YannG's 05 Lexus LS430 Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-19, 07:54 AM
YannG
Intermediate

Received 154 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Update - Center Console Modified Ashtray

Hello all,

Quick update - I modified the center console ashtray so that I can hide the Air Lift Performance Controller!

Now you see it:

Now you dont :

Few pictures of the LS at the beach!

Thanks for looking
Yann
Old 06-13-19, 08:56 AM
YannG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Romanova
Fogs look great, are those the OEM bulbs in them? I can't imagine installing them with the bumper on... especially when the bumper comes off in 20 minutes.

Keep up the good work!
Yes they are the standard OEM bulbs, look great and work well at night!
Old 06-25-19, 07:26 PM
ChopsGS
Driver

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Great build and documenting of the entire thing! Hope to see more!
Old 07-01-19, 07:16 AM
YannG
Intermediate

Default LS430 - Ashtray Alternative

Hello All,

Little Update - I managed to purchase the front center console ashtray alternative on ebay for super cheap !

It wasnt in the best condition and quite frankly dont think it had even been cleaned. I used some fabric cleaner, a soft toothbrush and some water to clean the main heavy dirt and grime.

As you can see from the pictures below the material was peeling off, it was stained and glue was visible:

I took the unit apart carefully and separated the ashtray alternative from its casing/surround:

I bought some black velvet Sticky Back Adhesive Sheets on amazon and got to cutting the basic shapes of the ashtray.

Below is the final result! I am extremely happy with the outcome, I personally think it looks great and can barely tell it isn't OEM.

I had to disassemble the center console and replace the ashtray:

Old cover / my current cover

Whilst I had everything dismantled I thoroughly cleaned all the brackets/casings

How It looks in the car :

As always, thanks for looking.

Yann
Old 07-01-19, 12:13 PM
JJLS430
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is really cool Yann...very well done. Does the wood trim on the compartment door swap over with little effort?

Jeff
Old 07-02-19, 08:47 AM
YannG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ChopsGS
Great build and documenting of the entire thing! Hope to see more!
Thanks ChopsGS!

Originally Posted by JJLS430
This is really cool Yann...very well done. Does the wood trim on the compartment door swap over with little effort?

Jeff
Thank you Jeff! The wood trim on the compartment door is held down with 3 screws and is very easy to take off. I think I documented how to remove the center console trim earlier on in my build. But once you have the panel with the seat cooling option off, remove the shifter chrome surround and carefully pull up the center console. Once that is off, unplug the cigarette lighter and unscrew the ashtray then you have access to the 3 screws to remove the compartment door.

Last edited by YannG; 07-02-19 at 08:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JJLS430 (07-02-19)
Old 07-14-19, 12:10 PM
LS430Z32TT
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome work Yann. Car looks amazing. I think it looks great on OEM wheels, too.
Question regarding the smog/air quality sensor.
I assume this has to do with the 'auto' setting on the re-circulation/fresh vent setting. Did you notice any difference after cleaning it?
I notice that my auto always defaults to the recirc and am hoping that if I clean the smog sensor, that won't be the case.
Old 07-15-19, 06:51 AM
YannG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LS430Z32TT
Awesome work Yann. Car looks amazing. I think it looks great on OEM wheels, too.
Question regarding the smog/air quality sensor.
I assume this has to do with the 'auto' setting on the re-circulation/fresh vent setting. Did you notice any difference after cleaning it?
I notice that my auto always defaults to the recirc and am hoping that if I clean the smog sensor, that won't be the case.
Thanks for the kind words LS430Z32TT and regarding the SMOG/air quality sensor I didn't notice a difference after cleaning it. I only cleaned it using compressed air, perhaps that wasn't enough? I think my auto setting also defaults to recirc...
Old 08-12-19, 11:51 AM
YannG
Intermediate

Default LS430 Update - New Wheels

Hello all,

After searching for quite some time I finally managed to purchase a set of wheels that I have always wanted and dreamed of owning! 19"Gold Work VS-XX / stepped lip. I honestly wasn't looking for "gold wheels" but these came up locally and couldn't pass up the opportunity as they were very well priced. Either way, I think they work pretty well with the white however I think I'll get them repainted in a dark grey / anthracite color sometime next year.

As soon as I got them I headed down to SuperStar Customs to get them test-fitted, as I wasn't sure how much work would be needed to make them fit with OEM arms .

