Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

01 GS3 Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-19, 11:46 PM
glawton1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 01 GS3 Build

I've owned this car for a few months now and I figured I should get a thread going. It'd going to be a slow one because I just went back to college, but I've got big plans for this car.

The day I picked it up in the fall

Threw on some ZEAL function T coils, I'm very impressed with these things.

Rolled and pulled to fit the 19x10.5 wedssports in the rear. Bad picture, I know.

GTE swap

I was originally planning to throw these on but I recently came across Cherokee SRT callipers for $150 and I couldn't say no!

HUGE! I ordered ECP brackets for the front, but I'll have to fab up my own for the rears. I have a fair bit of 3d modelling experience and I'm hoping to get some parts made up and get some brackets machined at work for the rear. More updates to come soon!

DISCLAIMER

Cherokee SRT brakes absolutely will not fit your 2gs. This idea was scrapped.

Last edited by glawton1; 05-09-19 at 11:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Justmeez (05-05-19)
Old 05-05-19, 05:10 PM
SlowSedan
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice, looking forward to seeing how you mount up the rear calipers. What's your plans for the GTE swap? Stock install or going single?
Old 05-06-19, 05:58 AM
glawton1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SlowSedan
Nice, looking forward to seeing how you mount up the rear calipers. What's your plans for the GTE swap? Stock install or going single?
Yeah the rears will be a bit of a pain that's for sure lol. I sold the stock ECU and turbos, going for haltech elite and a BW S366 (or similar) for a pretty modest single setup for now. Eventually I'd like to get the car up into the mid 600 wheel area but for now I'd just like to get it on the road.
Old 05-06-19, 10:24 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Can you link to where you bought the brackets and did the fronts bolt right up? I think the GS has less room for brakes because of the location of the tie rod compared to the Supra/SC. I've had my eye on those brakes
Old 05-06-19, 05:06 PM
glawton1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
Can you link to where you bought the brackets and did the fronts bolt right up? I think the GS has less room for brakes because of the location of the tie rod compared to the Supra/SC. I've had my eye on those brakes
We will see. To my knowledge nobody has done the brembo's before.. since I got them for so cheap I figured I'd try. They will require some shaving to fit and I'm not sure about the tie rods. I had to message ECP on Facebook to buy the fronts as they dont have a website yet. If the brackets don't fit I'll probably make my own to make the calipers clear the tie rod. Here are some links that may be helpful

https://m.facebook.com/EximiousCustomParts/
Old 05-06-19, 05:27 PM
tiger4life
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by glawton1
We will see. To my knowledge nobody has done the brembo's before.. since I got them for so cheap I figured I'd try. They will require some shaving to fit and I'm not sure about the tie rods. I had to message ECP on Facebook to buy the fronts as they dont have a website yet. If the brackets don't fit I'll probably make my own to make the calipers clear the tie rod. Here are some links that may be helpful

