way in hell the 5.0 is slower to respond than the rattle can.
Old 08-13-23, 05:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Thats one of the most insane statements I've seen man.....there is no way in hell the 5.0 is slower to respond than the rattle can.
those Hyundai Rattle Cans can also breathe fire
Old 08-13-23, 05:11 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
, i'd say my 5.0L V8 LC500 has as much or more 'lag' than my santa fe. of course once the rpms are over 2k, forget it, the LC will leave the suv in the dust, but that's just raw power numbers.
No lag in a NA engine. Your specific V8, torque isn't its defining characteristic, it's the 7000RPM redline. She's a screamer.

However, the 5.7 in my LX, torque is its defining characteristic. Pulling our boat out of the water in 2nd gear start and not even noticing anything back there, is a great example if this. Lexus 5.0 has plenty of torque that said, based on the GS-F I've had experience with. But no, it's not gonna have the low-end turbo boost killer torque.

Quick Reply: 2023 Ford F150 King Ranch 3.5 Ecoboost review