The wheel specs are: Fronts 19x9.5 ET25 / Rears 19x10.5 ET21:

Remove all 4 wheels and started trimming/shaving the rear arches. No modifications were done to the front fenders apart from removing the thin plastic trim that goes on the arch itself.

Test fitting the rears:

The fitment IMO is perfect and just what I was looking for on the rear - Body arch to wheel lip

A couple of pictures of the car with her new wheels!

I absolutely LOVE how the car looks and couldn't be happier with the fitment (for now, as I will most likely need aftermarket camber arms if I want to tuck + a slight rear fender pull...)

All comments welcomed.

Thanks,
Yann
Old 08-12-19, 01:32 PM
onthelo
Intermediate

Received 125 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by YannG
Hello all,

After searching for quite some time I finally managed to purchase a set of wheels that I have always wanted and dreamed of owning! 19"Gold Work VS-XX / stepped lip. I honestly wasn't looking for "gold wheels" but these came up locally and couldn't pass up the opportunity as they were very well priced. Either way, I think they work pretty well with the white however I think I'll get them repainted in a dark grey / anthracite color sometime next year.

As soon as I got them I headed down to SuperStar Customs to get them test-fitted, as I wasn't sure how much work would be needed to make them fit with OEM arms .

The wheel specs are: Fronts 19x9.5 ET25 / Rears 19x10.5 ET21:

Remove all 4 wheels and started trimming/shaving the rear arches. No modifications were done to the front fenders apart from removing the thin plastic trim that goes on the arch itself.

Test fitting the rears:

The fitment IMO is perfect and just what I was looking for on the rear - Body arch to wheel lip

A couple of pictures of the car with her new wheels!

I absolutely LOVE how the car looks and couldn't be happier with the fitment (for now, as I will most likely need aftermarket camber arms if I want to tuck + a slight rear fender pull...)

All comments welcomed.

Thanks,
Yann

Looks awesome bro! The rear will tuck without arms just do a slight fender pull I have done that same wheel +18 on the rear and tucked them no arms all OEM. She is coming along nicely and quality to boot. Well done!
Old 08-12-19, 03:11 PM
kos
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 98 Posts

Ohhhh Yann that is good. Really like those specs.
Old 08-14-19, 01:36 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 416 Likes on 343 Posts

That looks great! I love the wheels. I can’t believe you got such an aggressive stance in the rear on factory arms. That’s very impressive!
Old 08-14-19, 01:58 PM
Ellesse
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts

Nice job man, looks really good! I kind of regret going with a static drop now
Old 08-19-19, 09:44 PM
woaitaimei
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

i got a set of vs-xx but been saving up for coilovers.....my offsets are a lot weaker and not stepped. Your car looks dope! makes me feel good about my purchase
Old 08-20-19, 06:52 AM
YannG
Intermediate

Default Wheel update - Extensive cleaning session

Hello all,

We are now mid-august and winter is just around the corner, so I decided to clean my wheels thoroughly and protect them as much as I could.

The actual wheel faces weren't that dirty but the inner barrels were. I honestly spent a good 3-4 hours cleaning them one by one, front and back with a wheel brush and finally applying a wheel sealant. Time will tell how good the product is.

As you can see below, the barrels were super dirty so I sprayed some Chemical Guys wheel cleaner and let the product do its thing!

I then scrubbed with a wheel brush and a towel until I was happy with the result.

Last step was to apply the Chemical Guys wheel sealant:

I let the sealant sit for 10 mins then buffed it out!

Applied some tyre shine

-Before cleaning the car and driving back home, I noticed my steering wheel did not retract like it used to. After some research on the forum I can across this DIY "https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-write-up.html" and decided to change the Telescoping bushing.

I removed the 2 -10mm bolts and the bracket and removed the bushing ( PN 45768 ). It was infact worn down and partially torn.

Like the DIY states, the softness of the rubber has a shelf life and will deteriorate over time, especially when associated with any petroleum products like grease. A damaged bushing is known to cause binding and minor squeaking during retraction or extension of the steering wheel (wich were the symptoms I had...)

I cleaned the bushing and nut and replaced it with a new one and cleaned the threads of the jackscrew and lubricated it with white lithium grease however to no avail.

I still have the same symptoms, so may need to have a look at the motor next.

I then proceeded to wash, dry and wax the car :

the typical "gas station" pic

As always all comments welcomed!

Thanks,
Yann
The following users liked this post:
CSTU9327 (09-07-19)

Quick Reply: YannG's 05 Lexus LS430 Build thread