https://m.facebook.com/EximiousCustomParts/
Progress is looking good but those calipers aren't going to work. I tried them already and there just isn't enough room. I'm assuming whoever made your brackets developed them for the Lexus SC300-400/Toyota Supra. The tie rod on those cars is on the front side, the tie rod is on the back (or caliper) side on the 2GS, IS300, and SC430. I have access to 3d modeling also and couldn't figure out a way to get it to work with 14.2" ISF rotors. I was using a 30 mm rca to push the tie rod down and it still wouldn't work with those caliper because they long and super wide. I later tried CST-V calipers.They are long but slimmer. I used a 15" RCF rotor and 40 mm RCA's to get the caliper as far away as possible from the tie rod. I actually had prototype brackets made but it still required either shaving the tie rod a lot or using super expensive Fig's hi-steer ball joints which don't bend up like the OEM ones. I scrapped that too and was about to give up on a semi-OEM option until suprastore came out with brackets to run LS460 calipers with 14.2" ISF rotors. Even that setup requires an RCA, not sure if the minimum size needed is 17 or 30 mm, but it works. Just need to shave the dust shield and buy better bolts because the ones Suprastore provides suck. Here is a link to a recent build thread that included that setup. I sold just the front two calipers for like $300+ on ebay so at least you'll make some money offloading them.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...und-2-a-3.html
Old 05-06-19, 09:09 PM
glawton1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tiger4life
Progress is looking good but those calipers aren't going to work. I tried them already and there just isn't enough room. I'm assuming whoever made your brackets developed them for the Lexus SC300-400/Toyota Supra. The tie rod on those cars is on the front side, the tie rod is on the back (or caliper) side on the 2GS, IS300, and SC430. I have access to 3d modeling also and couldn't figure out a way to get it to work with 14.2" ISF rotors. I was using a 30 mm rca to push the tie rod down and it still wouldn't work with those caliper because they long and super wide. I later tried CST-V calipers.They are long but slimmer. I used a 15" RCF rotor and 40 mm RCA's to get the caliper as far away as possible from the tie rod. I actually had prototype brackets made but it still required either shaving the tie rod a lot or using super expensive Fig's hi-steer ball joints which don't bend up like the OEM ones. I scrapped that too and was about to give up on a semi-OEM option until suprastore came out with brackets to run LS460 calipers with 14.2" ISF rotors. Even that setup requires an RCA, not sure if the minimum size needed is 17 or 30 mm, but it works. Just need to shave the dust shield and buy better bolts because the ones Suprastore provides suck. Here is a link to a recent build thread that included that setup. I sold just the front two calipers for like $300+ on ebay so at least you'll make some money offloading them.

Well dang.. I really didnt like the supra calipers so I dont regret selling them. Do you think your prototype brackets for the 15in rotors would have worked with the figs hi steer kit? I'm not in a rush to get the brakes on, but I figure since I got such a good deal on them it wouldn't kill me to go that route. It would also reduce the amount of shaving necessary on the mounting side because there would be less interference with the knuckle using the 15in rotors.
Old 05-07-19, 06:28 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Glad that I asked but thats what I was thinking based on my research of the suspension design on our cars. Also did you ever figure out if the ISF rear rotor will work? Someone in your thread said the ISF rear rotor wouldn't with the LS460 rear caliper.

Well dang.. I really didnt like the supra calipers so I dont regret selling them. Do you think your prototype brackets for the 15in rotors would have worked with the figs hi steer kit? I'm not in a rush to get the brakes on, but I figure since I got such a good deal on them it wouldn't kill me to go that route. It would also reduce the amount of shaving necessary on the mounting side because there would be less interference with the knuckle using the 15in rotors.
If you get those brakes to work be sure to post on here how you did it
Old 05-07-19, 10:59 AM
tiger4life
Instructor

The brackets I had made were to mount 6 piston CTS-V calipers. If I would have bought the Fig's balljoints I'm pretty sure everything was going to clear when using the 40 mm RCA. I didn't finish that install for two reasons. I didn't like the idea of having to use specific balljoints that could cease production at any time. The bracket had some bosses on them that were pretty thin in some places and I just wasn't comfortable with that. With regards to the Jeep calipers, I'm not sure if the 15" rotor/40 mm RCA/ Figs's balljoint combo will work or not.

As far as cost:
SRT calipers = $150 (smokin deal)
Figs balljoint = $450
40 mm Sage RCA = $200
Custom bracket = ???
RCF rotor = $130 each on rockauto

LS460 caliper = as low as $90 for the front pair
Suprastore bracket = $175
New bolts and nuts from the dealer = $30
ISF rotor = $90 each on rockauto
30 mm Megan RCA = $70

The more reasonable thing is to sell the SRT calipers and just do the LS460 setup. I do get that sometimes we just want to develop stuff like I did myself.

