Build Threads Details on Club Lexus 1IS owner vehicles

17 years old learning and having fun

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-15, 02:07 PM
Trider98
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17 years old learning and having fun

This will be a build thread of my drift car from when I first bought it, to the different changes I make, and the progress of me learning how to drift......

To Start...

- Im 17, ever since I was a kid my mom had an sc400 and I loved it as I got older I started doing more and more research on cars (mainly lexus), my dad always had corvettes and mustangs (car dealer), and we would always be going sideways or burning rubber some sort of way, once I got my license I knew what I wanted to do....DRIFT so the search was on...........Before you say mommy and daddy bought me this or are paying for everything your wrong!!! Every time I got money growing up I would save as much as possible because I would tell myself "when your older your going to want to do something fun so keep saving" now I have 2 jobs and I work hard for what I have.

- Anyway my car is a 2002 is300 manual with 187k, welded diff, E-brake button, and coil-overs

- The car was a drift car before I bought it, no I'm not the reason for all the dings and dents

- Heres what it looked like when I got it

Last edited by Trider98; 06-29-15 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-30-15, 08:52 AM
Scratchy
Rookie

good starting point. plans for the car?

I think I have a spare LSD from a manual if you ever want it.
Old 06-30-15, 02:20 PM
Trider98
Driver School Candidate

- After having the car about 2 weeks I took it to my first event which from everyones feed back I did really well for my age and being my first time drifting ( Iv gone to 3 events currently )

- I also noticed the smell of burning oil, after doing some research and looking around my car I noticed I had a pretty bad valve cover gasket leak so that was put on the to do list

- Also decided the car was in bad need of some attention for its looks so I did a few things
- took of the black pin stripe that went all the way around the car
- painted the interior trim......the goo on the trim looked awful
- plasti dipped my front bumper, fog lights and side indicators also changed all zip ties to black

Old 06-30-15, 02:27 PM
Trider98
Driver School Candidate

Scratchy
good starting point. plans for the car?

I think I have a spare LSD from a manual if you ever want it.
As of right now do to my age and income I don't want to blow all my money on a turbo.....so basics such as intake, header and exhaust for now, and I want to learn more about mechanics and how to property do maintenance and what not because my dad is a car dealer not a mechanic so I'm learning everything through research online

Long term ( 2 years hopefully ) would be turbo with roughly 350hp
Old 07-03-15, 11:45 AM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

Good job on cleaning it up. The dash looks good and so does the front end

I would not waste your money on I/H/E. For the amount of money spent on bolt ons, doesnt justify for minimal hp gains. I would say, just throw on a catback and save for other stuff, like suspension. This is where you want to focus on, because it tends to be costly. Figs has awesome stuff for the IS300 poly bushings and suspension.
Old 07-10-15, 05:59 PM
Trider98
Driver School Candidate

Good job on cleaning it up. The dash looks good and so does the front end

I would not waste your money on I/H/E. For the amount of money spent on bolt ons, doesnt justify for minimal hp gains. I would say, just throw on a catback and save for other stuff, like suspension. This is where you want to focus on, because it tends to be costly. Figs has awesome stuff for the IS300 poly bushings and suspension.
Thanks man I appreciate it, and yea I will defiantly look into some suspension parts probably after this season ends just so I can save money for now unless I find a deal on used parts, thanks for the suggestion
Old 07-10-15, 06:10 PM
Trider98
Driver School Candidate

Update....

- After plasti dipping the front bumper and trim ( that stuff is addicting lol )
I decided to mess around just for the fun of it and draw on the plasti dip because I seen a pic where some guys wife drew all over his car and it looked awesome but Im no artist so it came out crappy but Im ok with it because it was a cool experience and its funny ( I drew on it after the event so don't think it wash off I used sharpie and its held up for 2 months now )

- painted the lip the guy gave me which came out pretty good ( took it off for the event so it doesn't get ripped off )

- I also have a few action shots that the photographers took so here ya go.....

- I will try to make updates every week, no guarantees but I will do my best

Old 07-15-15, 06:39 AM
Trider98
Driver School Candidate

Exhaust

- so a buddy of mine with an sc300 had his old OBX header laying around and gave it to me so I was pretty excited about that, but I know the is300 header has two outlets where the sc300 only has one so some fabrication will be necessary, and I picked up a down pipe (y pipe) for 75$ finally I also got an intake for 25$ (already have it installed) and forgive me for buying used cheap stuff but again I'm only 17 and on a budget so I'm doing the best I can

- The plan is to remove everything and get as far as possible I will let you know how it goes

Old 08-06-15, 03:02 PM
Trider98
Driver School Candidate

Default Turbo?

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile been busy, but I did get a new exhaust other one got ripped off while doing some drifting, and the most important news, IM GETTING A TURBO, its the peter farrel stage one turbo kit (PFS) the guys is selling me the turbo, bov, intercooler and all the piping, manifold, down pipe, full exhaust, and oil feed lines, so i am new to this but if I'm not mistaken I will just need a tuner and a few other little things, now I'm only looking for 300 hp I don't have the money to go crazy so just looking for a little bit more torque/power the tuner i will get is apex safc, and i will get wideband and boost gauge, i will also take it to a shop to get dynode and tuned professionally, I am planning on staying stock internals and everything, because i think about 7lb of boost hopefully around 300hp I should be ok but correct me if I'm wrong!!!

If you guys have any tips for a newbie, or recommendations that would be great, i have done countless hours of research but I'm all over the place my brain hurts lol so i think i have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting into, but if u guys have any tips/concerns please let me know before I go pick it up Monday Thanks
Old 08-06-15, 03:14 PM
Michael3UZ
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

300hp at 7psi will be easily obtainable.

An aftermarket ECU tuned correctly with a good turbo setup at that boost level would probably see closer to 325-350hp with ease.

Depends on what turbo you do use etc. I'd go for something smaller with good quick response for low rpm efficiency .
Old 08-06-15, 03:29 PM
Trider98
Driver School Candidate

300hp at 7psi will be easily obtainable.

An aftermarket ECU tuned correctly with a good turbo setup at that boost level would probably see closer to 325-350hp with ease.

Depends on what turbo you do use etc. I'd go for something smaller with good quick response for low rpm efficiency .
good to hear, and the turbo he is selling me is a 67mm