GS400 Phase Two: Forced Induction Procharger - Page 3 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

GS400 Phase Two: Forced Induction Procharger

Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM   #31
clos430
Lexus Test Driver

Aww YES! I'm loving this thread! Thanks for the details and I mean all the details your adding on this build. You and Badblack are confusing the hell out of me to whether go roots type supercharger or centrifugal.
clos430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:51 AM   #32
GS400V8
Pole Position

Thanks clos430!

It is really no problem, I'm actually learning alot, especially about oil fittings for both superchargers and turbochargers. The dash-number AN (army navy) fittings, BSPT (british thread or ISO tapered), NPT (national pipe thread) and all their SAE x thread equivalents. Also learning how to build my own AN fitting hoses with steel braided lines and those are cool because the male nipples go inside of the hose that gets clamped down and threaded. This creates a perfect seal for gas, oil, or coolant if done properly and can be re-used with different fittings later, cut to different lengths, and last decades because of their rigidity. I will add alot more info to this thread everytime I update the build which is often.

As for roots/screw top mount blowers vs. centrifugal, the roots/screw type win the sound category no question. They also have more bottom end which probably feels almost similar to the low-end torque of the V12 motor in the Aston I drove.

The centrifugal/prochargers almost sound inbetween a turbo and roots type whine, sometimes with a whiff of turbine plane sound to my ears, and sometimes unfortunately have that "bad alternating bearing" sound, but if it's the right frequency it can sound cool. This is luck I think, and I am mainly judging from videos because I haven't seen too many prochargers in person.

The other question is if you want to cool the charge air chemically with methanol on the roots, or physically with an intercooler on the procharger, with the option to also use methanol if wanted. I believe the amount of methanol sprayed has to be factored into the tune as well.

Last edited by GS400V8; Today at 12:00 PM.
GS400V8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:54 PM   #33
kitabel
Pole Position

The centrifugals (and NA/T turbos) are advertised as "provides correct cylinder-to-cylinder air distribution because (unlike a top-mounted Eaton, GMC etc.) it uses the stock manifold". I'm not sure how accurate that is, boost doesn't automatically follow the NA air path, and one of the major mods to an L6 manifold is a giant increase in cross-section at cylinder #1, tapering way down to smallest at #6 to equalize the pressure delivery.
The UZ has a height problem in the original config - the head and manifold ports are "submerged" (dual 90 degree angles in the port) to allow a low plenum, which is definitely not optimum. When you put a blower case on top, it's worse. The actual Sprintex, Autorotor SRM, KenneBell, etc. "twin screw" (meaning: has internal compression and completely asymmetrical rotors, unlike Roots variants) is very nice but AFAIK seldom available used and big $$$. The bigger Eatons are more primitive but available for a few hundred $$, try to get a number equal to half your displacement in inches such as 1UZ = 242" (61" per liter), the Eaton M112 or M122 is a great fit running at 2 X engine speed. The cheaper and more common M90 won't give as much boost, higher charge temperature, and M62, M45 etc. below that not worth investing IMHO.
kitabel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:34 PM   #34
GS400V8
Pole Position

I agree, I believe that no bolt-on aftermarket unit provides 100% cylinder to cylinder air distribution.
Mainly because, like you said, the runners aren't designed this way. For example, in a perfect situation, the runner to cylinder #1 would have the same length as cylinder #6.
But one could say that this effect doesn't even matter as much, because air is compressed and forced into the cylinder so maybe the negative effects are outweighed?
Also, the 1UZFE and 3UZFE supposedly have pretty smooth flowing ports into the cylinders and I'm sure the 2JZ is the same.
I know I was surprised when I heard of the turbos mounted in the valley of the 4.0L V8 in the newer Mercedes AMG GTS.
Apparently the exhaust to turbo is so short that it has virtually no lag. The V8 torque probably helps, but I know someone who had that car and said it was very linear for a turbo.
GS400V8 is online now   Reply With Quote