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
Glad that I asked but thats what I was thinking based on my research of the suspension design on our cars. Also did you ever figure out if the ISF rear rotor will work? Someone in your thread said the ISF rear rotor wouldn't with the LS460 rear caliper
I haven't seen any updates on the rear brake setup.
The following users liked this post:
captainva (05-07-19)
Old 05-07-19, 06:40 PM
glawton1
Driver School Candidate

The brackets I had made were to mount 6 piston CTS-V calipers. If I would have bought the Fig's balljoints I'm pretty sure everything was going to clear when using the 40 mm RCA. I didn't finish that install for two reasons. I didn't like the idea of having to use specific balljoints that could cease production at any time. The bracket had some bosses on them that were pretty thin in some places and I just wasn't comfortable with that. With regards to the Jeep calipers, I'm not sure if the 15" rotor/40 mm RCA/ Figs's balljoint combo will work or not.

As far as cost:
SRT calipers = $150 (smokin deal)
Figs balljoint = $450
40 mm Sage RCA = $200
Custom bracket = ???
RCF rotor = $130 each on rockauto

LS460 caliper = as low as $90 for the front pair
Suprastore bracket = $175
New bolts and nuts from the dealer = $30
ISF rotor = $90 each on rockauto
30 mm Megan RCA = $70

The more reasonable thing is to sell the SRT calipers and just do the LS460 setup. I do get that sometimes we just want to develop stuff like I did myself.

I haven't seen any updates on the rear brake setup.
I agree. I'm not upset about this anyway. I almost doubled my money on the supra brakes, and theres no way I wont double my money on the SRT calipers. Supra guys have stupid money and they'll want them. Lol. The 460 setup actually sounds pretty good, I like that it's still fully serviceable for a reasonable price, I wanted Endless but I plan to daily the car, so that would just be silly. I might just sell the SRT calipers and focus on getting the swap done for now. Hopefully I can get after it soon and keep the updates coming
Old 05-08-19, 03:32 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

someone mounted RC-F brakes on the GS in one of the FB groups.. I think he posted on CL also..

Last edited by tmf2004; 05-09-19 at 05:19 AM.
Old 05-08-19, 10:01 PM
glawton1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tmf2004
someone mounted RC-F brakes on the GS in one the FB groups.. I think he posted on CL also..
The more I look at the 460 brakes the more I like the idea. I've decided to sell the brembo's and go that route. For the record, I sold the supra brakes because the cardone reproductions were horrible. Half the pistons were too scratched up to use, and I took the calipers apart before I even put them on any car.
Old 05-09-19, 05:04 AM
tiger4life
Instructor

Originally Posted by tmf2004
someone mounted RC-F brakes on the GS in one the FB groups.. I think he posted on CL also..
I don't have a Facebook but I'm pretty sure the same guy was a member on here (his car was black but I'm too lazy to go find his post). I asked him about it when he was having it done and he said some shop was making custom brackets for him and installing it for $2000. He didn't provide too much more info so I left it alone, especially since RCF calipers are expensive.
Old 05-09-19, 05:21 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

I don't have a Facebook but I'm pretty sure the same guy was a member on here (his car was black but I'm too lazy to go find his post). I asked him about it when he was having it done and he said some shop was making custom brackets for him and installing it for $2000. He didn't provide too much more info so I left it alone, especially since RCF calipers are expensive.
The one i saw on FB was a white GS and the calipers were Orange i think.. I remember who you are talking about.. I tried to look at his post but didn't see it. He was pretty hush hush about it you're right.
Old 05-09-19, 05:25 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

The more I look at the 460 brakes the more I like the idea. I've decided to sell the brembo's and go that route. For the record, I sold the supra brakes because the cardone reproductions were horrible. Half the pistons were too scratched up to use, and I took the calipers apart before I even put them on any car.
I think one the best bang for your buck is the Wilwood kits. Here is 6 piston set for a pretty good price.. I have the 4 piston setup and came that came with everything.

6 piston
http://www.a-r-z.com/Lexus-GEN2-GS30...-BBK_p_34.html

4 piston
http://www.a-r-z.com/Lexus-GEN2-GS30...-BBK_p_25.html

Quick Reply: 01 GS3 Build