Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 2GS owner vehicles

Eric's GS300 Storm-trooper Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-16, 07:17 AM
ericherm1
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys.... that itch is really tingling for some boost....
Old 03-03-16, 08:00 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ericherm1
Thanks guys.... that itch is really tingling for some boost....
Ha Ha that's exactly why I didn't buy a 300 so I won't get tempted.
Old 03-03-16, 08:06 AM
ericherm1
Driver

Originally Posted by plex
Ha Ha that's exactly why I didn't buy a 300 so I won't get tempted.
The problem is I only have 80k miles on mine so if I were to do a swap I would have to find a GTE with less than 80k miles..... I don't think it would be worth anything if I put in a motor more used than the one coming out.

Or maybe ... an LS7..... Dreams .....
Old 03-03-16, 12:19 PM
SoCal Cyco
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

go na-t...
Old 03-04-16, 10:48 AM
ericherm1
Driver

Originally Posted by SoCal Cyco
go na-t...
Hmm interesting
Old 03-04-16, 10:51 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Hmm interesting
You can still source new 2jzgte bottom end. Use that with your current head
Old 03-19-16, 01:05 PM
timherb20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What size tires did you end up using for the 19's??
Old 03-19-16, 09:27 PM
ericherm1
Driver

Originally Posted by timherb20
What size tires did you end up using for the 19's??
I went with:
245/35r19 Front
275/30r19 Rear
Old 05-09-16, 06:23 PM
ericherm1
Driver

Default Custom Center Dash Vent

Got bored the past few months, tried to install the lip which was just a disappointment but that's what you get with replica eBay parts.

Anyhow, I've changed out the center vent module with a black one to match the radio and HVAC controller. I also swapped out the vent blades with the beige ones. I think it looks pretty trick, check them out!

Since I have to take apart the door panels to swap the speakers I'm going to do the power folding mirrors. I've figured out how to swap just the motor part allowing me to keep everything else by using the power of forum search! I'll post more as I go. Still trying to locate a set of Taiwanese door ecu boxes so it basically becomes plug and play well mostly.
Old 05-10-16, 06:46 AM
bteeter
Driver School Candidate

Purchased Dec 2015
GS300 69k Pearl White w/Beige leather

My kids call it a Storm-trooper so I guess that's what it is now!

Here is the lot picture from the online dealer add:

A week after I brought her home, cleaned it up. Removed black door stoppers and some smaller blind spot mirrors suck on the mirror glass.

First thing I did was add a strut tower bar.

Then the add hock GPS had to go.... picked up a used Pioneer off eBay but turned out it had it's own issues but was lucky enough the seller gave me a full refund after I returned it.

So many plans for this car. Since I sold my Vette this has become my new toy. I'm really struggling with what rim style and offset to go with.
Eric, very much enjoyed seeing your updates, nice work. Can you direct me in where to look for strut replacement guidelines and recommended brans, mounts, etc.
Thx,
Brian
Old 05-10-16, 07:01 AM
ericherm1
Driver

Originally Posted by bteeter
Eric, very much enjoyed seeing your updates, nice work. Can you direct me in where to look for strut replacement guidelines and recommended brans, mounts, etc.
Thx,
Brian
There are a few threads here on how to replace them. It's pretty easy, I reccomend purchasing a compact car ball joint puller for $10 and a set of spring compressors $20 (to take the tension off the strut making it easier to pull out) at your local auto parts store.

I was stationed in Japan for a few years so is just went with what I knew. I had a set of Teins on my GTR and my 240 so they were the top brand in my book. The Cusco ones are good too. Mine were around $700 shipped brand new.

Hope this helps!

Eric
Old 05-10-16, 07:13 AM
bteeter
Driver School Candidate

There are a few threads here on how to replace them. It's pretty easy, I reccomend purchasing a compact car ball joint puller for $10 and a set of spring compressors $20 (to take the tension off the strut making it easier to pull out) at your local auto parts store.

I was stationed in Japan for a few years so is just went with what I knew. I had a set of Teins on my GTR and my 240 so they were the top brand in my book. The Cusco ones are good too. Mine were around $700 shipped brand new.

Hope this helps!

Eric
Eric,
So the average KYB's or other similar products are not as good? I have seen threads recommending mounts from Lexus rather than using what comes with the after market struts, any comment?

I have replace similar on my Mercedes and older J30 Infinity without much problem.

Brian
'06 GS300
Old 05-10-16, 08:55 AM
ericherm1
Driver

Originally Posted by bteeter
Eric,
So the average KYB's or other similar products are not as good? I have seen threads recommending mounts from Lexus rather than using what comes with the after market struts, any comment?

I have replace similar on my Mercedes and older J30 Infinity without much problem.

Brian
'06 GS300
I'm not sure, I guess they would be as good if not better than stock. Like I said before I went with what I knew and that was Tein. I don't really trust non-name brand suspension parts. I know KYB is name brand and what I do have were not performance rated versions.

Upper mounts are very important. These you should not ever go non-name brand or just stay stock. The ones I went with came with the upper mounts and they are very quiet. Just use the plastic spacer that goes between the strut and the strut mount.
Old 05-29-16, 09:20 PM
ericherm1
Driver

Default Power Folding Mirror Install

Hey guys, the itch couldn't be satisfied for long. My wife's Escalade has power folding mirrors which motivated me to do them on the Storm-trooper.

I searched through the forum and muddled around the many many threads on how to do this project and found a couple of ways to accomplish this.

Here is a parts list if your going to attempt this on your own:

JDM power folding mirrors
Honda G8D-95U-F Power folding mirror Relay (eBay around $25 at the time of this post)
Switch (I used OEM with LHD bezel)

I first tried to use standard relays but ended up burning up my drivers side folding mirror motor because the relay set up didn't have a timed shut off. Figured I needed 15 second timed relays on the mirror wires. Priced them out and it was cheaper to use a Honda folding mirror relay instead, as was mentioned in another thread.

Here are some of the pictures of my venture.

Here the power mirror wires can be plugged into the USDM plug in the empty slots.

If you want to retain your heated, auto-tint, memory, and USDM mirror glass you have to cut the wires and solder them back after you run then through the motor.

Most sets of JDM mirrors you buy off eBay will come with the female plugs which makes it easier to connect using the OEM harness and just running two wires through the door.

In this picture you can see the JDM motor wires hanging free out of the USDM harness. Using a needle you can pop the plug and slide the connectors in.

I found a Taiwan LHD OEM bezel that came with the mirror switches. These are SUPER HARD to find and the part number for the mine is:
#8487050280E0

A quick picture of it right out of the box:

Here is the Honda relay installed (black box with blue plug) and the ground location I used just across from it (white wire).

Here is the bezel installed:

And last but not least a video proving the Honda relay works as stated with the OEM Toyota folding mirror button.

Old 05-29-16, 09:23 PM
ericherm1
Driver

I think next I'll work on the side skirts! Need to test all the puddle lights before I send them off to paint. Still trying to locate a genuine Greddy front lip!

Quick Reply: Eric's GS300 Storm-trooper Build