Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2023 Ford F150 King Ranch 3.5 Ecoboost review

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-23, 06:49 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 347 Likes on 237 Posts

Great review, enjoyed reading that! I concur that I'd be disappointed with interior quality knowing I spent that much on a truck. But it's just kinda what Ford does. Do MMarshall's point, you have to go to Lincoln to get the interior we'd all be hoping for.
Old 08-13-23, 07:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,636 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Thats one of the most insane statements I've seen man.....there is no way in hell the 5.0 is slower to respond than the rattle can.
I believe it. You need to really get up into the high RPMs with the LC to get strong torque, with turbos you have all of that power down much lower

And…he has both cars…
Old 08-14-23, 04:45 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,163 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I believe it. You need to really get up into the high RPMs with the LC to get strong torque, with turbos you have all of that power down much lower

And…he has both cars…
So you are saying, and let me make TOTALLY sure I understand you that a 5.0 V8 off idle with a 10 speed produces less acceleration and wheel torque than a turbo 4?

I've driven both cars in question and the 4cyl turbo Hyundai is "eh" at best, floor it in the LC and it will burn the rears
Old 08-14-23, 05:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,468 Posts

Thats one of the most insane statements I've seen man.....there is no way in hell the 5.0 is slower to respond than the rattle can.
why thank you, 'man'.

i'll have to do a back to back test soon. these days there's a lot of variables with drive modes, traction control interfering, etc.

So you are saying, and let me make TOTALLY sure I understand you that a 5.0 V8 off idle with a 10 speed produces less acceleration and wheel torque than a turbo 4?
i don't think anyone said 'less acceleration'. it's about initial response to throttle when accelerating from a stop. but as i said, i do think drive modes are a factor too, with LC comfort/normal modes not being as responsive as sport/sport+ and the same on the santa fe. BOTH have hesitation in the comfort modes. another thing is the LC takes a good bit of time to warm up... from cold start the red line i think is under 4k! but onced it's warmed up, wheeeee....

I've driven both cars in question and the 4cyl turbo Hyundai is "eh" at best, floor it in the LC and it will burn the rears
i'll do the 'testing' and get back to ya...

back to the f150 ecoboost though... that thing moves...
Old 08-14-23, 06:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats not what he or I said. He said it feels peppier off the line in normal driving, which I can see. In normal driving you’re not flooring anything. Well, we’re not lol
Old 08-14-23, 08:28 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 921 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why thank you, 'man'.

i'll have to do a back to back test soon. these days there's a lot of variables with drive modes, traction control interfering, etc.

i don't think anyone said 'less acceleration'. it's about initial response to throttle when accelerating from a stop. but as i said, i do think drive modes are a factor too, with LC comfort/normal modes not being as responsive as sport/sport+ and the same on the santa fe. BOTH have hesitation in the comfort modes. another thing is the LC takes a good bit of time to warm up... from cold start the red line i think is under 4k! but onced it's warmed up, wheeeee....

i'll do the 'testing' and get back to ya...

The proper launch for max rubber burning have to raise the rpms to approx 3k so the tires break when dropped in gear and hold gas pedal to the floor so tires stay broke. Haha

Of course can only do that with a manual or maybe paddle shifters work too but I've never tried it.

The proper launch. Lol

Old 08-14-23, 08:35 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I like it more and more each day. Ford guys would never care it's not a V8, and if they do there's still the 5.0.

Still prefer a big displacement V8 but Ecoboost definitely has the goods.
Old 08-14-23, 08:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,468 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I like it more and more each day. Ford guys would never care it's not a V8, and if they do there's still the 5.0.

Still prefer a big displacement V8 but Ecoboost definitely has the goods.
just an anecdote but i know a couple of guys who have had one v8 f150 after another... typically driven 100k mi. they both went for top dog (platinum?) f150 ecoboost last time... absolutely love them, no issues and they find the power hilarious and enjoyable.
Old 08-14-23, 09:00 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

jthey find the power hilarious and enjoyable.
It is; I know exactly what they mean. We've had so much fun with it, just extended the rental to keep it and drive it through SF for the next couple days. SF is so deteriorated on the streets I want a huge truck like this for the roads just to err on the safe side.
Old 08-14-23, 08:36 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

just an anecdote but i know a couple of guys who have had one v8 f150 after another... typically driven 100k mi. they both went for top dog (platinum?) f150 ecoboost last time... absolutely love them, no issues and they find the power hilarious and enjoyable.

This might be me if I ever replace my F-150. I've said it in other threads, I love my Coyote. It's perfect, never given me any headache, other than one failed starter that was NBD. It's just over 105k miles right now. I will probably drive it another 100k.

But I could very well see myself in an ecoboost at some point. They unequivocally tow better than the V8 because of that torque curve, meaning they don't have to be revved as high as the V8. The turbo lag would be annoying to get used to but you learn to drive around it after a bit.

I agree with others here that Ford has been a bit behind the competition on interior luxury. I drive lower trims so it's not a big deal to me, but I could see being frustrated paying $80k and getting something not as nice as the Denali. My XLT interior has held up pretty well, minus some wear under my *** from sliding in and out.
Old 08-14-23, 11:15 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 162 Likes on 95 Posts

The 2023 F150 King Ranch is neither a King nor a Ranch. *discuss*
An Ecoboost is neither Eco nor a Boost. *discuss*

Otherwise, very informative reporting! Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-15-23, 07:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I agree with others here that Ford has been a bit behind the competition on interior luxury. I drive lower trims so it's not a big deal to me, but I could see being frustrated paying $80k and getting something not as nice as the Denali. My XLT interior has held up pretty well, minus some wear under my *** from sliding in and out.
Another thing to think about is, do you WANT it to be luxurious inside or more utilitarian?

For instance in shopping for the Pacifica replacement I want it to be a little utilitarian and robust, I'm not looking for a Range Rover inside. Might there be truck buyers who think the luxury car interiors in the Denalis and the Rams are a bit much?
Old 08-15-23, 08:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,605 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Glad you are enjoying the truck. Ford has done a solid job on the F-150s.
Old 08-15-23, 11:13 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 921 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The 2023 F150 King Ranch is neither a King nor a Ranch. *discuss*
An Ecoboost is neither Eco nor a Boost. *discuss*

Otherwise, very informative reporting! Thanks for sharing.
Back in the day I liked the King Ranch for the rawhide leather seats and interior trim package.

Not caddy kind of bling, more rugged but nice.

Sounds like it has changed a bit from those days.

Old 08-15-23, 12:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS

who think the luxury car interiors in the Denalis and the Rams are a bit much?
Just go down a trim to an SLT. Still plenty nice but not the same level as Denali.

A “adjusting my driving to get used to the Ecoboost/lag” some are mentioning, my other mechanic friend told me that as well. I don’t care for that, with a V8 you just floor it. I had to make an emergency pass yesterday on interstate and there was lag I realllly didn’t like.

Quick Reply: 2023 Ford F150 King Ranch 3.5 Ecoboost review